PDA

View Full Version : BoW announcment regarding GW

daboarder
10-04-2013, 05:26 PM
So BOW that fantastic youtube channel has a new announcment to make regarding GW.

Verilance
10-04-2013, 06:27 PM
BoW lost me a while ago, their content used to be good to watch but the move to Essex seemed to take a spark out of them.

ElectricPaladin
10-04-2013, 07:20 PM
God... Games Workshop does not know how to stop punching itself in the face.

Bigred
10-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Ahh,

Long story short:

The new 2013 contractual terms for vendors in the UK meant that because Wayland Games and Beasts of War were business partners, GW could use BoW's GW coverage as an excuse to consider WG in breach of contract. That would enable GW to hold shipment of new product by 30 days to WG, crippling them in the online retailer world where first to market wins the game.

This is an unsustainable risk for WG, so they cut the cord with BoW who is now off on their own again.

This type of thing happens in the US as well with retailers who have online blogs.

mathhammer
10-04-2013, 07:43 PM
From today (Friday 4th October 2013) Beasts of War and Wayland Games are ending the partnership we have worked very hard to create.

GW new terms about not leaking information.

Lukas The Trickster
10-05-2013, 12:47 AM
BoW always sailed a bit close to the wind when it came to GW and its IP, I always wondered how they got away with showing the leaked sketches of the flyers and Necron stuff (it seems they didn't), the last thing I heard was that they got their camera confiscated at Games Day last weekend (GW does not allow filming for professional purposes at its events apparently). Reading between the lines I would imagine that their new studio space in Nottingham is probably at Mantic Games premises; they have always had a good relationship with them and as Mantic only stock their own products GW's recourse over BoW's content is limited short of outright civil law suit. I really hope BoW keep going; I don't always agree with everything they put out but their coverage and opinions have always been refreshingly independent and with the consumers best interests at heart. I love GW's products, but as a company their business practices are colder than Amanda Holdens soul.

Deadlift
10-05-2013, 01:12 AM
BoW lost me a while ago, their content used to be good to watch but the move to Essex seemed to take a spark out of them.

I would agree with this, but also the lack of GW coverage lost my interest in their site too. I cancelled my back stage pass as a result and signed up to MWG instead. Now I know why.
Obviously they are pretty good at covering other games systems, but no one I know plays anything but 40k.

Having just watched Warrens video about the situation, it's obvious BoW are going though some changes and are asking for community support to ensure the business continues. I will renew my backstage pass and hope they are able to go back to having some 40k content.

Blusox69
10-05-2013, 01:25 AM
It's a real shame. I don't know why GW are so scared of leaks and speculation hurting their future releases. Most companies release product road maps at the very least. I didn't buy any Tau stuff from GW for almost 2 years because they were nearing a refresh cycle and I didn't want to waste money on units that wouldn't be any good in a few months time. If I'd have known when it was due and an idea of what then I'd have continued to add to my army, I can't see a scenario where knowing about the release before hand would have reduced what I bought, in fact I've had saved up more of my disposable income and bought more on release day.

All I can think of is that they can't stand the idea if people making a little money off of their work like BoW did through their subscriptions. Odd considering how much GWs lawyers are probably making off of them at the moment.

Wolfshade
10-05-2013, 01:26 AM
Breaking News! Company enforces its Ts & Cs...

...also isn't this more Wargames Corporate than specifically 40k news?

Lukas The Trickster
10-05-2013, 01:30 AM
I don't know if anyone has checked this place out: http://www.ttcombat.com - perhaps not as slick or with as much content as the likes of BoW or Miniwargaming, but its a relatively new channel and they seem like a nice bunch of lads, the 'Wargamers no-one wants to play' always makes me chuckle.

Lukas The Trickster
10-05-2013, 01:40 AM

I respect the right of companies to protect their IP, but IMHO it should be pursued through civil IP law, as they did (or tried to) in the CHS case, not through enforcing oppressive contractual T&C's on its stockists that basically amount to corporate bully boy tactics.

daboarder
10-05-2013, 01:45 AM

To be honest. I think the situation is not that simple. From what waren was saying it seems as if GW sends the a e c&ds out for just reporting wargaming news that includes their product. As warrent said in this instance they went with thw contract but it seems clear they are also abusing the c&d system to get around fair use. And reporting on information as news (even leaked info) is protected.

hisdudeness
10-05-2013, 07:40 AM
Only problem is that UK doesn't have 'fair use', they have 'fair dealing' which is much more restrictive. When this came up awhile back it was pointed out that while reporting/reviewing is covered, the material has to be released to the public.

Even if the product is shipped to dealers, the dealer contract covers non-disclosure before release date. GW is covered by law here.

Bigred
10-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Thread moved to Wargaming Corporate - please carry on.

Also, Blood of Kittens (http://bloodofkittens.com/blog/2013/10/04/network-news-gw-legal-attacks-wayland-beasts-war/) weighs in...

daboarder
10-08-2013, 04:31 AM
the frustrated thing, they we're doing so well to engender the idea of a changed company with a new direction....this last few months, yeah back to the same old dick move GW.

Miniwargaming gives his thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY0g2EtPwmE

Kaptain Badrukk
10-08-2013, 04:48 AM
Meh.
I will continue to not care either way TBH.
The whole Chapterhouse thing was interesting as it effected the toys I potentially had access to, as far as I can see here this is a case of;
"We're reporting on leaked information GW doesn't want us to, so GW used a legal (if slightly prickish) cut off to the source of those leaks."
Since GW isn't killing off any models with new releases it's fair to say that, worst case scenario, if nothing EVER leaked i might buy some out of date (and likely cheaper) minis.

Wolfshade
10-08-2013, 04:59 AM
It is the same way that car dealerships know what models are to be released and how many of which model they will buy/be allocated before the official annoucement, but they don't advertise it in advance of the corporate launch as it is confidential information until that point.

daboarder
10-08-2013, 01:46 PM
It is the same way that car dealerships know what models are to be released and how many of which model they will buy/be allocated before the official annoucement, but they don't advertise it in advance of the corporate launch as it is confidential information until that point.

This isn't IP protection though wolfshade.

GW already tried to stop BoW with a cease and desist. that was framed within UK IP law and BoW were able to show how what they do does not violate said IP law, we know this is the case because BoW are still running without any of their GW related videos being pulled.

As such GW had to turn this into a contractual matter to get their own way. Basically you have to ask, if protecting their IP is not the issue, why on earth are they atcting like this.