PDA

View Full Version : "Game Night Kit" cards

Eberk
10-10-2013, 05:41 AM
Hi,

What about those 'oversized' cards ? Are they better than the normal ones ? Are they just 'nice to haves' ? What can you do with them in a normal game ?

(I only have the Tie Advanced & Y-wing expansions at the moment, waiting for my starter box and 2 more expansions)

Thanks for the info

Nabterayl
10-10-2013, 11:47 AM
EDIT: I'm not sure I see anything here (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4344) about oversized pilot cards, actually. But if there were such a thing, this would be my response:

They look like somewhere between "skippable" and "nice to have" to me. I think it would depend on your playspace, though. Most places where I find myself playing X-wing can already get kind of crowded when you lay out your regular-sized pilot cards. Bigger cards would just exacerbate that problem. On the other hand, if you tend to have more "sideboard" space, larger cards could be nice. I do sometimes wish that my pilot cards were a bit bigger, so that I could stack all the tokens relevant for that pilot on his or her card without obscuring the text of the card or the artwork quite so much.

Eberk
10-10-2013, 02:36 PM
EDIT: I'm not sure I see anything here (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4344) about oversized pilot cards, actually. But if there were such a thing, this would be my response:

look here (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3824) for oversized cards. (I wrongly assumed all game night kits cards were oversized)

between "skippable" and "nice to have" you say, OK, I'll focus on getting expansions first and maybe later I'll try to get some of those cards. Thanks.

Nabterayl
10-10-2013, 03:41 PM
If they aren't giving oversized cards for all pilots, and it looks like they aren't, then I would say the whole thing is skippable from a gameplay standpoint. Obviously I understand the appeal from a collecting standpoint, but I don't see them adding much in the way of play value.

Patrick Boyle
10-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Whether they're worth it or not seems beside the point unless you're a game store owner. These Game Night kits appear to be products for retailers looking to host, well, X-wing game nights, given what they contain and the fact you can only buy them through Business to Business(B2B) store or through the distributor.

Eberk
10-11-2013, 12:58 AM
Whether they're worth it or not seems beside the point unless you're a game store owner. These Game Night kits appear to be products for retailers looking to host, well, X-wing game nights, given what they contain and the fact you can only buy them through Business to Business(B2B) store or through the distributor.
There are other ways to get them you know ;) Yesterday I was looking at a site where you can buy and sell things online (:rolleyes:) and several of those cards were for sale for just a couple of dollars.
(and that triggered my question, whether I should buy them or weren't worth the money)