PDA

View Full Version : New dark elf background, the good and the bad (spoilers)

angrybear
10-14-2013, 01:56 AM
After finally reading the new dark elf book I am pleased with the new fluff. Overall I think Matt Ward did a fantastic job.

The good:
-The dark elves feel more powerful in the fluff and more of a threat to Ulthuan.
-I love the new see battles with Lokir Fellheart. It shows the strength of the dark elf fleet.
-Morathi got an interesting backstory with Tyrion and I like it. Double crossing Malekith to be double crossed by Hellebron.
-Malekith got a better background. I love the battle with Slaneesh and the reference to the warp. He feels more powerful then before.
-Better view of the political schemes and loved the fluff about the 8 dread lords having the power if united to defeat and overthrow Malekith.

The bad:
-I felt the numerous crazy sacrifices to khaine a bit over the top. Sacrificing half your army to get a blessing doesn't sound like a great plan.

Mr Mystery
10-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Fave thing for me is the Good/Ambigious/Evil triumvate of Elves now, with the Asrai finally being given a decent place at the table!

Small change, but makes the Elven race as a whole feel better planted!

angrybear
10-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Fave thing for me is the Good/Ambigious/Evil triumvate of Elves now, with the Asrai finally being given a decent place at the table!

Small change, but makes the Elven race as a whole feel better planted!

Indeed I have high hopes for the new wood elves.

Wildeybeast
10-14-2013, 01:52 PM
What stood out to me was the idea that the personality traits of all three flavours are shaped by Chaos. The arrogant superiority of the High Elves and the isolationist attitude of the Wood Elves both stem from the touch of Chaos, but whilst they seem to be unaware of this, the Dark Elves embrace their inescapable link to Chaos and give full reign to their dark sides.

Mr Mystery
10-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Very true. They've certainly made the Elven species a lot more interesting. I once again tip my hat to Mr Ward, and the haters can either actually read the stuff absent pre-judgement, or suck my tartan clinkers!