PDA

View Full Version : Paintstripper Advice needed

Brakkart
10-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Just got myself a Land Raider hull for cheap which is complete, (missing only the sponsons and front turret which are easy to get) but also half painted and rather poorly at that. I am UK based, so need some advice on what is a good, and preferably cheap and easy to find substance for stripping acrylic paint (and some instructions/advice on how to use it). I have a Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsburys, Wickes and Wilkinsons's stores nearby if that helps.

ElectricPaladin
10-15-2013, 11:57 AM
LA's Amazing

Or...

Dawn Power Dissolver (I think it's called Fairy Clean in your world).

If they don't strip it, it can't be stripped.

Lukas The Trickster
10-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Dettol is your best bet - get hold of something like a large tuppaware container (with a lid is better as the smell is quite strong), fill half full and leave the model to soak for a couple of days - you will see the paint lifting off. For a big tank you will need at least a couple of bottles - it has to be the brown, brand Dettol - cheaper own brand disinfectant doesn't work for some reason, I think its because its less concentrated. Scrub the paint off with a toothbrush, using clean Dettol to clean the brush with (using water makes it go all greasy and horrid). After you're happy that all the paints removed, give it a good clean in hot, soapy water. Alternatively you can try Fairy Power Spray (Probably what EP is referring to), but it is more expensive, and I found that when stripping FW stuff it softens the resin if left for long periods. Hope this helps. :)

Brakkart
10-15-2013, 04:48 PM
Cheers Lukas that is great advice. Much appreciated!

ACE01
10-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Another vote for fairy power spray, has made my 2ed plastics and metals new again. I've found its worth the extra cost as it doesn't need to soak as long, and a few sprays really starts the process quickly.