PDA

View Full Version : 1000 Points - Scout Company

Squirrel_Fish
11-24-2009, 02:21 AM
Just my take on Space marines without using any power armor beyond the requisite HQ choice.

175 - Captain w/ Bike, Relic Blade and Combi-Melta

95 - Scout x5: 2 Shotguns, 2 CCWs, Sergeant w/ Meltabombs and Power Weapon
95 - Scout x5: 2 Shotguns, 2 CCWs, Sergeant w/ Meltabombs and Power Weapon
85 - Scout x5: 4 Sniper Rifles and Heavy Bolter
150 - Scout x10: 9 Bolters, 1 Missile Launcher
150 - Scout x10: 9 Bolters, 1 Missile Launcher

65 - Land Speeder Storm w/ Multi-Melta
65 - Land Speeder Storm w/ Multi-Melta
120 - Scout Biker x3: 2 Astartes Grenade Launchers, Sergeant w/ Powerfist

Total: 1000

Captain Rides with the Scout Bikers and turbo boost turn 1 to hit armor on side or rear or to come around for a pincer attack.

The Scouts with Shotguns and CCW's ride in the Storms. They'll take the Scout move to turbo boost and will try a turn 1 gambit to try and down any heavy armor that can't be taken out by the Bikers and Captain. If there isn't a piece of armor that I'm worried about, then they go out and play the bully and double assault stuff. I like the mix of Shotguns and CCW's as I feel it maximizes damage in both shooting and assault.

If feasible (IE, not annihilation), the 10 Man Scout squads will deploy as Combat Squads in order to maximize the amount of targets they can hit. Something that I'm putting under serious consideration is whether or not I want to change the heavy bolter in the sniper squad to a Missile Launcher in order to give the unit a little more flexibility in target selection.

Squirrel_Fish

PS. I know I have almost no ability to deal with AV14 outside of the Scout Suicide Squads. I personally don't expect to see a lot of it where I'm from and at the points value this list is designed for, I can try and wipe out the rest of the army through blistering amounts of bolter fire and a charge by the Captain and Scout Bikers.

Brosef Stalin
11-24-2009, 04:02 PM
This seems like a pretty good list!

I would recommend a Dreadnought if only to draw some fire away from your relatively weak troops. If your opponent has the initiative, they could do a pretty monstrous amount of damage depending on troop placement and all of that, and with that many scouts, it's likely they could attack something with every unit they have fielded.

mercer
11-26-2009, 06:59 AM
For some reason I've always found a all scout army interesting, any hoo..

Captain needs a bit more support than 3 scouts on bikes. I would make them bigger and have two biker units.

I think power fists are better than a power weapon and melta bomb combo. A power fist can smack walkers, armour, tough infantry and monstrous creatures. P/W and melta bombs cannot do all of that, and not so good. Against armour you only get one shot and against walkers you need a 6+ to plant grenades. Against monstrous creatures you're going to have problems. Though, if sending scouts into combat I would make sure they're a full unit and not 5.

Hellfire rounds I think can be pretty good. A blast with ap5 wounds on a 2+ is good stuff.

Squirrel_Fish
11-26-2009, 03:14 PM
For some reason I've always found a all scout army interesting, any hoo..

Captain needs a bit more support than 3 scouts on bikes. I would make them bigger and have two biker units.

I think power fists are better than a power weapon and melta bomb combo. A power fist can smack walkers, armour, tough infantry and monstrous creatures. P/W and melta bombs cannot do all of that, and not so good. Against armour you only get one shot and against walkers you need a 6+ to plant grenades. Against monstrous creatures you're going to have problems. Though, if sending scouts into combat I would make sure they're a full unit and not 5.

Hellfire rounds I think can be pretty good. A blast with ap5 wounds on a 2+ is good stuff.

I agree that more Bikes would be nice, but is just not feasible at this points level. Unfortunately two bike squads would mean that I have to drop a Land Speeder Storm (which is just too cool a vehiclel to not have more than one).

The PW/Meltabomb combo is more of an issue of taste and cost - I entirely respect the Power Fist and realize that they are much more effective, but with the smaller silhouette of the Scouts they look awful silly (even more silly than they normally look!). While I could drop scouts from the 10 man squads, I would prefer to keep them at 10 in order to be able to utilize Combat Squads in situations that call for it.

The goal of the CC Scouts is to have them gang up on targets. The two 5 man squads hitting home for a total of 14 S4 shots followed by 28 attacks on the charge (8 of which ignore armor saves). I want to be hitting multiple infantry squads or one tougher squad and hope that I crack them and get a -4 ) penalty to their Morale Test due to the LSS's Cerberus Launchers.

Basically, while I would change things around, I can't really afford it due to the low army level.

mercer
11-27-2009, 07:47 AM
I do agree you need two land speeders, but those bikes aren't going to last thats why I'd give another small supporting unit.

I think cost is more of a issue, but a power fist is only 5 points more over a power weapon and melta bombs. Benefits of a fist clearly out weigh a power weap and melta combo. Though, I agree, on scouts they would like crazy ****z nitz.