PDA

View Full Version : 500pts Guard

pgarfunkle
11-24-2009, 11:57 AM
In my local GW there is going to be a league running for a few months starting at 500pts and going up by 500pts each month until the end of Feb. Everything needs to be painted and based to be used and so I've decided to use this as an extra motivator to get my Guard painted.

I've come up with 2 lists so far

The 1st is light on bodies meaning it'll be easier for me to get painted before the league kicks off. However it is light on heavy weapons and I'm hoping that the low points will result in fewer vehicles to deal with.

Command Squad - Vox-Caster, Medic, Mortar 50

Guardsman Marbo 65

Veteran Squad - Mortar, Vox-Caster 80

Leman Russ - Hull mounted Lascannon, Heavy Bolters Sponsons 185

The second list is slightly heavier on bodies with the Infantry Platoon having the squads combined to use first rank second rank and claim objectives. The veteran squad will be my vehicle and big target killer.

Command Squad - Vox-caster, medic 85

Guardsman Marbo 65

Veteran Squad - 2 x Plasma Guns, 1 x Missile Launcher, Vox-Caster 120

Infantry Platoon
Command Squad 30
Infantry Squad - Vox- Caster 55
Infantry Squad - Commissar 85
Heavy Weapons Squad - Mortars 60

Unfortunately the lists are limited by the models I currently have as with Christmas around the corner I dont want to start shelling out cash. I'm leaning towards the 1st list at the moment as I'm hoping the abundance of mortars will make a nuisance of themselves along with the Russ being a hard target.

Comments, suggestions and criticism welcome and appreciated.

Lord Azaghul
11-24-2009, 12:15 PM
The first list is the strongest because of the tank.

However I would recommend NOT taking marbro at that point level.
Since you're vets have no special weapsons I would consider dropping 1 and marbro for a basic platoon.

pgarfunkle
11-25-2009, 03:55 AM
I popped Marbo in cos I thought he might be a nasty surprise appearing on the board with a demo charge somewhere, and he's also only one model to paint lol. That's a good suggestion though, so providing I can get the extra models painted in time the force will look like this.

Command Squad - Vox-Caster, Medic, Flamer 90

Infantry Platoon
Command Squad 30
Infantry Squad - Vox-Caster, Mortar 60
Infantry Squad - Mortar 55

Leman Russ - Hull mounted Lascannon, Heavy Bolters Sponsons 185

I've changed the Mortar in the Command Squad for a Flamer due to a lack of built models

Lord Azaghul
11-25-2009, 09:25 AM
I like lots of guys, so the new list would be my preference. When you get more stuff assembled start looking at flamers, plasma, and meltas for your vets. Mortars are really fun for me as well, in large games I like to take them in HW squads and bombard any enemy troops in the open.

You'll also want to look at hw autocannons down the road (i'd recommend avoiding heavy bolters altogether in the guard army; Even on vehicles, Heavy flamers are the better choice. )

My reason for recommending against marbro: I only took him once, it was against CSM, he killed 3 or 4 marines the whole game...my opponent was pretty well mechinized when he showed up so I had no good targets, his democharge killed 2 marines - then he majorly wiffed in CC (like 5 2'S to hit!) killed 2 marines in CC but then took a power fist to the face and died.