PDA

View Full Version : My Very First WFB List - Wood Elves

jberrysf
10-21-2013, 04:42 PM
So I am just starting WFB for the first time and I decided to play Wood Elves. I like their models, I like their fluid, fast play style and I like being an elf, but still being an underdog. For a bit of context, I play 40k Dark Eldar with a dash of Jetbike Eldar Allies, so I am good at playing glass hammer armies and this is just the next iteration of that.

Anyway, on to the list. I just bought a handful of models and am playing my first Fantasy game within the next week against my buddy (Electric Paladin) and his Lizardmen. I prefer making well rounded lists instead of tailored ones, so the only feedback that I really want in terms of "Here's your best bet against Lizardmen" is which lore to take and how to prioritize my targets.

Lords
Spellweaver - lv 4 upgrade, Power Stone, Obsidian Lodestone, Longbow,Briansheath, Enchanted Shield, Luckstone - 340

Core
Glade Guard (10) - Musician - 142

Glade Guard (10) - Musician - 126

Scouts (5) - 85

Dryads (8) - 96

Special
Wardancers (5) - 90

Wardancers (5) - 90

Treekin (3) - 195

Rare
Treeman - 285

Great Eagle - 50

Any comments and critiques are welcome, as are any tactical thoughts on how to run this type of army. I have another 10 Glade Guard, 5 scouts/5 Waywatchers, as well as 8 Glade Guard, if you think I can use them to better effect than any of the units on this list. I can also turn my Great Eagle into a mount for a Noble instead, but I would need point space from other stuff...

Thanks for reading and good hunting!

ElectricPaladin
10-22-2013, 11:35 AM
I don't really know a lot of about Wood Elves, and I'm pretty new to WFB, but this thread deserves to be bumped!

Honestly, it looks good to me. You've got some solid core units, some tactically flexible outflankers, and some hammers. What you don't seem to have is much of an anvil - a durable unit that wants to take a charge and thereby pin down - but I'm not sure the Wood Elves have one of those...

jberrysf
10-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Thank EPal! I'm looking through Wood Elves lists and I'm seeing people play Eternal Guard that way--even though they are terribly overpriced for what they do--as well as using Treekin and Treemen to supplement. To be honest, I don't know if I'm gonna run my army with a Hammer and Anvil type organization. I'm gonna probably have to use my mobility to make sure I dont really end up in many close combats, outside of ones that I choose and ones where I own the flanks and rear, unless I roll the transformation Beast Lore Spell and come a rampagin' down the field with a Dragon...

I don't know what to expect, but in any case, it should be exciting.

Chronowraith
10-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Wardancers are far less efficient than waywatchers. In previous editions wardancers could maul their opponent and get by static combat resolution... in 8th edition... they can't. This makes them great at hunting down units of other skirmishers or dealing with small units of medium cavalry even, but ultimately they will get squashed by monsters, run over by monstrous infantry/monstrous cavalry, and stomped into the dirt by infantry blocks.

So waywatchers all the way. Admittedly this creates a problem for your rare block as you are already bumping up against the cap for 1500 points you have 335 and the cap is 375).

Another item to consider is that for blood and glory missions... you'd lose almost from the get-go as you have no banners. So as soon as they kill off your general... it's game over. Now if you don't play Blood and Glory... you're fine.

Magic items on the Spellweaver are off. You have two talismans (obsidian lodestone and luckstone). I'd drop both. Power stone is uneccesary at 1500 points as most lists won't have level 4 casters so spellcasting you'll already be ahead of the curve. Spellweavers can't take enchanted shields as they have no option for normal armor in their list (see magical interference on pg172 of the BRB). Honestly, for gear, at 1500 points keep it pretty bare bones. I'd maybe a scroll and the longbow and leave it at that.

What's up with the point costs on your Glade GUard... you have two units with identical builds and they have different point costs. I'm assuming the 142 was full command and the 126 is musician only? Just a guess.

Overall.. don't be discouraged with Wood Elves... they are a rough army to play with in 8th but they look wonderful on teh tabletop and are rumored to be getting a book in Q2 of next year.

Lastly, for expansions I'd be looking at the following: more Glade Guard, more Treekin, a nice block of eternal guard, another great eagle, and maybe some wild riders. For characters, add a scroll caddy and a BSB.

FYI - I don't check the forums everyday so if anyone needs list help, regardless of army, simply send me a PM. I've been playing since 2nd edition, have 4 armies of my own (and about 3 more half-armies) and play on a regular basis against a wide variety of army builds and types... and I like to punish myself by playing in a couple big national tournaments a year (although that looks to be going away with the birth of my daughter earlier this year).

jberrysf
10-23-2013, 12:35 AM
I can see how Wardancers would be super fragile against real blocks. I used them to great effect taking out a block of skink skirmishers quickly and also flanking a squad of cold one riders that got tied up with the Treekin. Huge job on the counter punch. I can't wait to play at a points level where I can field waywatchers. What size unit do you put them in? 5 feels small in terms of doing much damage in shooting, but 10 is a huge points sink.

With the Glade Guard, one was supposed to say "Banner of Eternal Flame" instead of musician. Whoops.

What's a scroll caddy?

ElectricPaladin
10-23-2013, 12:42 AM
What's a scroll caddy?

I know that one. It's a weak spellcaster who basically exists to carry around bound spells/dispel scrolls, etc.

jberrysf
10-27-2013, 04:15 PM
So EP and I are playing again thursday and I've updated my list. Thoughts on adding a BSB and removing the scouts?

Lords
Spellweaver (Deployed with Winter Glade Guard) - lv 4, Wand of Wych Elm, Resplendence of Luminescence, Longbow - 330

Heroes
BSB Noble (Deployed with Summer Glade Guard) - Hail of the Doom Arrow, Asyendil's Bane, Battle Standard Bearer, Light Armor, Dragonhelm - 132

Core
Winter Glade Guard (15) - Musician - 126
Summer Glade Guard (10) - Musician - 126
Dryads (8) - 96

Special
Wardancers (5) - 90
Treekin (3) - 195

Rare
Great Eagle - 50
Treeman - 285

ElectricPaladin
10-27-2013, 11:18 PM
Personally, I have been under the impression that BSBs are really only useful in larger games, where you can afford a ridiculously tricked-out front-line fighter hero and want to make sure you reap the Ld benefits of having such a person. In games the size of the ones we're playing, I am told, BSBs are mostly not worth the points. Frankly, our armies aren't going to get that far away from our general, because our armies aren't going to be spread out that far.

Other than that... interesting. I still don't know your army book well enough to comment on most of your choices, but hopefully someone who does will be along soon.

jberrysf
10-28-2013, 08:42 AM
So I edited the first list a tad and made an alternate list, because I want to talk about options. I'm interested to hear if you think this is a better idea... It's a ton more shooting with only marginally less combat redirection, but much more powerful War machine/Lord Hunting, Eagle Shenanigans unit.

Lords
Spellweaver (Deployed with Winter Glade Guard) - lv 4, Wand of Wych Elm, Resplendence of Luminescence, Longbow - 330

Heroes
Eagle Noble - Great Eagle, Great Weapon, Light Armor, Enchanted Shield, Stone of the Crystal Mere, Luckstone - 171

Core
Winter Glade Guard (10) - Musician - 126
Summer Glade Guard (20) - Musician - 246
Spring Glade Guard (10) - Musician - 126

Dryads (10) - 120
Dryads (8) - 96

Rare
Treeman - 285