PDA

View Full Version : Exotitans Kickstarter

Jakain
10-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Hi everyone I am trying to kickstarter a board game called EXOTITANS, formerly known as 'Escape from New Orc City', thanks for your time and take care:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1822630877/exotitans

http://i.imgur.com/OpI1NjD.jpg

We’re an upstart company looking to make a positive impact and future for ourselves. Please leave any questions or comments and we’ll reply back to you!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1822630877/exotitans]http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1822630877/exotitans

GrauGeist
10-28-2013, 12:07 AM
Wow, did you seriously base everything on GW slottabases painted GW Goblin Green?

TheBitzBarn
10-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Those are the WORST models EVER!

Bigred
10-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Are we now seeing "ironic kickstarters"?

Are they in on the joke?

Is it the wargaming equivalent of the shake weights?

I, I, I have no words...

faeslayer
10-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Seriously, guys, do you feel big? If you don't have anything nice to say... sheesh.

If it sells it sells, and good on 'em for gettin' out there and going for it.

TheBitzBarn
10-31-2013, 07:32 PM
Seriously, guys, do you feel big? If you don't have anything nice to say... sheesh.

Are you part of the company that is pushing this

White Tiger88
10-31-2013, 09:31 PM
Are we now seeing "ironic kickstarters"?

Are they in on the joke?

Is it the wargaming equivalent of the shake weights?

I, I, I have no words...

I am going to go cry in the corner for the people that buy these.....THINGS

ElectricPaladin
11-01-2013, 12:22 AM

On the one hand, I can't really condone crapping all over someone's work. It's a form of bullying, and it's basically wrong.

On the other hand... when someone offers you a steaming pile of **** and expects you to want to pay good money for it, it's kind of insulting. There's no accounting for taste, it's true, but there's such a thing as doing the basic work to show that you give a **** and provide a product of some quality.

phoenix01
11-01-2013, 06:44 AM
Help, I've gone blind! The last thing I saw was - green.

Col.Gravis
11-01-2013, 07:17 AM
The models are not good its true, but the responses of some of you are frankly shameful, especially BitzBarn & Bigred both of whom should know better. Constructive critism wins every time over sheer negativity however it is disguised (or not).

GrauGeist
11-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Seriously, guys, do you feel big?

I am big and mighty. I feel awesome.

This kickstarter is a pathetic joke. It's the kind of crap that gives Kickstarter a bad name.

There is zero chance of it delivering it if it should fund at $5k.

I'm shocked that KS approved it.

GrauGeist
11-01-2013, 10:08 AM
On the one hand, I can't really condone crapping all over someone's work. It's a form of bullying, and it's basically wrong.

This *is* crap, and it deserves the comments it gets. If you suck, and you put yourself out there, guess what, people will comment. Going public is an invitation for comment and ridicule.

OTOH, if this were good (in any way), and people were tearing it down unfairly, that'd be a different. But there is basically nothing to defend here. The sculpts and painting are horrendous. It's pure crap by an amateur who doesn't know what he's doing. Harsh criticism is not bullying.

GrauGeist
11-01-2013, 10:12 AM
The models are not good its true, but the responses of some of you are frankly shameful, especially BitzBarn & Bigred both of whom should know better. Constructive critism wins every time over sheer negativity however it is disguised (or not).

Yeah, because BitzBarn totally wasn't doing Comic Book Guy there... :eyeroll:

In this specific case, what sort of constructive criticism might one offer?

"I see you have some interest in cashing in on Kickstarter, but it is obvious that you lack any artistic ability, business acumen or common sense whatsoever; if you really want this to work, you really need to learn something about art, sculpting, business and marketing. ... And I mean that in the most positive way possible."

It's crap, just laugh and point.

faeslayer
11-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Well, I'll just share this.

http://chronobound.com/?page_id=31

I hope that puts some things in perspective. Let's be constructive.

phoenix01
11-02-2013, 07:20 AM
Constructive criticism. Hmm, that's difficult. Here we go.

Your sculpts are better than what my five year old son can accomplish.
Your use of color in painting those models would make Fulgrim proud.
Making large scale Lego versions of your starships will be very easy.
Your character Jester (see their website http://chronobound.com/?page_id=17 about halfway down) really looks nothing at all like the Joker from DC Comics. Did I mention that I have some oceanfront property in Arizona?
That orc liberty statue (same website) sounds so Ghostbustery

faeslayer
11-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Did you even click that link?

Col.Gravis
11-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Right constructive, first up the production values of the card components and art work looks reasonably good.

Can't comment on the game play.

The issue therefore is with the miniatures, any arguments there?

The first issue is the presentation of the miniatures, while improving on the quality of the paint jobs would help, they're certainly not the worst I've ever seen. Indeed the paint jobs on the vehicles look fine, the infantry type units could do with some work though. The bases are the main issue here though, nobody really uses goblin green style bases these days, least of all with no texture. Given this is a board game as opposed to a try wargame, perhaps simple black bases would work better? Or otherwise take a look on the net for some good basing tips. Its not hard to improve bases, and it does make a huge difference.

Next issue is the inspiration behind alot of the miniatures, it is quite blatant in some cases as has been highlighted. Now alot of companies do get away with that, not such a big issue, but you do have a real mish mash of them here, it makes it more obvious and is a detractor visually IMHO. It may be worth taking a fresh look at these, taking the ideas perhaps and running with them? Perhaps having more a theme running through the factions then lots of randomly sourced ideas, or using more generic looking characters, for example replacing the Superman clone with a generic Superhero?

Now the sculpting itself, this is without doubt the biggest issue. The vehicles are okay-ish - the issue I'd have with them is that your obviously trying to get straight hard edges, corners, parallel edges, but not always succeeding, I actually really like some of them, but you could definitely improve on with some more work.

The infantry and monsters are not so good. The proportions on a good many of them are off, with thick arms, big hands and the like, that ought to be the first thing you work on with your sculpting, a good anatomy book would be a worthwhile investment. You could also consider using an armature to work from to help improve the poses and to get more consistency in terms of scale, you can make your own easily or purchase ready made ones, check the license terms on these though. You also need to work on musculature, especially with the likes of your Godzilla type monster. It can be hard to 'bin' something which you've put alot of work into, and even may like yourself, but being able to recognise when you can, and indeed need to, do better is vital.

Don't be put off though, to be honest I'd be very surprised if everyone who is chucking around critism could do better, though obviously they're not trying to put out a product either. Sculpting is always something you have to work on, and challenging yourself is good - but you do need to keep working on it, perhaps focusing on vehicles would be a good first move as your doing far better with these? Trying to perfect one thing at a time can help. You can also turn to the community for help and encouragement - I'd recommend somewhere like the Mini Sculpture forums (http://www.minisculpture.co.uk/) as being the most friendly and suitable for that as its dedicated to sculpting rather then a generic forum like BoLS.

I don't think you ought to be carrying on with the Kickstarter now in all honesty, if you wanted to push through, perhaps do your sums again and relaunch using card stock counters? Or better yet give yourself some time to redo your miniatures, dont rush it at the end of the day because you'll always be judged on the quality of your actual releases and inferior products will haunt you in the future.

phoenix01
11-04-2013, 05:54 AM
Did you even click that link?

Yes, I did. Let me submit into evidence the following picture from your website.

Now let us compare the late Heath Ledger as the Joker, an intellectual property owned by Time Warner's DC Comics division.

faeslayer
11-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Yes, I did. Let me submit into evidence the following picture from your website.

It isn't my website.

I actually posted it to try and delicately clue people in on how young the creators are before they go all nerd-hate on this product. Though, to be fair, I don't know how young the people posting in this thread are.

I have a good idea how young Larry Vela isn't, though, and his bullyish handling of this does bug me.