PDA

View Full Version : dodge rule conundrum

SON OF ROMULOUS
10-28-2013, 02:08 PM
okay this came up yesterday in our session if you have an attack that hits and causes multiple hits if you make a successful dodge does that negate the other hits? or would that negate only the first hit? what had happened was a player fired his heavy bolter at a group of enemies. he rolled very well for multiple hits. if the target makes a successful dodge then are all attacks lost of just the one?

Morgrim
10-28-2013, 05:02 PM
It only negates the first hit, that is what makes multiple attacks so devastating. I think they clarify that somewhere in an FAQ or one of the later books but I can't remember where offhand. There are certain Talents some classes can take that give them multiple uses of Dodge in a single combat round, and those classes can obvious negate multiple attacks, but you only get one dodge attack per attack. So if you have 3 dodge attempts and you fail the first roll that attack hits but you can try dodging the second and third attacks received that round. Does that help?

SON OF ROMULOUS
10-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Do you happen to remember which book? i checked the eratta its 6 pagres and has nothing on dodge :/

Morgrim
10-29-2013, 05:06 PM
Digging a bit deeper it seems it varies based on what weapon is doing the hitting. For example if a gun with the Storm quality is firing the number of bullets you dodge depends on how many degrees of success in your Dodge roll (2 shots dodged per degree of success)* but if it is a Duel Shot firing one Dodge roll can avoid both**. So check the wording on the specific weapon inflicting the damage. If it isn't listed and it is a firearm of some sort I think using the same rules as Storm weapons is reasonable.

One thing that is made clear is that you get one Dodge per attack. So if there are multiple attacks you need to have Talents that allow you multiple Dodge rolls to avoid them all, and if you have multiple available rolls you can't use them all against the single attack made with a Storm Bolter.

*Rogue Trader errata
**Dark Heresy errata

SON OF ROMULOUS
11-01-2013, 02:26 PM
ya the weapon we were using is a heavy bolter and my dice were good i got the max of 6 hits

ihockert
11-07-2013, 10:04 PM
The number of shots dodged from a single attack varies with the success of the dodge test. Against full auto fire a successful dodge test dodges one bullet base and one additional bullet per degree of success. So if you hit with 6 bullets and he dodged with 5 degrees of success, he would evade all the shots (1 for success + 5 for each degree of success).

SON OF ROMULOUS
11-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the replies and ya we are stuck doing it that way now the only thing we cant figure out is why in both death watch and in rogue trader you get a 20% boost when firing full auto but you dont in the only war books....

Morgrim
11-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Possibly down to weapon quality. The Inquisition and Space Marines get given exceptional weapons. Rogue Traders can afford to buy them. Guard get cheaper mass produced standardised equipment.

SON OF ROMULOUS
11-12-2013, 06:31 PM
It's just very weird i we talked about how they differ in how they give out exp but we honestly figured it would not make sense for weapon stats to change from book to book. while i agree the quality would be far superior but i'm not sure that it would be that superior that you have one having no bonus altogether for it?