PDA

View Full Version : New To Skaven 2500

Shadydestroyer
10-31-2013, 04:21 AM
I'm new to Skaven and I really like how they are so far but I have yet to play a game and I have a tournament creeping closer and I bought load of stuff off stone friends so here's a trial list to try and get a feel for most stuff. I appreciate all tips and list tweaks.
Also I plan to run the warlord with the storm vermin and grey seer and engineer each in their respective clan rat block. Where would be best for my BSB? What's best number for my rat ranks?

Warlord [138]
+ Enchanted Shield
+ Crown of Command
+ additional hand weapon

Grey Seer [285]
+ Dispel Scroll
+ Power Stone

Warlock Engineer [53]
+ Doomrocket
+ Warplock Pistol

Chieftain [74]
+ shield
+ Battle Standard
+ additional hand weapon

49 Stormvermin [[i]407[i]]
+ Musician
+ Standard Bearer
+ shields

• Weapon Team
+ Poisoned Wind Mortar [65]

50 Skavenslaves [[i]100[i]]

50 Skavenslaves [100]

39 Clanrats [187.5]
+ Musician
+ Standard Bearer
+ shields
• Weapon Team
+ Ratling Gun [55]

39 Clanrats [[i]187.5[i]]
+ Musician
+ Standard Bearer
+ shields
• Weapon Team
+ Poisoned Wind Mortar [65]

19 Giant Rats [189]
+ 3× Packmaster
+ Skweel Gnawtooth

6 Rat Ogres [264]
+ 3× Packmaster

Warp Lightning Cannon
= 90
Doomwheel
= 150
Warp Lightning Cannon
= 90

2,500 points

Chronowraith
10-31-2013, 04:47 AM
You really need musicians on those slave units. The giant rat unit is next to useless and witht eh added cost of Skweel... very expensive. Your BSB is also very squishy and needs a little protection and your warlord could use some more as well.

Break up the Giant Rats into 2 basic units of 5 with one packmaster each (23 points each). If you want Skweel, throw him into the Rat Ogres... they need his protection more.

I'd drop the ratling gun for a warpfire thrower. Sure it will only get 1 or 2 shots but it will cause a LOT more damage... plus it is useful against monstrous cavalry and infantry since it does D3 wounds.

As for ranks... you could horde your stormvermin (10 wide) if you want, but you don't have to. Slaves should always be minimum frontage of 5 models and then maximum ranks (so for you, 10 ranks), clanrats should either be like slaves or have "combat ranks" with a 7 model frontage to maximize attacks against other non-horded units.

BSB should go in whatever unit your general is not in... it's usually bad to keep them together as if that unit goes, Skaven lose both inspiring presence and the hold the line rules.

Shadydestroyer
10-31-2013, 07:13 AM
Revised the list. Any ideas for last couple points there?

Warlord: Crown of Command; Warpstone Armour; additional hand weapon. 158
Grey Seer: Dispel Scroll; Power Stone. 285

Warlock Engineer: Doomrocket; Warplock Pistol. 53
Chieftain: Enchanted Shield; additional hand weapon; shield; Battle Standard. 84

49 Stormvermin: Musician; Standard Bearer; shields. 407
• Weapon Team: Poisoned Wind Mortar. 65
50 Skavenslaves: Musician. 102
50 Skavenslaves: Musician. 102
39 Clanrats: Musician; Standard Bearer; shields. 187.5
• Weapon Team: Ratling Gun. 55
38 Clanrats: Musician; Standard Bearer; shields. 183
• Weapon Team: Warpfire Thrower. 70
5 Giant Rats: Packmaster. 23
5 Giant Rats: Packmaster. 23

6 Rat Ogres: 2× Packmaster; Skweel Gnawtooth. 364

Warp Lightning Cannon 90
Doomwheel 150
Warp Lightning Cannon 90

2,491.5 points

ElectricPaladin
10-31-2013, 07:20 AM
I wish I knew Skaven well enough to be helpful, but I have never been interested in playing as them, and I have never played against them, despite the ancient rivalry between your people and mine (Lizardmen). It looks like a nasty list you've got there.

My only advice is generic: in my mind it's usually best to start with small lists when you are learning a faction. This is even more true if you're learning a game, but I'm not sure where you fall in that regard. Starting with big lists can be daunting, and simultaneously too easy, because you have points for all the toys. Starting smaller - say, 1500 points or less - teaches you more about the army book's core models and forces you to make harder, but more educational, choices.

Shadydestroyer
10-31-2013, 07:36 AM
I play Empire as well and have been checking things out and reading the book for past week. And right after I'm off work I'm gunna try this cause I'm in tournament starting next week which should be fun. Also as you say all that I think it's going to be interesting seeing as I'm jumping to 2500 for my first game with these guys which should be more daunting since I haven't played a 2500 yet and don't worry this is a well thought out list, just getting tips and advice on em and preparing for a test battle to se how they work. The reason I'm even able to start big is cause I got couple friends that are selling them on the heap and I really like what their about and their history.

Thortek
11-01-2013, 04:14 PM
I am not a fan of the giant rats, just my opinion I would run gutter runners instead.

Shadydestroyer
11-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Queek Headtaker 215

Warlock Engineer: Doomrocket; Level 1 Wizard; Skaven Spells of Ruin; Warplock Pistol. 103
Chieftain: Enchanted Shield; additional hand weapon; Battle Standard. 82
Warlock Engineer: Warp-energy Condenser; Level 2 Wizard; Skaven Spells of Ruin; Warplock Pistol. 128
Warlock Engineer: Skavenbrew; Warplock Pistol. 73

50 Skavenslaves 100
50 Skavenslaves 100
38 Queek Headtaker's Stormvermin: Standard Bearer (Banner of Eternal Flame). 438
• Weapon Team: Ratling Gun. 55

18 Rat Ogres: 9× Packmaster. 792

Warp Lightning Cannon 90
Warp Lightning Cannon 90
Hell Pit Abomination 235

2,501 points