PDA

View Full Version : Which Weapon?

ElectricPaladin
11-03-2013, 03:22 PM
I've always been confused about how this works. If a unit has multiple weapons - say infantry with shields, hand weapons, and spears - how do you figure out which weapon they use in each round of combat? Do they get to optimize? Does the player just pick?

Thanks in advance for helping to clear this up.

Chronowraith
11-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Per page 89 of the BRB models will always fight with their "special weapon" where a special weapon is defined as anything other than a hand weapon.

In short, a model who is equipped with something other than a hand weapon will ALWAYS use that to fight.

In past editions you could choose which you would use but 8th changed that. It's one of the few rules changes I find rather frustrating and wish they'd rescind or alter for future editions.

klunc
11-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Per page 89 of the BRB models will always fight with their "special weapon" where a special weapon is defined as anything other than a hand weapon.

In short, a model who is equipped with something other than a hand weapon will ALWAYS use that to fight.

In past editions you could choose which you would use but 8th changed that. It's one of the few rules changes I find rather frustrating and wish they'd rescind or alter for future editions.

I disagree, I think it reduces the 'accounting' required. I know it can stop you taking advantage of parry saves etc, but how often did people forget to declare which weapon they were using? I know myself personally it was most of the time.

Wildeybeast
11-04-2013, 10:43 AM
It's worth pointing out that you get to choose if you have two 'special' weapons, though I'm not sure that applies to any rank and file troops, only characters (if you have armed them as such). If they have a magic weapon, they use that first over any special weapons. Basically, you never use a hand weapon if you are armed with anything you could use in combat (including pistols). The only exception I'm aware of is lances, which are only used when you charge, otherwise you must use your hand weapon.