PDA

View Full Version : Game Kit for Local Store

Blitzhellion
11-03-2013, 10:02 PM
So i just started getting into this game and me and my friends really like it, so I've taken it upon myself to create a box for our store as the community play box. Basically, if someone wants to learn the game or just has nothing to do, they have access to this and can play it, no charge what so ever, just that if they like the game, they should invest into it through the store. So far i bought 2 starters to start it off so that there is more than enough dice and cut outs, but now I'm stuck with the dilemma of what to add. As it stands 2 x wings and 4 tie fighters isn't all that exciting. what would you guys recommend i add to add to each side to create something that players can use and enjoy as a learning experience/ regular gaming experience. I'm trying to aim for diversity, with some consistency, yet balanced enough that when people want to play, the winner wont always be the rebels or imperials.
My thoughts so are are to add 1 A wing, 1 Y wing, and 1 B wing for rebels, and 2 Tie advanced, 1 tie bomber for imperials. money is a bit of an issue, but im hoping that the interest i develop will give me some more people to play with, and maybe the store owner giving me a discount on purchases in the future(ha, fat chance).
I'd also appreciate any comments on issue/ concerns on this idea. I'm not known to be the most forward thinking person.

Nabterayl
11-04-2013, 01:17 PM
I think this is a great idea. So far I haven't collected a single side myself for exactly this reason. I pull out my Battlehive (http://crystalcaste.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CC&Product_Code=10333&Category_Code=BH), I have a two-player game ready to go.

I would suggest altering your core mix, though. I think there is sense to having a single A-wing, a single Y-wing, and a single B-wing, so people can get a feel for those fighters. However, I would suggest changing your Imperial line-up to one TIE advanced, one TIE bomber, and one TIE interceptor. I would suggest one TIE advanced and two interceptors except for the fact that I haven't actually played with a bomber yet, so I may be giving it short shrift.

A few corollary thoughts:

I have found that TIE fighters of all stripes are really exciting to play with, because they tend to benefit more than Rebel fighters from high pilot skill. The Boost and Barrel Roll actions are not very exciting at the start of the activation order, but players start squealing with delight when they realize just how slippery then can make your fighter if you get to use them towards the end of the activation order. It is a really good feeling, and for those of us who remember being able to shoot down entire wings of Rebel craft in TIE Fighter, it also brings back the nostalgic feeling of being invincible because you are a dogfighting god - you don't need shields if they can't hit you. The TIE interceptor is currently the pinnacle of this experience, so I wouldn't leave it out of your starter box.

If you have the budget for it, I also strongly recommend getting ships in pairs. One of the little Star Wars-y details they really got right about this game is that it captures the Pacific Air War feel of dogfighting in the late Civil War era. Because of the Barrel Roll action, TIEs generally dogfight better than their Rebel counterparts - a TIE interceptor is better in a furball than an A-wing, a TIE fighter is better than an X-wing. What the Rebel spaceframes have going for them is durability, and to make that count for anything, you need to be thinking about how you coordinate ships. Coordination is easiest when you have multiple spaceframes of similar handling characteristics - two X-wings are easier to work in concert, I think, than one X-wing and one A-wing. I think that you will find with your current "two starter sets and then one of everything" approach that the X-wings and TIE fighters will tend to take center stage, and the other ships will tend to feel like adjuncts. Useful and fun adjuncts, but if a player wants to build a list around a given ship, you're going to need more than one. You probably don't have the budget for this right now, and that's totally fine, but I would keep it in mind. I would also focus on doubling up your interceptors and space superiority fighters before bombers, since the bombers don't necessarily want to dogfight.

I think this is a really great idea, and I hope these thoughts were helpful.

EDIT: A thought on picking up the X-wing and TIE fighter blisters. You get different pilots and upgrade cards in those packs, so they're certainly worth picking up at least one each of. But given your goals and budget, it might not make sense to do so before you expand the roster of offerings. What you really want to ask yourself, I think, is what your players are going to be excited by. If they're really into upgrade cards and different ace pilots, I'd bump those up the priority list. Maybe not before getting any other ships, but probably to a higher priority than doubling up. If they're into the tactics of different spaceframes (the different handling characteristics, etc.) or want a game with the look and feel of the late Civil War era, then I'd move those blisters down your priority list.