PDA

View Full Version : Wargames system advise needed!

Aknon
11-06-2013, 07:36 AM
Hi everyone. I have recently been put in charge of all wargaming at my university, which has had awful coverage and sign-ups for the last few years. Coming up is an event called nerdkon, which is 36 hours of assorted games and nerd hobbies. For the first time the wargamers have a decent amount of allotted space (it's always been one table, for about 8 hours maximum before the card gamers push us off)

I want to make sure we have stuff on table for the whole time (other than the mandatory apocalypse game). I'm an avid warhammer and x-wing player, and have communities for both here, but am looking for other systems to run intro games for to show it's not just warhammer that we run to try and drum up some new interest. We've also got a drop zone commander starter set as well as space hulk and hopefully a necromunda game. There is interest from the die-hard wargamers here in skirmish games, but without much direction as to which one, and everyone seems pretty open minded about trying new systems. I'm looking for easy to learn intro sets as I have about 2 weeks to get the rules down enough to run intro sessions with them, as well as doing my uni work around the edge. Also it would be good to try some systems that are a bit different to the standard wargaming centre, as x-wing has gone down well here because it is so different to everything else. Any advise would be fantastic!

TL: DR - What system starter sets would the blogosphere advise for a variety of intro games at a mini convention? I've got about 2weeks so what is good value and a great system starter sets to get wargaming some attention?

energongoodie
11-06-2013, 09:47 AM
First of all, best of luck with it :)

I'd nominate Blood Bowl cause I love it :) Easy to learn, fun to master. Or Dreadball, also great, if you want a GW departure.

I'm really liking the Bolt Action rules. I've only had one cheeky game so far but I enjoyed it and am now trying to get some models together for a proper army.