PDA

View Full Version : Guardian Heavy Weapon Options

Just_Me
11-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Lets us say that someone got themselves some guardians a while back, thinking only of creating a small Eldar force to paint, and not of actual combat effectiveness :p. Supposing that these are the only troops available to this person, what is the best heavy weapon to give them? My thought is Scatter Laser because it remains fairly cheap, has decent strength, and a LOT of shots. Thoughts? Opinions? Personal experience?

DarkLink
11-29-2009, 01:29 AM
Whatever gets the most shots. BS 3 bright lances are useless.

Scatter lasers are the Str 6 assault 4 ones, right? Or something like that? If so, that's what I'd go with. I don't play against eldar enough to remember which guns are which...

Katie Drake
11-29-2009, 01:32 AM
Scatter laser or starcannon is your best bet. Both fire multiple shots at a good Strength. The main difference is that one is meant to shred hordes and the other is designed for anti heavy infantry duty.

Just_Me
11-29-2009, 02:55 AM
Scatter lasers are the Str 6 assault 4 ones, right? Or something like that? If so, that's what I'd go with. I don't play against eldar enough to remember which guns are which...

Yes; 36", Str 6, AP 6, Heavy 4 (Assault 4 on a Guardian Weapons Platform). Basically better Multi-lasers.

Scatter laser or starcannon is your best bet. Both fire multiple shots at a good Strength. The main difference is that one is meant to shred hordes and the other is designed for anti heavy infantry duty.

That was my thought, and I have ample experience with Guard Autocannon to know that 2 shots just doesn't cut it at BS3. I actually have Brightlances right now, but they are less than useless and I decided to replace them. So I guess I will go ahead with the Scatter Lasers.

Katie Drake
11-29-2009, 04:55 AM
That was my thought, and I have ample experience with Guard Autocannon to know that 2 shots just doesn't cut it at BS3.

Erm, you know that starcannons only have two shots, right? :confused: :p

fuzzbuket
11-29-2009, 06:37 AM
best use guardians holding home objective so Scatterlaser is good for killing things that threaten you
i still think Dires (for firepower), Stormies(foor meatsheild+melta), and wraithguard(tankkiller hammer) are the best eldar troops

Just_Me
11-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Erm, you know that starcannons only have two shots, right? :confused: :p

Exactly what I'm saying. That's why I would choose Scatter Lasers over Star Cannon :p.

Bard of Twilight
11-29-2009, 01:07 PM
However if you want a fast moving,& quite assault unit, Shuriken Cannons are just great!:)

eagleboy7259
11-29-2009, 02:52 PM
I thought Shuriken Cannons were only range 24"?

The AKH
11-29-2009, 09:09 PM
That's correct. They can come in handy if you plan on moving around a lot and the AP5 can be an asset. They're also cheap.

As a general choice, though, the scatter laser is best - unless you plan on using Guide on the Guardian units a lot.

pchappel
11-29-2009, 11:55 PM
:) I've been running the Scatter Lasers almost all the time now, just getting the 4 shots out at the BS3, and since I see a LOT of cover saves, the AP of the weapon is less a concern. Missile launcher is the other main option I use, but more for the "maybe it will work this time" factor... When the plasma missiles work, they are good, but...

OnFyre
12-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Starcannon or missile launcher.
Missile launcher means you might not miss, starcannon means if you hit it will die.

pchappel
12-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Maybe, I see a lot of 4+ and better cover saves, but perhaps that is just our local group... I used the Star Cannon a lot at first, but the Scatter Laser for me at least puts out the 4 shots at the same strength, so better chance of a failed save... The missile is for either the "I need the Str 8" for AT work or the Plasma Missile hitting "somewhere"...

karandras
12-02-2009, 03:40 PM
The best guardians and best troops choice in the army (and arguably in the game!) are guardians riding jetbikes!!! But the seldom seen guardian defender squad is terribly under utilized. Scatter Laser is my weapon of choice! The shuriken cannon is almost as good, but the range reduction can present a problem if you are planning on holding an objective in your own deployment zone. Bright lance is a lot of points for a weapon that generally will not hit. Starcannon is simply a waste in a guardian squad and I personally feel the same for missle launchers.