PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts Jump Pack Heavy Marines

Chiwie
08-02-2009, 03:57 AM
Gday guys.

i recently got back into 40k, and i quickly found out that my static gun line Dark Angels where not going to to be able to keep up :(

Anyway i got my grubby paws on the new marine codex and decided to make this list.

Company Commander
relic blade
storm shield
Digital Weapons
jump pack
melta bombs
Tactical
5 men
storm bolter
razorback
hunter killer

Tactical
5 men
storm bolter
razorback
hunter killer

Tactical
5 men
storm bolter
razorback
twin linked las cannon
hunter killer

Scouts Scouts
shotguns
camo cloaks
power weapon

Scouts Scouts
shotguns
camo cloaks
power weapon

Assault Squad
5 men
5 additional men
storm shield
powerfist

Vanguard Vets
5 men
jump packs
metla bombs
4x power weapon

Vanguard Vets
5 men
jump packs
5 storm shields
3 power fists
1 power weapon
metla bombs

Vindicator
hunter killer

Vindicator
hunter killer

TOTAL 1965

As you can see I love the assault marine vanguard, razorback and vindicator minis (and there rules aren’t too bad ether :P ) so I tried to pack as many into the list as possible. The list also has some background but I wont bore you all with it :D

Any C&C will be much appreciated.

mkerr
08-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Hi Chiwie! I have a Dark Angels army that's collecting dust too, lol.

When you are building a new army, you really have a bunch of questions that you want to answer. You want to be clear on what you trying to accomplish with the list (basically what itch are you trying to scratch). And you want to know what kind of games you intend to play.

I'm going to give you tips to make this a more competitive army (that's really the only reason to get feedback -- unless you want to know which models are a pain to put together, lol).

1. If you are going to use Vanguard Veterans then you really need Locator Beacons in your army. These (especially combined with Drop Pods) make VV much more effective.

2. I'd probably lose the Meltabombs (you are probably better off with your S6 attacks).

3. Storm Bolters aren't actually very useful. Every tactical squad should have a Meltagun.

4. If you decide to include a Hunter Killer Missiles (I wouldn't), then make sure you attach it with a magnet. That lets you use it in some games and not in others.

5. I'd go with full-size Tactical Marine squads (even if you plan on using Razorbacks). The free extra weapons are worth the points.

6. Don't combine Shotguns and Camo Cloaks. The cloaks are useful for long-range snipers, but not for close combat scouts.

7. I'd also put the Power Weapons (or better Power Fists) on the Tactical Marines who have a better Weapons Skill and better armor.

8. Consider a flamer in your Assault Squad.

9. Instead of spending 25pts on Meltabombs for your Vanguard Vets, I'd spend 25-30 on a Power Fist or a Thunderhammer.

10. I think that Storm Shields make Vanguard Vets too pricey (that ends up around 60pts for a VV with a Power Weapon). I recommend a single Lightning Claw (a decent deal for 15pts) and Power Fist. Although I have seen a very effective unit with 2 Power Fists and 2 Storm Shields (with the goal of making sure the Power Fists were alive at Initiative 1). But VV don't work without a decent amount of support.

Can't wait to see the final list!

-- Mkerr

TheKingElessar
08-02-2009, 09:43 AM
My first recommendation, is remove the individual item points costs from the list. You don't want BoLS Lounge sued do you?

Chiwie
08-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Awesome advice -- Mkerr

thanks for advice, what do you think about this:

Company Commander 100
relic blade
storm shield
Digital Weapons
jump pack

Tactical
5 men
Combi melta
razorback
hunter killer

Tactical
5 men
Combi melta
razorback
hunter killer

Tactical
5 men
Combi melta
razorback
twin linked las cannon

Scouts Scouts
power weapon
Shotguns

Scouts Scouts
power weapon
Shotguns

Assault Squad
5 men
5 additional men
power weapon
metla bombs

Vanguard Vets
5 men
jump packs
metla bombs
4x power weapon

Vanguard Vets
5 men
jump packs
5 storm shields
3 power fists
1 power weapon

sternguard
combimetlas x5
power weapon
melta bombs
drop pod
locator beacon

Vindicator

TOTAL 2000

My first recommendation, is remove the individual item points costs from the list. You don't want BoLS Lounge sued do you?

:eek: sorry, completely forgot, thanks for the save

mkerr
08-02-2009, 09:17 PM
I think you've made some improvements, but you could still improve the army a lot. I think the next step is to proxy the list and see how it works on the table. If you are happy with the performance, then it's the right army for you. If it under-perfoms, come back to the forums and we'll work on it some more.

Best of luck!

Chumbalaya
08-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Vanguard Vets are terrible. You're paying a ton of points for a bunch of T4 single wound guys who come up in reserves, scatter (unless you paid even more for locater beacons, homers won't cut it), hopefully kill one unit, then die. For those points, just about anything is better.

HK missiles are bad too, 1 shot at S8 isn't scaring anybody.

As for the rest of your list, your unit sizes are too small, not enough vehicles, virtually no anti-tank (beyond 1 unit of 5 men and single shot meltas), and no real threat in combat (need powerfists, and even then Assault Marines don't stack up to dedicated assaulters).

If you want a jump pack list, go for Blood Angels. Assault Marines as Troops, superior Vets, Death Company, and of course Dante.

Chiwie
08-02-2009, 10:04 PM
I think you've made some improvements, but you could still improve the army a lot. I think the next step is to proxy the list and see how it works on the table. If you are happy with the performance, then it's the right army for you. If it under-perfoms, come back to the forums and we'll work on it some more.

Best of luck!

will do! thanks again for the advice.

If you want a jump pack list, go for Blood Angels. Assault Marines as Troops, superior Vets, Death Company, and of course Dante.

Ill give that ago as well, i was curious to see if i could get the list to fit.

if anyone is intrested here are some pics of the army.

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=430

Magos
08-03-2009, 12:00 AM
Huh, someone else suggested it before me, but yeah, run blood angels. You could run a list entirely without tactical marines if you really wanted to.

And Chaplain lemartes

And regular Chaplains

and the Baal Predator