PDA

View Full Version : Blood Angels

Forteller
11-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Lo'

Resident lunatic hamster here,

Since i decided to go red and never look back i was kinda wondering,considering that i am a new player.
What constitutes a "rank and file" regular blood angels army? Ofcourse i ll have to buy one of each: Dante,Corbulo,Mephiston etc. I am just wondering because at this point my army mostly consists of vehicles and one tactical squad. Normally one would wait for the codex to be released before buying a pure BA army but i guess thats too far away so i ll start now. I guess in place of Veteran Elites i can buy Vanguard etc.
Was thinking that a Battleforce is a good place to start considering it has some rhinos,tacticals and assault squad but then i considered that with the same cash i could probably buy like 3-4 assault squads which would be more "blood-angely"

Anyhow please discuss some starting units which i can take to start really calling my army BA and what are the usual suspects when it comes to 1250-1500 points BA army list :) Appreciate your help in advance.

P.S.:So far i own 2 vindicators,one land raider,one dreadnought,one ironclad,one tactical,5 terminators and 5 scouts

lobster-overlord
11-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Your list is pretty much vanilla marines. The key to BA is Assault Marines as Troops. Using Fast Attack as the key unit. Rhinos with Over Charged Engines to dump tactical marines in the face of the enemy is another key.

John M>

Forteller
11-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Hmmm so then a Battleforce seems like the best buy,two questions if i may..

A) Would buying a Razorback,then putting a magnet on the main gun,and removing it when needed, would allow me to use it as a Rhino when turet-less? Does that somehow seem cheesy?

B)In generally,but more specifically 1250 points,how many assault squads would you field? And do you consider a squad at 5 or 10 units?

As always appreciate the feedback....

Brother Tibirius
11-30-2009, 02:43 PM
magnetising your army is not cheezy just practicle, my entire company is magnetised i'm not done yet still
have some Rhino's to buy but i just finished my last squad during the weekend it's a good thing a lot clearer for tournament being wysiwyg, personaly i love it , I even done my jump packs on my assault suad to be removed to put in transport, try to go for assault squads and tacs in rhino's for maximum speed supported by a dev squad and vet assault squad or honor guard and of course death co and chaplain... well my 2 canadian cents anyway....

have fun

P.S as for how many i usualy put them to support other units in close combat or to take objectives quickly but i try to at least have one 10 men and another 5 men so i have mobility on my side.

DarkLink
11-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Hmmm so then a Battleforce seems like the best buy,two questions if i may..

A) Would buying a Razorback,then putting a magnet on the main gun,and removing it when needed, would allow me to use it as a Rhino when turet-less? Does that somehow seem cheesy?

B)In generally,but more specifically 1250 points,how many assault squads would you field? And do you consider a squad at 5 or 10 units?

As always appreciate the feedback....

If someone complains about you being cheesy for magnetizing your models, then you probably don't want to play them. Imagine what they'd say if you took *gasp* Death Company backed up by Dante and Lemartes, or whatever one of those potent combos is.

If someone is going to be rude enough to obsess over how cheesy they think you are, they're probably not going to be too fun to play against. Unless they're just joking around.

fuzzbuket
11-30-2009, 02:58 PM
** sadly the legion of the blood angels is affected by 2 ancient curses, the first is the well known black rage, the second is whilst tycho fought the orks his rhinos were affected by the ancient littany

"THE RED ONES GO FASTA!"

DC and a pod are the way to go and for dc you'll need
termies
assault marines
hounur guard
repaint the ironclad as a DC furiso (i use 2 in drop pods)

this is how i run it

rhino+ =][= (teleport homer)

drive towards enemy

dump a command squad, termies, DC, GK, 2 assault squads, and 2 Death company ven dreds use drop pods to form a "wall of iron" to hide behind then:
jump out from "wall of iron"
yell nobody expected the spanish inquisiton"
assault remember To charrge the =][= first

pgarfunkle
11-30-2009, 03:42 PM
I tend to play tactical squads and assault squads using the assault squads to quickly take objectives and hassle enemy shooty with the tacs trudging alone behind them. With the razorback/rhino thing I don't even bother with the magnets just build the two roofs and swap as necessary. If you leave the back ramp open you can even store whichever roof not in use inside, another thing to remember is that the rhino has a hull mounted stormbolter while the razorback does not so make two cupolas and swap them too.
Good luck with the sons of sanguinius they were my first army and are still my favourite may they serve you well!

Earthen
11-30-2009, 10:45 PM
If you want to seriously get good with blood angels, read this guys blog.

http://warhammer40kbloodangels.blogspot.com/

He just won a pretty major tournament with blood angels, a codex right now that is largely underpowered and outdated.

Probably the best blood angels player in the country. Hes got a really unique way of playing but if you dig through the last couple months of articles you should pick it up.

Dakka Preds, MM attack bikes, and Venerable DeathCo furiosos are the way to go. If you really like jumpers, throw in a unit of Vet Assault marines with 2 melta guns, but dont go much more than that.

All this grey knight stuff with corbulo, death company with super expensive jump packs, command squads are just a waste of points, and some of the tactics are pretty hard to pull off / need the stars to allign to work right.

Keep it simple. I know from your earlier posts you like assault cannons on razors... well... baal preds are actually a GOOD buy, as opposed to razors, hahaha.

so. Dakka preds. 3 of them. Corbulo, 3 Venerable Death company dreads in pods... up to 7 str 10 attacks on the charge at I5. theyre tough to kill, and weapon destroyed is really only 1 attack lost - DC dreads have so many attacks 1 less is hardly going to matter. Awesome units.

youll have alot of fun with them. Looks like a fun army to play.

Duke
11-30-2009, 11:48 PM
I would like to say personally: Welcome to the Blood Angels!

Things to note... If you want an effective list combine these things
1. Dante
2. Corbulo
3. Veteran assault squads in Rhinos
4. Tactical squad (combat squad) in razorbacks with M. Melta and M. Gun
5. MM attack bikes

I have found through tough experience that Furioso dreads may sound cool, but often do nothing. BAAL preds are another story.

My list generally looks like this
Dante
Corbulo
2x assault squads in Rhinos
3x tac squads in Razorbacks with MM and Mgun
4 MM attack bikes (two squads of two)
Misc Death Company
The I add for flavor.

Sadly, unlike C:SM we are a little bit on the "one build" side of things (until we get our new dex!) Pretty much every competitve Blood Angels list starts with Dante and Corbulo for the "Venn Diagram of Death!"

O

Duke
11-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Also, on the RAzorback/ Rhino question.

Never, ever ever buy a Rhino model. Always buy the Razorback. I simply don't put the control panel on the inside of the razorback/rhino. Then I don't glue the weapon mount on the vehicle (the circle thing) When the weapon is destroyed I simply flip it over and put the HVY bolters in the hole so that they are sitting inside the razorback. I also do this if I want to run my razorbacks as rhinos for a night... NObody ever complains, in-fact they all wish they had thought of it cause it save lots of mulah.

DarkLink
11-30-2009, 11:56 PM
All this grey knight stuff with corbulo...

Grey knights work great as a hard-hitting elite unit, if you know how to use them (and have a spare transport). It's knowing how to use them that's tough. They don't need any extra special characters to shine when used properly, though such buffs are very nice:cool:.

And that's all despite the fact that they're way overpriced compared to Chaos Cult troops.

In fact, I would probably play SM's with allied GK's and Sisters, if I could figure out for the life of me how to play tactical squads. They just don't fit my playstyle. They're too limited and static for me to effectively use. Thus, I'm stuck with a Daemonhunters core codex:(.

Forteller
12-01-2009, 12:59 AM
[QUOTE=Earthen;38439]
All this grey knight stuff with corbulo.../QUOTE]

Grey knights work great as a hard-hitting elite unit, if you know how to use them (and have a spare transport). It's knowing how to use them that's tough. They don't need any extra special characters to shine when used properly, though such buffs are very nice:cool:.

And that's all despite the fact that they're way overpriced compared to Chaos Cult troops.

In fact, I would probably play SM's with allied GK's and Sisters, if I could figure out for the life of me how to play tactical squads. They just don't fit my playstyle. They're too limited and static for me to effectively use. Thus, I'm stuck with a Daemonhunters core codex:(.

Amen to the tactical thingie,thing is,dont tell it to anyone,they ll crucify you then eat you up for breakfast.....

Earthen
12-01-2009, 01:28 AM
well i think at least GKTs with corbulo are a totally different story... Str 7 power weaps @ I5? haha, um YES PLEASE

Tactical squads can be tough to use, i agree. I found that the best way to teach new players how to use them is just to throw them into **** and see what kind of damage they can actually do. Youd be surprised, sometimes they do decent damage. In vanilla lists, I usually keep tacs together in pairs and use them both to rapid fire the same target... generally helps to ensure they dont bite any kind of stupid charge.

They should always have rhinos though, and can easily play as MultiMelta bunkers. Drive up 12 turn 1, smoke, then start shooting stuff up!

Drive-by flamer attacks are awesome fun too.

Craz
12-02-2009, 02:35 AM
well i think at least GKTs with corbulo are a totally different story... Str 7 power weaps @ I5? haha, um YES PLEASE

Tactical squads can be tough to use, i agree. I found that the best way to teach new players how to use them is just to throw them into **** and see what kind of damage they can actually do. Youd be surprised, sometimes they do decent damage. In vanilla lists, I usually keep tacs together in pairs and use them both to rapid fire the same target... generally helps to ensure they dont bite any kind of stupid charge.

They should always have rhinos though, and can easily play as MultiMelta bunkers. Drive up 12 turn 1, smoke, then start shooting stuff up!

Drive-by flamer attacks are awesome fun too.

Sorry, man, but Grey Knights do not get the bonus from Corbulo's Red Grail. If you look at his rules it says, "all Blood Angels units within 12."

As for tactical squads, I use two ten-man squads with power fist, melta gun, and Missile Launchers in Rhinos. Excellent for just about any role.