PDA

View Full Version : 1750 Ragnar's Claw

Tyrsday
12-01-2009, 02:47 PM
I want to try out an all drop pod SW force and here's my idea for it so far.

Ragnar - 240

Njal w/ Term. Armor - 270

Dread. w/ hvy. flamer, multi-melta, xtra armor, talisman, necklace, and DropPod - 180

Wolf Guard x 5 w/ 3 powerfist, 3 storm bolters, 2 term. armor, assault cannon, and 3 chainfist - 264

Wolf Scout X 7 w/ melta bombs, melta gun, and plasma pistol - 165

Grey Hunter X 8 w/ meltagun, wolf standard, and DP - 170

Grey Hunter X 8 w/ meltagun and DP - 160

Grey Hunter X 7 w/ meltagun and DP - 145

Blood Claw X 8 w/ DP - 155

Alternatively I would drop the Storm Bolters from the Wolf Guard, pick up another Wolf Scout, and give the Dread 2 T-L Autocannons (losing the x armor, necklace and hvy. flamer), drop him in the middle of the board to pick off fast vehicles and transports.

Thoughts, comments, concerns, and addendum are greatly appreciated.

Unholy_Martyr
12-01-2009, 03:36 PM
This list has potential, but right up front...I'm pretty lost as to how this is going to play out.

Basically, with the way you've written it out, your Wolfguard just stand out as lost. You have written out that you are taking 5 with 2 being in Terminator Armor; additionally, you will be taking 3 with Storm Bolters, 3 with Power fists and 3 with Chain fists...making for a total of 6 Wolf Guard or are you arming one of them with 2 Power Fists or 2 Chain Fists. Either way, you should re-evaluate what you want to do with these folks. You could save some points and increase the efficiency of your Grey Hunters by just keeping the Wolfguard simple [i.e. Power Armor, Power Fist, Combi-Melta = 43 pts Pop tanks, keep up in Hth as Terminators don't allow you to chase down your foes].

Now comes for an even bigger question, which unit is getting who? As in, would Ragnar be going with the Grey Hunters or Blood Claws? Is Njal going to chill with some Grey Hunters? Once there is more clarification here, I think I could do more help than harm.

Now for your troops...The Blood Claws have got to go. While they do bring a great assault potential to your force, they're going to get shot up the moment they arrive and will only be effective if they survive the fusillade of fire they are going to receive...and that is a big IF. You would be much better off tossing in some more Grey Hunters here as they could dish out more firepower and can be just as effective in assault (The WS3 offsets their Berserk Charge so on paper they look awesome but on the board its a sad state of affairs.)

With your Dread...I would lose the talisman and the necklace and use the spare points to tool up some other units.

The scouts could be an effective pressure point as some players counter drop pods by positioning themselves close to the board edge (Your pod going off of the board edge is the only way to make you unsucessful in deep striking). They could cause some havoc and I must say they're a favorite of mine.

To be honest, there's no way of really doing much with the list until it is known as to who is going where, what pods are coming in first and so on and so forth. Once you highlight those ideas, then we can better help you with your list.

Denzark
12-01-2009, 04:49 PM
I think nearly 30% on IC is too much. But if you're going to spend that much lose one of the big boys, bring in 2 x wolf priests for preferred enemy - infantyr (particularly the bloodclaws.) Few extra points for other stuff then.

Tyrsday
12-01-2009, 05:17 PM
My bad, I sometimes forget to transfer things from my head to the page.

The Wolf Guard run like this:
Storm Bolter and Power Fist X3
Assault Cannon and Chainfist
Chainfist X2
All of them are attached to a squad hence the low GH numbers.

So the list would look like this on the table:

Ragnar w/ Grey Hunter X 8 w/ meltagun, wolf standard, and WG (SB/PF) all in DP

Njal w/ Term. Armor w/ Grey Hunter X 7 w/ meltagun and WG (SB/PF) all in DP

Dread. w/ hvy. flamer, multi-melta, xtra armor, talisman, necklace, and DropPod

Wolf Scout X 7 w/ melta bombs, melta gun, and plasma pistol w/ WG (SB/PF)

Grey Hunter X 8 w/ meltagun and WG (AC/CF) all in DP

Blood Claw X 8 and WG (CFx2) all in DP

Revising it I would exchange the Blood Claws for GH's with meltagun, drop the terminator armor and pick up another GH and give the WG a PF and Combi-Melta. Same with the other Term. as well. I was just trying to justify my purchase of the WG Term. Box.

Unholy_Martyr
12-02-2009, 10:32 AM
I see how you'd want to to have the terminators in this list, and they could have a place, but I don't think that using them as squad leaders would be very effective as they would eat up alot of space, points and flexibility. One example is the Wolf Guard with 2 chainfists...by himself you're looking at 63 points that is just an extra angry tank buster that will HOPEFULLY catch someone.

You can do this one of two ways:
First, drop all of the Terminators for now (don't worry, we'll get back to them very soon) and fill out your Grey Hunter squads in a fashion similar to one of the following:
9x Grey Hunters: 1 Melta, Power Weapon, Mark of the Wulfen
1x Wolf Guard: Combi weapon of choice, Power Fist
Total: ~213 Pts
or
10x Grey Hunters: 2 Melta, Power Fist
Total: 180

At these points, you can effectively put 4-5 squads out there that can pop tanks or have the tactical flexibility to hit heavy armor and infantry.

Now if you do 4 units of the initial setup and one of them drops the Wolf Guard and replaces Ragnar, you get all of those units in Drop Pods for a total of around 1432.

This is where we start discussing terminators and Njal and the Dreadnought.

Say you keep the Dreadnought cheap, just do Heavy Flamer, Multi-Melta you end up at 150pts including the drop pod. You're left at 1582 points wise. At this point you can't fit Njal into your force, but I think you can try a few games without him and just run it Ragnar, Hunters, Dreadnought and Scouts. This will fill out to be 1747pts.

Another way to go about this is, drop a squad of Grey Hunters, Dreadnought and the scouts and go with Njal and a Terminator Retinue. You can choose what you want in said retinue but it would make for one nasty unit that would distract your opponent from your Grey Hunters and would cause chaos the moment they arrived. Granted this leaves you with only 4 pods coming down but that is the sacrifice you're making for the Terminators and Njal.

You could try both set ups and see where that gets you but just keep in mind you are going to be monstrously outnumbered with the second format and you will be hard pressed when it comes to facing fast opponents.

Best of luck.

Tyrsday
12-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks!