PDA

View Full Version : trench warfare terrain

FreeAndEasy
12-01-2013, 04:15 PM
this is a terrain we just build, its not finished yet:

we are thinking of adding a few patches of grass, lightly scorched perhaps, and some more details

any input from experienced terrain builders?

SotonShades
12-03-2013, 04:36 AM
That is looking great mate, deffinitely keep it up. I like the modular tiles you've made.

Some lightly scorched areas and mashed up grass would certainly add some great variation. Perhaps add some thicker mud/water to the bottom of the trenches as well and/or a collapsed section or two. It looks like some of your sections have boarded sided for the trenches and some don't? I'm guessing that is part of being not finished? I'd be tempted to put boarding on the edges of the modules as well so if a trench butts up to a non-trench section it doesn't look odd, and maybe add a couple of modules without any trench works cut in to them (if you have the space to store them all of course). It'd give you even more flexibility for regular games and would mean you could expand your board for bigger games.

As I said, that is an amazing start, and I really look forward to seeing where you go with it :)

FreeAndEasy
12-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Collapsed sections are a great idea!
I feel it just looks too flat and neat for a "battlefield" at the moment, broken sections would definitely help fix that.

The modules work independent of each other, one can take out any module and connect the rest while still having trenches that make some sense, the downside is that they have to be symmetrical. The white parts were not yet painted, but its all boarded up and painted now.
The outer eadges of the board will be also painted (black), or maybe stabilized with a strip of wood and then painted.
I'm also thinking of adding some anti-tank barriers and barbed wire (modular) to the field.
I will keep this thread updated with pictures.

Lefuet
12-04-2013, 08:01 AM
The plate was thought to be used in multiple ways.
The two end sections fit together creating a 48x48" board. As you can see on the following picture the middle part shows the blind ends of the trenches. If only the two end section are used the trenches can connect at this points.

middle section:

end section:

The lines visible on the pictures show, that the can be used in all three deployment variants. Its offering a decent amount of cover while not inviting for a pure turtle game according to the arrangement of the trenches. Its easy to out flank a trench to steal your opponents cover which is only given in a certain angle. It appears logical that a real trench system wouldnt be created this way - its all about the playability. Lots an lots of thinking - just for the concept.

The trenches are boarded with planks (thick cardboard) or corrugated iron (cardboard):

FreeAndEasy
12-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Pictures from a game on the board: