PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on gray

Crazy Jedi
12-02-2013, 06:22 PM
So I want to due a very light gray color on some new Space Marines, but I don't want to add a wash and have it go to a dark gray. I was wondering if starting with white armor and adding a black wash would turn into a nice light gray, w/ plenty of shading.

Does anybody have recent experience with white paint and a black wash? On one test Space Marine a long while ago I had a dark gray, and a black wash turned it almost black which is why I'm wondering about the white armor base.

Thanks in advance for all considerations.

Paulo187
12-02-2013, 07:48 PM
The last time I used a white basecoat and then washed it with the Nuln Oil shade it just ended up looking dirty. Not a nice light gray.

For the best effect I would recommend a basecoat of Mechanicus Standard Grey, a wash of Nuln Oil, a layer of Dawnstone, a lighter layer of Administratum Grey, and then a drybrsh of Longbeard Grey just for the highlights.

thebigdog
12-03-2013, 01:12 AM
You could try thinning nuln oil with water so that its staining effect is less dense but if you saturate the mini by slapping the wash all over it may still look dirty due to the nature of the wash. You could try painting your thinned wash carefully into the area you want shaded which will leave the light base untouched.

How light do you want your grey to be? Ulthuan grey is almost white, a thinned wash only in the recesses and shaded areas and a thin edge highlight of white may be enough for the effect you want, or it may be too light. Do you have an idea of how light you want to go? Do youwant a cold grey tone or a warmer shade?

Crazy Jedi
12-06-2013, 11:52 AM
I'm thinking that I want the armor to be about a dawnstone color bigdog.
As far as how it works out, Paulo187, you might have hit it right on the head.