PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Pts Mech IG

Soam
12-02-2009, 12:10 PM
I've meta-gamed this list a bit with some friends and a forum or two. Wanted to see what you guys think. Anything I should drop/change? I eventually want to go to 2250 Pts. (FLGS standard) Trying to be an all comers list without copying the leaf blower list (Even if it is super awesome). Heres the list:

HQ

Company Command Squad 130
Flamer x3
Meltagun
Chimera ML;HF

Troops

5x Veteran Squad 155
Meltagun x3
Chimera ML;HF

Heavy Support

Leman Russ 150
H Flamer

Leman Russ 150
H Flamer

Leman Russ Demolisher 165
H Flamer

Fast Attack

Vendetta 130

Total: 1500 Pts

Aristocrap
12-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Not sure if you noticed, but your list is illegal because you only have one Troops choice. Fix that up and I'll give some input.

-EDIT-

My bad, I didn't see the "x5" next to the Veterans. I suggest making it a bit more clear that you have 5 units of these.

You're looking heavy on anti-tank, (18 meltas, 3 TL lascannons, Demolisher). I suggest plasma for at least two of the Vet squads to deal with MEQ. Maybe give one squad flamers for anti-horde.

Soam
12-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Was hoping that between the CCS with flamers and every tank having a H flamer that would be enough to take on horde. The plasmas may be a good idea, but expensive. Was hoping that the Demolisher and all the meltas would be good at taking out the 2+ save category.

Aristocrap
12-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Well, I would personally give the CCS meltaguns. Remember, the officer's retinue are BS4 vets, and I like to make use of that. Plus, if they disembark near a vehicle, the officer can make good use of orders in combination with the meltas. All your other vets should never leave their Chimeras if they can help it. You're right, the heavy flamers on your vehicles do help with hordes. However, I would add a bit more. If you used a Valk with rocket pods rather than a Vendetta, you'd have anti-infantry power that's more mobile. (and can launch templates!) You'd still have adequate anti-tank because of your meltas and demolisher. The LMBTs can do reasonably well against whatever it shoots, and they look good as they are.

Chumbalaya
12-02-2009, 02:30 PM
5 Vet squads seems a bit much honestly. 3 and a platoon would be better. Cheap scoring heavy weapons with armor to zoom ahead.

I'd also go for 2 Demos and 2 Vendettas.

To expand, Hellhounds/Devil Dogs and PBS in Chimeras would be very handy.

DoctorEvil
12-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Well, I would personally give the CCS meltaguns. Remember, the officer's retinue are BS4 vets, and I like to make use of that.

That's the first thing I noticed also.

I'd also consider putting a scoring unit in the Vendetta for late game objective claiming.

Bard of Twilight
12-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Consider putting a Master otO; he is petty dangrous and rather cheap!

weeble1000
12-02-2009, 03:23 PM
I agree.

Your list seems a little one-sided. I think you'll find that the heavy flamers on your tanks will help with hordes, but they can't be relied on to put out the kinds of wounds you'll need. This is particularly because you might have trouble putting the heavy flamers to work where you need to.

Your Russes will only be able to shoot a single target, so it might be hard to drop a flamer template on the same unit that you're blasting with the cannon, either because you're close enough to cover a decent number of unite with the flamer or because your target is too far away to hit with the flamer.

Your melta vets will need to be close in order to employ their weapons to maximum efficacy. You need to be close to employ the flamer, but you probably don't want to toast the same target your vets are trying to put down. The transport, if I remember correctly, can indeed select a different target, but it'll take a mixture of fiddly positioning and luck to hit an infantry unit with the flamer while your vets try to pop open a vehicle. You could fry the fleshy contents of any armor that your vets have opened up. Your vets can disembark to do their work, but I agree with Aristocrap about your vets staying inside their transpots.

You could mix it up just a bit and swap some of the Hvy flamers on your Chimeras for hvy bolters and exchange the meltas in a couple of your vet squads for flamers or plasmaguns.

As it stands now, your force looks like it would need to be super aggressive. You've got mostly short range weaponry and mobile infantry. Unlike a typical guard force, you'll need to rush right up to your opponent. You'll have difficulty popping transports from across the board so your transports, and your squishy guardsmen, could end up right next to a bunch of angry pasengers sporting powerclaws/fists chomping at the bit for the Assault phase.

You could let the opponent come to you, but with few ways to reach out and touch him, he'll most likely arrive quickly and full of vigor. Plus, if you allow your opponent to drive right up to you, you've defeated half the purpose of taking out his transports.

I'm with Chumbalaya about giving an Infantry Platoon a spin. You could equip them with Autocannons for some light anti-armor and have them hang back. You might also enjoy the presence of a Platoon Command Squad. The Platoon Commander has different orders than the Company Commander, and all of them are very useful near the front lines.

Soam
12-02-2009, 05:25 PM
@Aristocrap I agree with the BS4 issue, but I feel that I need more flamers to put out the kind of wounds i'll need when fighting horde. And you're right about the heavy anti-tank, but I figured it served dual purpose in taking out MCs and armor. And if I go up against a list like my own, i'll need all the anti-tank I can get.

@Chumbalaya But the platoon isn't that much cheaper. An infantry squad with a melta & chimera is 115, a veteran squad with 3 meltas & chimera is 155. Only 40 points, but a significant increase in threat level. I cant really find a combination of the units that I like. If you can think of one, please post it.

@DoctorEvil I like the idea of a scoring unit in the Vendetta. I could put a vet squad in it and let the chimera they're in run around on the field. Any other thoughts?

@BardofTwilight Been there.. Makes me want to keep the CCS from moving around, which is exactly what I dont want. In a gunline army it would be the best points spent.

@Weeble1000 I agree that positioning will be difficult for the Hvy Flamers, but statistically I can't see a reason to take Hvy Bolters. 3 rounds of shooting i'll get 6 hits. 1 round with a Flamer gets that many hits. Plus i'll be moving more often than not, so i'll be most likely shooting the multi-laser at some light armor. I love autocannons and would like to put some in, but I hate stationary assets. Maybe AC Sentinels? I could take out a Vet. Squad add 2 Sentinels and Marbo for some more AP2 punch (and craziness) and upgrade the flamers in my CCS to melta to take advantage of their BS4.

Great feedback from everyone. I appreciate all the comments. Its just becoming the time to make tough decisions with what to take and what to drop.