PDA

View Full Version : Tank killer landspeeder - can I ?

Anaximander
12-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Every now and then I comb through the SM codex looking for new things to try. I found a combo which I think is legal, what do you guys think?

landspeeder, replace h/bolter with multimelta, then take an extra multimelta ( not twin-linked) - all for 80 points.

As part of an army with Vulkan it should have a chance of reaching the side armour of most tanks and burning a hole, hopefully two!!

Nabterayl
12-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Quite legal, yes.

Duke
12-02-2009, 04:21 PM
yes, it is legal...I would almost rather have 2 MM attack bikes for 20 more pts. Try out that speeder and let us know how it goes.

Duke

DarkLink
12-02-2009, 06:48 PM
It'd be interesting to see one of these guys deepstrike in and blow something up. Two MM's would kill stuff dead.

Nabterayl
12-02-2009, 07:05 PM
If you deep strike in you can only fire one multi-melta (moving at cruising speed). Not that that isn't attractive all on its own.

AbeSapien
12-03-2009, 05:32 AM
Just take one multimelta.

It makes a cheap suicide bomb. Hug cover to get into position, one tank will get its points back. Its too cheap to be a priority.
And if the gun is blown off, 24" ram.

I've had a lot of success with this build.

Shadoq
12-03-2009, 06:48 AM
Have had it used very effectively against me.

My Guard Russ Plasma Executioner was chewing units up left and right and then bam, deep striking Landspeeder with MM was 8 inches away. Got 2D6, penned and blew up my Executioner. Cheap unit took out 245 pts of Guard Armor in one shot.

DarkLink
12-03-2009, 09:03 AM
If you deep strike in you can only fire one multi-melta (moving at cruising speed). Not that that isn't attractive all on its own.

Yeah, I figured a pair deepstriking would be better anyways. More durable.

EmperorEternalXIX
12-03-2009, 10:36 AM
If you want to be a real A-hole you can put a typhoon missile launcher on it, too, I think.

That speeder is also an excellent replacement variant for fighting monstrous creatures; at 23.5" it is basically the same damage output as a lascannon. I know a guy who takes two in this configuration and dances around MCs and blows them to pieces with them.

webron
12-03-2009, 02:00 PM
i have starting using two landspeeders with typhoon launchers and heavy bolters with my wolves. They have done great in most games so far. They are great at hitting the side and rear of armor and with the frag missiles and heavy bolter they can lay down a good deal of anti troop shots. They can move 12 and fire to full effect as the frag missile are strength 4. They are a little pricey, but very versatile.

SeattleDV8
12-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Just take one multimelta.

It makes a cheap suicide bomb. Hug cover to get into position, one tank will get its points back. Its too cheap to be a priority.
And if the gun is blown off, 24" ram.

Land Speeders are not tanks, and as such cannot Ram.

Datadep5
12-10-2009, 05:31 PM
It's a very useful tactic, though be careful where you drop them. On that note, I might add for you to take a typhoon missile launcher with the multimelta, at least giving one of the speeders it. This way, if you are outside 2d6 armour pen, then you have two S8 missiles instead.

RogueGarou
12-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Doesn't not being a tank only mean they do not get the +1 for ramming? Plus they do not get any bonuses from front armor 10. Depending on what you hit and where, it could work but I think it would almost certainly destroy or damage the Land Speeder as it seems it would almost certainly penetrate its armor. But, if you don't have any guns and need to try and eliminate a certain tank, it is worth a shot.

Nabterayl
12-13-2009, 05:51 PM
No, not being a tank means you cannot ram at all, unless you have some special rule that says "you can ram even though you aren't a tank." The +1 for being a tank is in addition to the ability to ram in the first place.