PDA

View Full Version : Eldar Wraithlord questions...

Alrik_40000
12-04-2009, 11:00 AM
I need the help of some veteran Eldar players! I've just recently begun an Eldar army, and I love the Wraithlord model. It's a lot of fun to build and paint, but I'm stuck on how to equip it. The Eldar codex is kind of vague in a few places, so I have a few questions.

1: Does the Wraithlord have the normal close combat weapons? By that , I mean do it's normal fists work like power fists, in the same fashion as the Marine Dreadnought?

2: I know it lets you reroll missed hits, but does the Wraithsword count as a power sword?

3: What do you think is the best loadout for a Marine-kiling assault Wraithlord?

4: What is the optimal loadout for an armor-hunting Wraithlord?

In addition, any general tactics or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys! (And ladies as well, if Melissia or eldargal show up)

Nabterayl
12-04-2009, 11:11 AM
I need the help of some veteran Eldar players! I've just recently begun an Eldar army, and I love the Wraithlord model. It's a lot of fun to build and paint, but I'm stuck on how to equip it. The Eldar codex is kind of vague in a few places, so I have a few questions.

1: Does the Wraithlord have the normal close combat weapons? By that , I mean do it's normal fists work like power fists, in the same fashion as the Marine Dreadnought?
The wraithlord doesn't have any close combat weapons in the sense that you mean. Remember, though, that the wraithlord is a monstrous creature, so its regular attacks (at its regular Strength of 10) ignore armor saves and roll 2d6 for armor penetration by default.

2: I know it lets you reroll missed hits, but does the Wraithsword count as a power sword?
No, but see above for why a wraithlord (with or without wraithsword) ignores armor saves in close combat anyway.

3: What do you think is the best loadout for a Marine-kiling assault Wraithlord?
For my money, a starcannon, an eldar missile launcher, and two flamers, to maximize the number of power armor-busting hits you can get, and because I think shuriken catapults over flamers is silly. I prefer this loadout for marine-hunting to, say, a scatter laser-based build, because this way the "marine hunter" is better equipped to deal with the vehicles that tend to come with marines.

For my money, a bright lance, eldar missile launcher, and two flamers - same logic as above, but an extra S8 shot.

Aristocrap
12-04-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm new at Eldar too, but I've learned a deal from forums and studying how they play. I don't know how well I can answer all your questions, but I'll give them a try.

It doesn't say anything about this, but I think it just uses regular monstrous creature attacks with it's S10.

I don't believe so, as the codex only says it can re-roll failed hits.

Not positive on this one, sorry.

Usually, I've seen people arm it with an Eldar Missile Launcher and a Brightlance.

In addition, any general tactics or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys! (And ladies as well, if Melissia or eldargal show up)
I think it's better to give it flamers rather than shuriken catapults on its arms, as it might get close to enemy troops if they happen to deepstrike near it. Plus, I don't see what targets you'd really want to fire the shuriken catapults at, considering it can take two heavy weapons.

Aw, Nabterayl beat me! :rolleyes:

fuzzbuket
12-04-2009, 11:45 AM
flamers, scatter, lance for a good all-rounder

scatter for marines
flamerss for hordes
lance for tanks

REMEMBER
The wraithlord is best at short range firefights and to back up fragile units, if you want guns use a war walker:cheaper and dosent suffer from twin linked (and a snazzy Apoc datasheet) but their fragile!

Crotch Lictor
12-04-2009, 02:48 PM
If you have the means, magnetize the heavy weapon mounts. The versatility will come in handy.

pchappel
12-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Barring heart conditions (pacemakers), rare earth magnets are fairly cheap, and I've been busy putting them onto my War Walkers and ancient Wraithlords for the swapable weapon mounts...

On the weapon loadouts, flamers for the arms, and I tend to run Bright Lance/Eldar Missile Launcher on the WL's... Star Cannor or even scatter lasers are the "maybe" options, but I tend to have the squadron of Walkers loaded out with the s6 Scatter Lasers walking in from the side :-) With BS4 I'm more comfortable with the one shot weapons like the Lance or EML... :-) Course, just my opinion as always...

toomanyarmies
12-08-2009, 03:52 PM
It sounds like your playing marines with either alot of transports or tanks backing them up in support. To take down marines some banshees attacking a doomed unit is a must. If you like to have shooty armies, dark reapers with the exarch equiped with the tempest launcher and crack shot (allowing re roll to wound and ignoring cover, which the marines will be in). You can also use 3 war walkers backed up by guide, if you have the cover fortune them and stick em in a building, they'll last alot longer, for this you need a farseer though. I have an ulthwe army so always take two. To bust tanks, wraithlords are ok, armed with bright lance and m laucher and a base strenght of 10, this is quite expensive, lascannons will rip your wraithlord apart in no time and your relaying on 1 weapon to take down those land raiders. To take out land raiders I'd go for 6 to 10 fire dragons in a falcon or wave serpent (falcon takes 6). Equipped with tank hunters, melta and Ap 1, tanks aint got a chance. Fire dragons are vulernable to counter attacks though, so you could try a mini seer council of a farseer and 3 warlocks, all equipped with singing spears (strenght 9). For lighter tanks you've got loads of options, the eldar are fast and can get lots of units behind tanks to hit them on their rear armour, warp spiders, vypers, falcons, jetbikes and shinning spears will all do this for you.
Hope this helps.

Evil-Termite
12-11-2009, 06:14 PM

The most important thing when taking a wraithlord(s) is the other units in your army and how they will have synergy with it. I run my wraithlords with missile launcher and wraith swords and the two flamers but it's because of what is in the rest of my army. So.... I'll show you my army and why I equipped my wraithlords the way I did.

Evil-Termite's 1500 point army list. (I've played this list for about 3 months now and I've done very well with it. A lot more wins than losses. However, I'll warn you that my LGS isn't SUPER competitive.)
Doom Seer
2 X 10 dire avengers (exarch, dual cats, bladestorm) mounted in wave serpent w/ missile launchers
6 fire dragons mounted in wave serpent w/ missile launchers
8 banshees (exarch, executioner, acrobatic) mounted in wave serpent w/ missile launchers
3 X wraithlords with 2 flamers, missile launcher, and wraith sword.

I chose the two flamers because it can help a lot with hordes, and if all three of my wraithlords are together then that's 6 flamer templates on the squad. If it's doomed, it's going to go down.

I chose the wraithsword because it is a cheap upgrade that makes the wraithlord a HUGE threat to armor. If 2 wraithlords charge a vehicle that moved 8", I get 6 attacks which gets me a very good chance of getting two hits, they will probably penetrate, which gets me a nice chance of getting immobilized or better. The wraithsword also helps a lot against elite infantry.

I chose the missile launcher because before I had all seven missile launchers in my army, I had trouble cracking transports. I shifted ALL of my big units to use missile launchers and now I can take out light armor with a lot more ease. I can also use the blast templates for armies like orks or tyranids which will be coming at me instead of my wraithlords going to them.

In most of my games, my wraithlords charge into the middle and then move to get into close combat with their targets. Because of their high toughness, my opponent has to choose whether to shoot their high strength shots at my wraithlords, or at my wave serpents. If they are killing my wraithlords, then they AREN'T killing my wave serpents, and if they are killing the wave serpents, then the wraithlords are going to make it to their targets and my opponent will get blown up as well.

Lindargo
12-11-2009, 06:21 PM
I dont know if this has already been said, but here goes:

1: Its a Monstrous Creature so its attacks dont allow armour saves just like a power weapon.
2: Same as above, the sword just gives you the (valuable) re-rolls.
3: Sword and Missile Launcher or Starcannon.
4: Probably twin Brightlance, but i reckon a Wraithsword and 1 BL is enough.

And tactics wise, keeping him next to a Farseer helps (or warlocks, spiritseers ideally) because you dont have to roll for wraithsight. Otherwise, charge him at any vehicles or infantry with str 4 or below and none of them can hurt him (unless the vehicle turns and fires at you).

Hope this helps,
Lindargo,

islyfe
12-17-2009, 02:50 PM
. Even with lance and EML don't expect to be killing many tanks. Don't forget the need psyker baby sitters. They get bogged down in close combat. Fire prisms and falcons are the better heavy support choices, because the pack plenty of firepower and mobility. Wraithlords are no good, Valkyries eat them for lunch. The models are pretty tall so a hard to get get cover saves and with no invul save they just die to anything that goes threw its armor, its just sad.

Duke
12-17-2009, 04:30 PM
I have been playing Eldar for a really long time. So far my favourite build is
- Scatter Laser
- Sword
- Flamers

It gives him a lot of flexiblity.

I don't do the BL because most of my BL are on my serpents. I also run 2 Fire Prisms so that is most of my heavy tank busting. The Wraithlord goes Rhino hunting and he is pretty good at it, especially with the new "run," rules.

Even though the Wraithlord is a great looking model don't forget the power of warwalkers!

Duke

pchappel
12-17-2009, 11:50 PM
I take it you don't play with a lot of big terrain :-) My Wraithlords tend to live for quite a while on the field. Now, I also use Shadowseers and Warlocks to "herd" them if needed. Also, when they do get bogged down in HtH, it's usually with something worth more points than the 150 or so I paid... I've had one evaporate a 40 man IG squad in a single turn... 'Course, I've also seen them get shot to pieces by sniper squads, so...

islyfe
12-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Fire prisms and falcons are better weapon platforms because they can do more then just hide behind terrain and shot a couple shots.

Cyberscape7
12-30-2009, 02:01 PM
The wraithlord basically has 3 roles on the battle field. Fire magnet, tank hunter and infantry killer. When choosing wraithsword ask yourself, will a farseer with guide be 6" to it 4 most of the game. If so then wraithsword is pointless but use it if they travel seperatley.
Bright lance or EML. BL is more anti tank and EML is anti infantry. Choose what wraithlords main job will be and give it gun appropriatley.
Flamers not shuriken pistols. flamers will probably hit and kill more models anyway.
Hope you find this useful