PDA

View Full Version : narrowed it down to 3

RocketRollRebel
12-06-2009, 12:33 AM
ok so I've narrowed down my choice for whfb army to 3 armys. Either O&G, VC or BoC. I'm looking for something that isnt human and has lots of potential for conversion and is kinda cheap. I'm sick of playing the good guy! any suggestions?

thanks!

Kieranator K82
12-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Orcs & Goblins are a really flexible list. You can take an army of 'civilized' orcs, savage orcs, goblins or night goblins; or a combination of the above. Tactically, you don't really have to think too much. It's just a case of WAAAGH! and stompin' some 'eads into the dirt.

I have a friend who runs a Night Goblin army, and unfortunately, they have a nasty ace up their sleeve: The fanatic. This drugged up sucker is released when an enemy unit comes within 8" of the NG mob the fanatic is hidden in. Bam, Strength 5 D6 hits with no armour saves allowed. The only way to destroy fanatics is by moving onto them, shooting at them, or letting them random-move into any sort of terrain - including hills. For 25 points, these ball-and-chain twirlers can dish out enough damage to destroy its points worth.

RocketRollRebel
12-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Fanatics are brutal and fun. I've been on the receiving end of them and lost a unit of Knights of the Realm to them. Thanks for the reply to my retardo drunk post anyway! I really gotta stop with that, its awful and wastes peoples time with stupid topics haha But yeah I think I've settled on beasts. I can annoy the hell out of my friends by always saying everything like a bleating sheep. :p

Bigred
12-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Well, BoC will have the newest rules, while O&G one of the oldest. By fluff, VC are probably the most "evil" of the 3 so that may factor into your decision.

If you can, you should try to borrow some armies to get in a game or two, taking the various rules for a test drive.

I would try to narrow it down to two, then go with whichever range has the models you personally like the most. You will be painting a lot of them.

Lord Azaghul
12-07-2009, 10:07 AM
ok so I've narrowed down my choice for whfb army to 3 armys. Either O&G, VC or BoC. I'm looking for something that isnt human and has lots of potential for conversion and is kinda cheap. I'm sick of playing the good guy! any suggestions?

thanks!

Please don't go VC. Too many band wagon players are taking that army ATM. Besides this army would probably be the most expensive to pick up.

O&G are lots of fun, and probably offer the most variety (they're my only 'bad guy' army)
However they are somewhat 'self handy capping'. This army can be cheap, espeically if you go Orcs, chariots and monsters. I perfer a fast army my self, core fast cav is really nice.

BoC - pretty much woodelves without the shooting. Rumors seem pretty quiet about the new book.

Good guys: Well I can't really blame you on that one, gw seem to really be trashing the good guy armies, while really spending alot of time and overpowering 'the dark side'. Hopefully we will see that change shortly.

RocketRollRebel
12-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah the band wagon factor kinda turns me off to VC. But the conversion potential for Zombies sounds appealing. The idea of making a cheesy looking 50's greaser kinda guy for my Vampire complete with pomade hair and a pack of pall malls rolled up in his sleeve also comes to mind. I would maybe try to base the army around that kinda B Horror film kinda theme. A wrecked Cadillac for a corpse cart maybe... haha The fact that they are a magic heavy army sounds cool to. I can just listen to a bunch of psychobilly/rockabilly and goth electronic music while I'm working on them for inspiration.

O&G the comic relief factor is really all that pops out to me so I may drop that idea.

BoC seems like it could have a lot of fun with huge monsters and beast potential. Also the fact that the army has a lot of skirmishing units appeals to me a lot since I am mainly a 40k player and I've always had a hard time adapting to the movement mechanics of WHFB. And again being able to bleat like I sheep the whole time I'm playing could be a lot of fun. Fortunately I'm pretty broke at the moment so it will take a while before I can really get this up and running fully.

The other guy
01-05-2010, 10:55 AM
It's a bit hard to be sure, but i predict that the cheapest will be BoC.
I expect in the book (listening to a couple of rumours) will be more bigger beasts (eg Minotores) and these bigger beasts will be plastic.
Do a big beast based army. That is how i am doing my Ogre Kingdoms. big things made of plastic = conversion fun and reasonably cheap + quicker build time.

Commander_Culln
01-05-2010, 03:21 PM
It does look like a lot of good plastic's are coming for BoC. Why don't you wait until the new models and army book then make your decision.