PDA

View Full Version : Space Wolves, 2k

Chexmix282
12-06-2009, 03:34 AM
I've ran this list several times and it seems to do quite well on the tabletop, although i feel my Wolf Lord is a tad bit expensive. But that's okay, we play Herohammer, right?

HQ
Wold Lord 245
-Frost Blade, Storm Shield, Saga of the Warrior Born, Wolftooth Necklace, Thunderwolf Mount

Really killy, and provides a great squad solo-er should I wish. Did i mention killy?

Rune Priest 100
-Living Lightning, JotWW
Awesome psychic defense, with some very good shooting.

Troops
10 Grey Hunters 218
- Meltagun, Wolf Guard w/ PFist & Combi-Melta, Rhino

10 Grey Hunters 218
- Meltagun, Wolf Guard w/ PFist & Combi-Melta, Rhino

Spam-riffic! But in all seriousness, these chaps provide me with some anti-that-Tactical-Squad-is-chilling-in-their-Rhino-on-the-objective goodness. Melt the transport, assault the blokes inside, and capture an objective.

6 Grey Hunters 188
-Plasmagun, Wolf Guard w/ Combi-Melta & Combi-Plasma, Tl Lascannon Razorback

6 Grey Hunters 188

Ahh, yes, the backfielders. They used to be just 5 Hunters w/ Meltas, but now i use them for those pesky deepstiking Demon Princes/Greater Demons, Terminators, and Dreadnoughts. I usually keep them about 12" apart so that they can "tag-team" a target with their Plasma and/or Melta. And yes, Wolf Guard can take 2 Combi-Weapons. ***** to model though.

9 Blood Claws 155 (Rune Priest goes here)
-Flamer, Wolf Guard w/ PFist & Combi-Flamer, Rhino

Ugh, i hate Bloodletters. They are the only reason why i felt the need for flamers somewhere in my list. And what better place for a Flamer than on a BS3 Blood Claw!?! Their main role is a counter-assault unit for use in tandem with my Grey Hunter squads, as opposed as a strictly offensive role.

Fast Attack
5 Thunderwolves 340
-PFist, 2 Storm Shields, 1 has Meltabombs

I love cavalry, so i really couldnt resist these guys. Great at messing up the opponent's plan from turn 2, and really great at attracting a disproportionate amount of firepower, this unit spearheads my armored assault and goes for the enemy's killy stuff. The Meltabombs are pretty much there exclusively for wound allocation purposes.

Heavy Support
6 Long Fangs 170
-3 plasma Cannons, 2 Missile Launchers

6 Long Fangs 170
-3 plasma Cannons, 2 Missile Launchers

Mmmmmm, i love the smell of Plasma. Nothing deters people from disembarking their transports in order to play an active role more than 6 Ap2 templates. The missile Launchers help with light armor and tough stuff, but they are usually the first to receive wounds as Plasma Cannons are really good (especially when 3/4 of my opponents play MEQ armies).

KP's: 10
Models: 73
Scoring units: 5

The Wolf Lord rides with the Thunderwolves and splits off when the time is right. My Long Fangs and Razorbacks try to bust open an enemy transport early on to give them a good charge. Rhino-bound Grey Hunters follow up with Melta and assault support while the Razorback-toting Hunters stay back and hold on to close objectives. The blood Claws try to stick to the middle of this mess, allowing the Priest to make full use of his 24" of anit-psker-ness. This also allows the Claws to serve as a reactionary unit should one of my hunter squads find themselves outmatched.

Alrighty then. Comments? Suggestions? Rip this list apart, if you would be so kind.

Chumbalaya
12-06-2009, 09:43 PM
One giant deathstar is not too flexible, splitting them up gives you more options.

BCs suck, plasma is generally overpriced and underperforming, and having some cheap disposable units like Fenrisian Wolves would help your TWC out considerably.

Unholy_Martyr
12-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Well my friend, this is one colorful list, I must say. I like your list for the simple fact that you have a solid fire base and a very violent assault element. I'm just going to offer up a few suggestions that come from experience.

1) Rune Priest is mad shooty; not only that, alot of his powers have some nifty side effects that you may want to consider. Pairing him with Blood Claws makes for a rather unwieldy combination. Personally, I would place him either with the backfielded Grey Hunters or Long Fangs to make the most of his powers. To get the most out of Blood Claws, you need two things: A Land Raider and a Wolf Priest. Disembarking and being within assault range is a pain in the rear if you give your opponent a turn to give your Rhino some breathing room. Also, these guys are just Guardsmen on steroids when it comes to CC, so the re-roll to hit is a must especially when facing anything with a WS of 4.

2) Your Wolf Guard, I have to say I like the John Woo style guys you have going on there, but don't punish the boys so. Yes, 2 combi-weapons is sick; however, when given the opportunity to make the man a capable all rounder, take advantage of it. If these guys are going to chill in the back, waiting for the inevitable, you want them ready for anything. No power weapons in these squads = death.

3) 5 Thunderwolves...man, it just isn't fair...A possible 30 Strength 5 attacks (not including the Lord who would tack on another 6-UNGODLY NUMBER of attacks). I've found running 3 is good enough, and just giving them a little bit of equipment gets the job done. One route to pursue would to spilt your squad into 1 group of 2 Thunderwolves and 1 group of 3 Thunderwolves. Lord joins the first group and you can give one guy a storm shield for kicks and giggles. The other three remain with a Thunder Hammer Storm Shield and 2 plain Wolves, or one with a shield. This gives your opponent two threats to be VERY CONCERNED about and gives you the ability to be more fluid. With concern to Melta Bombs...you'd be better off using a powerfist/thunder hammer doing the job as you would have a S10 weapon with 5-6 attacks as compared to 1 S8 attack that adds 2D6 for pen., not to mention you could just Rend the armor to death just as easily.

4) Stckler for detail moment: I believe you have a math error when reading over the Blood Claws, according to what you have listed and what you want in there, I'm adding up to 198 instead of 155. That puts you at 2035 instead of 1992 that I added with your numbers. I'm sure you can fudge around for points in the list to keep them as is, but that really has to be addressed.

That's my 2 cents, I hope it is helpful and wish you the best with your endeavors!

Chexmix282
12-07-2009, 02:24 AM
Hmmm, i really like the Thunderwolf idea. I will do that. The meltabombs werent there to be used... they were there for wound allocation purposes :P

I really dont consider Plasma to underperform, however. The setup in which i have my "backfielders" is exactly where i want it. With the way that i use them the dont need any PWeapons because they shouldnt be getting in assaults. They are simply used to drop out of their transports and weaken/destroy an objective threatening unit.

Last game that i played i felt like i didnt have enough Melta... therefore i swapped out the Blood Claws for some Melta-toting Grey Hunters. you were right about Blood Claws... they really arent very good without a Wolf Priest. I still think that the Runepriest is fine accompanying this unit, but i'll try some different placements for him in my next few games.

Thanks for bringing the points issue to my attention. I dropped 2 Plasma Cannons ( i really didnt need 6 of them anyway) and added a Mark of the Wulfen to each Hunter squad (i've been meaning to find the points for this anyway).

Here's the changed list:

HQ
Wold Lord 245
-Frost Blade, Storm Shield, Saga of the Warrior Born, Wolftooth Necklace, Thunderwolf Mount

Rune Priest 100
-Living Lightning, JotWW

Troops
10 Grey Hunters 233
- Meltagun, MoW, Wolf Guard w/ PFist & Combi-Melta, Rhino

10 Grey Hunters 233
- Meltagun, MoW, Wolf Guard w/ PFist & Combi-Melta, Rhino

9 Grey Hunters 218 (Rune Priest goes here)
-Meltagun, MoW, Wolf Guard w/ PFist & Combi-Melta, Rhino

6 Grey Hunters 188

6 Grey Hunters 188

Fast Attack
3 Thunderwolves 210
-Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield

2 Thunderwolves 130
-Storm Shield

Heavy Support
5 Long Fangs 140
-4 plasma Cannons

5 Long Fangs 115
-4 Missile Launchers

bryce963
12-07-2009, 02:47 AM
I like this one better.
2 things.
1) why the double combi weapons.?.. also, I'm pretty sure you can't actually have two 2-handed weapons on one model.
2) mixing in some heavy bolters with the plasma cannons seems to be a winner, 3 HBs and 2 PCs. That is a lot of firepower, and doesn't really reduce your templates of death much honestly. I just can imagine the templates getting horrible scatter rolls and ruining your day. Also any half way smart player will have their dudes spaced 2in apart at all times, so you are hitting 1 maybe 2 guys with the template of doom. The bolters are always a potential 9 shots, as opposed to 4 for sure, and maybe 8 if you luck out, or tons more if your really luck out.

I would be doing the two squads of cav, but I like the extra MM mounted on a speeder.

Unholy_Martyr
12-07-2009, 12:57 PM
I like the changes but a few points of concern:

1) Dude, you really need to check your numbers on the squad the Rune Priest is going to ride with, each time the cost is off by a few points. This time around, you're only off by 5 points. I think the Rune Priest could be a wonderful addition to your back field units as well as make for a very good rapid reaction force. Giving him Living Lightening and Tempests Wrath, you have a shooty Priest that creates a 24 inch bubble that denies most deepstriking forces. Sticking with the Rune Priest, I would try and find some points to get this old boy Master of The Runes and a Chooser of the Slain, makes your life that much easier.

2) The Long Fangs need to be more balanced. I would hesitate to put all of the Plasma Cannons and Missle Launchers in on squad, this is inviting a Basilisk or Leman Russ to neuter your Heavy Support, they can split fire so there's no reason to really worry about splitting them into different squads.

3) I am in agreement with bryce in the above statement that you can't have a model with two two-handed weapons. While this is arguable, I believe that you can only have one Combi-weapon per Wolf Guard.

That's all I have to offer this go round.

Chumbalaya
12-07-2009, 03:30 PM
You can have 2 combi-weapons no problems, how many hands it takes up has no bearing. A WG may swap his bolt pistol for a combi and his chainsword for a combi, no problems here.

This latest iteration looks improved. I would give the Fangs MLs and a Rhino bunker to hide in for sure though, leaving them in the open will invite all sorts of problems. Also look into buffing up your other unit of TWC to match the first. If possible, a cheap screen of Fenrisian Wolves would work wonders.

Chexmix282
12-07-2009, 04:24 PM
I checked the math... and i'm fairly certain that my Points are correct.

140 for 8 Grey Hunters with Meltagun & MoW, 43 for a Wolf Guard w/ PFist & Combi, and we all know how much a Rhino is. This equates 218.

Anyway...

I split up the Long Fangs due to their weapon's range differences. I've yet to try out this new list, but i think that being able to deploy my ML squad farther back would be worth it.

I've modeled the 2 Combi-Weapon Wolf Guard to each have a Bolter w/ a Combi-Plasma tip along with a Combi-Melta tip. It looks reasonable, and I've yet to find a rule that goes against 2 Combi-Weapons on a single model. If you could list a page number i would be very thankful; i really cant stand cheating, even if it is accidental!

I was thinking of at least adding a Thunder Hammer to the second TWC squad (In case of Dreadnoughts and the like), although i do feel that a third member would be unnecessary due to the Wolf Lord's presence.

Chumbalaya, how many Fenrisian Wolves do you recommend for a screen? I have access to 8 of them (i dont really feel like buying more lol) and i was wondering if that would do the trick.

DarkLink
12-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Something to point out is that a Wolf Claw is better than a Frost Blade if you don't have a Bolt Pistol to get the +1 A. Cheaper, too.

Chumbalaya
12-07-2009, 06:56 PM
DarkLink speaks truth.

For a screen, enough to block LoS to your TWC is all you need. If they can jump out and beat on something for a turn or two (weakened units, soft stuff, etc) then all the better.

bryce963
12-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Ahh, looks like one/ two handed weapons don't matter any more except for additional close combat weapons, and those are spelled out(fist etc).

Bikeninja
12-08-2009, 12:38 AM
Something that I noticed looking at your list. You have 10 Grey Hunters and a Wolf Guard riding in a Rhino. I believed the Rhino will only hold 10 models. You may have to burn a Hunter to fit the W. Guard in the Rhinos. Just my two cents. Like the list though, should be interesting to play.

Chexmix282
12-08-2009, 02:45 AM
Sorry, by "10 Grey hunters" i mean "9 Grey hunters + Wolf Guard". That's how i've always wrote out my lists so it made sense to me lol.

I think i might just go for the Wolf Claw then. How do you think a pair of Wolf claws and a belt of Russ would fare?

mjayc50
12-14-2009, 04:15 AM
propably no point - i like my TW to have that 3++ save. plus with warrior born he is going to get more attacks anyway. is the wolf claw a better choice? its a bit close to call. is interesting tho - someone convince me

Erik Morkai
12-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Very interesting list. It'd definitely be a neat one to face.

Just thought I'd point out that if you dislike losing your extra bolt pistol/ close combat weapon attack on the Blood Claw with a flamer, consider also giving him Mark of the Wulfen. That way he'll always get at least two attacks, plus bonus for charging etc. Besides, the chance of rolling a 6 on the charge and getting 9 Rending attacks is just too epic to pass up... :)

Chexmix282
01-02-2010, 06:09 AM
I would, but Blood Claws do not have access to MoW sadly.

Well here's the finalized list... and its almost all painted too! With the new 'nid book on the horizon and a sudden outbreak of MC's at my FLGS i changed it up a bit.

Rune Priest
-JotWW, Lightning

2 x Lone Wolf
-Terminator Armor, Chainfist, Storm Shield

2 x 9 Grey Hunters + Wolf Guard
-Melta, MoW, Wolf Guard w/ Fist & C-Melta, Rhino

8 Grey Hunters + Wolf Guard (Rune Priest goes here)
-Melta, MoW, Wolf Guard w/ Fist & C-Melta, Rhino

2 x 5 Grey Hunters + Wolf Guard
-Plasmagun, Wolf Guard w/ Wolf Claw & C-Plasma, TL Plas/Lascannon Razorback

2 x 3 Thunderwolves
-1 has TH/SS

2 x 5 Long Fangs
-4 Missile Launchers each

2000 points on the dot! I nearly tabled a Daemon army and a Tyranid army using this list. I think it will do quite well against SM as well, but i need some games to prove this :P