PDA

View Full Version : Games Workshop: "we can't be bothered to entertain you, even if you've paid already"

TSINI
12-18-2013, 09:34 AM

So GW doesn't want to drive you to their big store anymore, why do I get the feeling Warhammer World's days are numbered...

TSINI
12-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Oops, thanks for moving the post here, I didn't even know you had a corporate bit :)

Wolfshade
12-18-2013, 10:06 AM
I thought the invasion was a great little number, get everyone together as a community and head to the holy land.

Perhaps this is just a victim of the financial cost of the trip, either that or the administration of such trips are becoming a legal nightmare.

I know before I could drive I would have loved these invasion days, now-a-days my mates and I all take a day off and go in the middle of the week during term time :)

Mr Mystery
12-18-2013, 10:34 AM
£20 says someone's hijacked their Facebook page for that.

After all, they're still advertised on the GW Website, and one would expect that not to be the case... (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=&categoryId=3500001&section=&aId=22200015a)

Mr Mystery
12-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Seems it's legit.

Only applies to Invasion trips though.

spaceman91
12-18-2013, 04:34 PM
Wondered why our trip had been cancelled.

daboarder
12-18-2013, 04:45 PM
wolf's probably right in that as the organizer GW is probably liable, and as such needs insurance....and well good luck.

spaceman91
12-18-2013, 04:54 PM
This was the one torni I go to because it wasn't overly competitive. It had a good feel. Won't be the same in the store. Feel a bit sorry for our manager who has to deal with the fall out.

spaceman91
12-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Checked the website and they still have it as active.

Mr Mystery
12-19-2013, 12:51 AM
What fallout?

Trip cancelled.

Refund or credit offered as consumer's decision.

Nobody therefore left out of pocket.

spaceman91
12-19-2013, 02:16 AM
What fallout?

Trip cancelled.

Refund or credit offered as consumer's decision.

Nobody therefore left out of pocket.

People still get pissy even if there is no reason to be.

eldargal
12-19-2013, 02:44 AM
I think you just described the human condition.

Wolfshade
12-19-2013, 03:17 AM
I think you just described the human condition.

But it's my rights!

TSINI
12-19-2013, 04:50 AM
It's still disappointing to those that were going.

Buying a ticket to any event is always worth more than the monetary value of the ticket.

Psychosplodge
12-19-2013, 05:43 AM
Could it be a result of the single staffed shops?
If they're having to bring in out of town cover, or close for a day to do it it's days were going to be numbered...

Denzark
12-19-2013, 06:06 AM
There have been some pukka histrionics over this. The Invasion events where a store rocks up in a one-er to fight another store, are a gonner. Everything else is still on. I could see how the liability of running these events - particularly the travel aspect etc - would get beyond GW - if Mary in a nativity has to wear a hard hat to ride the blinking Donkey...

But TSINI I reckon you thinking WW is on the wane is out of the park.

Mr Mystery
12-19-2013, 07:32 AM
I think the very title itself is extremely histrionic in itself.

PP - Arrange very little. They may provide prize support, but they don't have their own shops, let alone national venue. And ditto for everyone except GW and Mantic.

It's a bit of a disappointment yes, but hardly a sign that the venue itself is in trouble, or about to be shut down and so on.

Chadddada
12-19-2013, 08:43 AM
What about the fact that they are closing down GW shops in the US that have lots of tables in them? There are only 2 bunkers left in the US, and 1 of them is closing next month also. Too bad... I am a true pay where you play person.

Mr Mystery
12-19-2013, 09:41 AM
3rd Party Sellers make them the most profit.

daboarder
12-19-2013, 08:38 PM
3rd Party Sellers make them the most profit.

Yes but the exposure and control has always been cited by GW to be the reason they are successful in comparison to other games. Of course time will tell if closing their bunkers is a good thing in the long run.

Personally I would have cared a year ago, but a FLGS opened in the shop right above the GW store in my area and I now game there, complete with my horde of mantic zombies.

Wildeybeast
12-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Why would they close WW? It costs them virtually nothing to run. Other than ticketed events, they don't have any staff manning place and I'm sure Bugmans and the store pay for themselves, as well as covering the limited overheads of heating, lighting and cleaning the gaming hall. The main cost was the initial investment, and that was done years ago. And what would they do with it if they did close it? It's not like they are moving sites.

Kaptain Badrukk
12-23-2013, 10:30 PM
It's a consolidation move.
Store sales of WW event tickets are being replaced with the WW E-Ticket.
At the same time they remove the trip part, meaning GW has lower liabilities to worry about, and staffing obviously.
Then, just like tournaments and every other WW hosted event, people will just make their own way.
It sucks if you're a young'un, but from the WW store's perspective it prevents a coachload of kids with vouchers from their local store rocking up and taking over.

Mr Mystery
12-24-2013, 06:00 AM
Having attended, and run, and indeed organised Invasion trips in the past, here's a little former insider perspective...

1. You need to agree a date with your Brother Stores.

2. You then need to book that date with WW.

3. Having found out someone else has booked that date, go back to step 1 (no, really!) Rinse and repeat a couple of times.

4. That done, book a coach, and ensure it knows it needs to do a round robin pickup and drop off from the various stores.

5. Put up posters, and start booking.

6a. The event is overbooked. Panic and flail madly about how you're going to do the coach thing

6b. The event is underbooked! Panic and flail madly about whether or not that's the whole thing scuppered

7. All set? Off we go.

8. Bugger. The staff member running the event has somehow managed to not be on the coach when it's departed. Get coach to pull over whilst staffer legs it up the road.

9. SODDING TRAFFIC.

10. SODDING TRAFFIC THIS IS BEYOND A JOKE

11. Try not to lamp the smartarsed neckbeard who reckons everything GW does is wrong.

12. Finally, we're at WW world.

13. Conduct the games in the time remaining, rather than the 8ish hours originally intended, thanks to the traffic.

14. Ensure all the customers are herded back onto the coach.

15. Ensure the staff member running the event, who nicked off as soon as you arrived and couldn't be found when needed, interrupting your gaming pleasure as you have to grab the reins is actually on the coach.

16. Find staff member sitting up the back, with no intention of doing any actual work. Encourage him to sit up front. Be met with blank stare of incomprehension.

17. Minor aneurysm

18. Try not to lamp the sweaty neckbeard again as he singularly fails to grasp the concept that the SODDING TRAFFIC is quite beyond the staff member's control, and indeed, other than the usual accounting, can't really be accounted for where someone has managed to cause a pile up, blocking all three lanes.

19. Further minor aneurysm

20. Neckbeard still whining on and on and on and on and on. Have another slightly more severe aneurysm as you resist the urge to hoof him off the coach and let him make his own way home.

21. Everyone back. Find staff member meant to be running the coach has just sort of wandered off.

22. Do his job for him for one last time that day, doing a final headcount

23. Cry.

Yep.

Wildeybeast
12-27-2013, 04:25 AM
That sounds like organising a school trip, but worse as I can at least tell the kids off (not that they listen).