PDA

View Full Version : Eldar mention in this month's WD

MightyOrang
12-07-2009, 09:35 PM
in the Tale of 4 Gamers section, it notes that the eldar player 'lent his army to the playtesters' ... makes me wonder why GW needs another Eldar army if they're playtesting other armies ... or does it signal playtesting of a new eldar codex?

wittdooley
12-07-2009, 09:38 PM
More interesting to me was in the first article where they were discussing their custom campaign where he states:" [he'd] like to play more often, but he's been so busy working on +++ subject to Inquisitorial censor+++ " comment.

Sweet lord, if that is a hint at the new Inquisition stuff, I'll wet my pants.

Melissia
12-07-2009, 09:53 PM
I'd rather see Sisters stuff than Inquisition stuff, myself.

It said Eldar, rather than Dark Eldar, right? Then I doubt it means anything yet, at any rate.

Faultie
12-07-2009, 10:52 PM

Really? You? I never would have thought. :rolleyes:

Herald of Nurgle
12-07-2009, 11:25 PM
I thought of it a <bit> more like just lending it to others who tried out the army, not a full on playtest.

Eldar are due in 2+ years by now, methinks.

Duke
12-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Eldar is the mistress to my blood angels so I'd love to see a new dex! However it isn't going to happen. I thi k he simply meant the needed to play against eldar and so borrowed his army

DarkLink
12-08-2009, 12:13 AM
More interesting to me was in the first article where they were discussing their custom campaign where he states:" [he'd] like to play more often, but he's been so busy working on +++ subject to Inquisitorial censor+++ " comment.

On warseer, someone did mention that Grey Knights and Sisters of Battle have been put in the works, shortly after the Blood Angels and fleet based Marines rumor. And they specified Grey Knights and then Sisters, not Inquisition.

Frankly, though I think that Eldar are too recent to be getting a new codex so soon. GW has finally gotten into a position where they can revamp some of their really old stuff, that actually needs it, I think.

Cryl
12-08-2009, 02:45 AM

Don't want to be Mr. Negative but isn't that "+++censored by the Inquisition+++" thing just something they do when they want to appear all mysterious and not actually tell us. What I'm getting at is that it could be anything they're working on rather than being Inquistion related.

That said I'm not going to be upset should it turn out to be Inquisition or GKs or SoB... hell necrons would be awesome!

Melissia
12-08-2009, 08:18 AM
That's my thought as well, I dunno if GW is really smart enought o be that subtle.

Old_Paladin
12-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Yeah, I don't see the eldar being redone anytime soon.
Even if the army was needed for official playtesting; it would just be as an opponent to test against the new army coming out after the 'Nids.

HsojVvad
12-08-2009, 10:03 AM
What I don't understand, is why would anyone have to lend their army to GW? Don't they have thier own minis? LOL GW is a huge company and for them to be borring thier own product is just funny. ;)

mstingray
12-08-2009, 10:36 AM
I noticed both those things as well, but it could be for anything, thy could be playtesting/working on theat missions book, because remember the tale of four gamers went on a year ago and he said he hadn't played with them since and the campaign thing has also been going the best part of this year. I wouldn't of thought they would re-release a new codex eldar yet.

Although he could've just lent them to a friend to decide if he/she wanted to do eldar.

Old_Paladin
12-08-2009, 10:41 AM
What I don't understand, is why would anyone have to lend their army to GW? Don't they have thier own minis? LOL GW is a huge company and for them to be borring thier own product is just funny. ;)

Because it might not have gone to GW; some playtesters that are used are actually 3rd party individuals (although there has been a bit of a lock-down on them; as part of rumour control).
If you have some ties to the company, but don't really work for them; they probably aren't going to send you the 'eavy metal teams eldar army or the one from warhammer world. It's easier from them to say to one of their part time writers "Hey, loan out your army for a few weeks"
GW also doesn't have the capacity to build every style of army from every codex. But say if Bigred or Jwolf were friends with an official playtest; I could see them being asked for loans to try out a bunch of different builds.

Marshal2Crusaders
12-08-2009, 11:29 AM

It said Eldar, rather than Dark Eldar, right? Then I doubt it means anything yet, at any rate.

Stop the presses!!! Melissa wants Sisters of Battle!!!

DarkLink
12-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Don't want to be Mr. Negative but isn't that "+++censored by the Inquisition+++" thing just something they do when they want to appear all mysterious and not actually tell us.

Heck, I do this sometimes when posting expletives, since I don't swear, even in person. Something to the effect of [deleted by the Inquisition for blasphemous content].

Duke
12-08-2009, 01:23 PM
I have seen the "+++Censored by the Inqusistion+++" stuff a lot in the years past and it just means that they don't want to tell, not that it actually has anything to do with the big "I"

P.S.- Quit fighting it Melissa, the Sisters will be lumped unforgivingly into codex inquisition. lol

Duke

Melissia
12-08-2009, 02:29 PM
All the best sources say otherwise :P

Faultie
12-08-2009, 04:56 PM
All the best sources say otherwise :P

Every single one? All of the best sources?

Damn...I'm impressed, and wouldn't be disappointed if it were true either.

Aegis
12-08-2009, 05:04 PM
I thought rumour control mentioned Grey knights and Witch Hunters, not Sisters or Inquisition specifically...

Melissia
12-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Not every single source. There's still a few people saying "a friend of a friend" or "an unnamed low-level GW employee" and the like.

Aegis: It's pretty clear that the current intention is to make a Grey Knights and Sisters of Battle codex, which while it might not remove the Inquisition entirely (which would be preferable to me), will focus on the actual armies rather than the inquisition (not that C:WH can be said to focus on the inquisition anyway, but I digress).

Valkerie
12-08-2009, 05:57 PM
It could also be that the playtester wanted a different load out than the GW Eldar army for his Eldar.

Aegis
12-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Not every single source. There's still a few people saying "a friend of a friend" or "an unnamed low-level GW employee" and the like.

Aegis: It's pretty clear that the current intention is to make a Grey Knights and Sisters of Battle codex, which while it might not remove the Inquisition entirely (which would be preferable to me), will focus on the actual armies rather than the inquisition (not that C:WH can be said to focus on the inquisition anyway, but I digress).

Oh, fair enough. Much like you, I love the feel of the Sisters, and feel they should get a codex in their own right. However, given rumour control, as well as past projects from GW, I have learned not to count my chickens before they hatch. It could very well be a Sisters codex, with little to no Inquisition elements, or it could simply be an updated version of the current book.

I only made the comment based on the face value people place on the source (forgive me, the names elude me at the moment), so I just wanted to be on the same page, in case I had missed something.

Melissia
12-08-2009, 07:58 PM
My source is Jervis Johnson, but then he isn't entirely reliable himself.

DarkLink
12-09-2009, 12:07 AM
I thought rumour control mentioned Grey knights and Witch Hunters, not Sisters or Inquisition specifically...

Actually, it specifically stated Grey Knights and Sisters, rather than Daemonhunters and Witchhunters. They probably won't completely drop Inquisitor units, but the focus will almost certainly be on the actual military forces of the Inquisition (well, in the case of the Sisters, the Ecclesiarchy).

Aegis
12-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Actually, it specifically stated Grey Knights and Sisters, rather than Daemonhunters and Witchhunters. They probably won't completely drop Inquisitor units, but the focus will almost certainly be on the actual military forces of the Inquisition (well, in the case of the Sisters, the Ecclesiarchy).
I was actually refering to non-GW led rumour control. I rarely take anything GW says at face value anymore, to be honest.

Melissia
12-09-2009, 05:20 PM
And I tend to ignore most of what most people say because most rumors are trash promulgated by "well, I heard from a friend who was friends with someone whose brother was friends with....".

DarkLink
12-09-2009, 06:12 PM
I was actually refering to non-GW led rumour control. I rarely take anything GW says at face value anymore, to be honest.

Well, this particular one came from Harry on Warseer as I recall, copied and pasted to this thread (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=3432), and he doesn't work for GW. He's just psychic.

Aegis
12-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Well, this particular one came from Harry on Warseer as I recall, copied and pasted to this thread (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=3432), and he doesn't work for GW. He's just psychic.

There is talk of 3 codices in 2010 for 40k
General dispositions of various 40k armies awaiting new codices are described as:
-Necrons: Deep in the development cycle
-Dark Eldar: Deep in the development cycle
-Grey Knights: Work started
-Witchhunters: Work Started

I knew I was not seeing things... Either way, does not matter. Witchhunters or Sisters, we get a new book to play with.

Melissia
12-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Having the Grey Knights separate from the Daemonhunters but not hte Sisters is completely moronic. There's MORE work to do separating the GK from DH, than the AS from WH-- the latter is already pretty damn separate to begin with. Unlike the GK, DH, or WH, the Sisters are a functional army, with a full range of FoC choices (Even if half of them are useless-- they have them).

(And yes, I include the Ecclesiarhcal units, because the Sisters and Ecclesiarchy are inseparable, unlike the Sisters and the Inquisition).

DarkLink
12-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Yeah, as it is, Sisters are almost as independent from the Inquisition as some SM chapters, except that the Ordos Hereticus and Sisters have very similar goals, and a few other common bonds.

On the other hand, Grey Knights explicitly work for the Ordos Malleus. Inquisitors find Daemons, Grey Knights kill them. The real reason to seperate them is because it's the Grey Knights that do the real fighting, not the Inquisition iteself, or at least during the big battles. Inquisitors are like FBI/CIA types, and do have small, elite strike teams, but when an actual battle is about to go down, they call in the Marines (or whatever actual military forces are available).

archimbald
12-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah, I don't see the eldar being redone anytime soon.
Even if the army was needed for official playtesting; it would just be as an opponent to test against the new army coming out after the 'Nids.

i agree simply as their dex isnt THAT olod, some fanasy ones are far older, ie TK, tho im not sure if they have separate design teams. if some one would confirm theis it would be a great help.

DarkLink
12-13-2009, 12:49 PM
i agree simply as their dex isnt THAT olod, some fanasy ones are far older, ie TK, tho im not sure if they have separate design teams. if some one would confirm theis it would be a great help.

Forget fantasy, there are a lot of 40k codices that are older than the Eldar.

Bedroom General
12-18-2009, 01:20 AM
Was it just me or was that the Worst. Issue. Ever. (360 in Australia) It really was nothing but ads and paint jobs. Nothing of any real interest to a 40k guy like myself. I don't play the other systems. Very disappointing use of my readies. Caveat emptor I guess.