PDA

View Full Version : 1500 SM list for this weekend

Chadmack
12-08-2009, 03:33 PM
On sunday I will be playing in a little local tournament, this is what I'm bringing

HQ
Captain - Relic Blade, Storm Shield

Troops
Tactical Squad - Power Fist, Melta Gun, Multi Melta
Rhino - 2 x Storm Bolters

Tactical Squad - Melta Gun, Multi Melta
Rhino - 2 x Storm Bolters

Tactical Squad - Plasma Gun, Plasma Cannon
Razor Back - Twin Linked Heavy Bolter, Storm Bolter

Tactical Squad - Plasma Gun, Las Cannon

Elites
Dreadnought - Twin Linked Las Cannon, Missile Launcher

Dreadnought - 2 x Twin Linked Auto Cannons

Heavy Support
Thunder Fire Cannon

Predator - Auto Cannon, 2 x Heavy Bolters, Storm Bolter

Chumbalaya
12-09-2009, 08:19 AM
Drop the storm bolters and powerfists and you'll free up around 50 points.

I wouldn't go for the Captain at this point, you have no effective means to deliver him. I'd just stick a Librarian in with some Sternguard or something like that.

I'd lose the lascannons for multi-meltas or missiles launchers, and the plasma/melta for flamers. Flexibility and cheapness are very important.

I'd lose the TLLC/ML for another set of TLAC.

Thunderfires kinda suck, just get another dakka Pred.

Some MM/HF speeders never hurt.

Chadmack
12-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Drop the storm bolters and powerfists and you'll free up around 50 points.

I wouldn't go for the Captain at this point, you have no effective means to deliver him. I'd just stick a Librarian in with some Sternguard or something like that.

I'd lose the lascannons for multi-meltas or missiles launchers, and the plasma/melta for flamers. Flexibility and cheapness are very important.

I'd lose the TLLC/ML for another set of TLAC.

Thunderfires kinda suck, just get another dakka Pred.

Some MM/HF speeders never hurt.

Firstly, Librarians a great, I chose a captain to help with comp. In objective missions he will be riding with the power fist to give me some counter assault.

The storm bolters are 5 points a shot and used to build on the gun line and attrition warfare tactics a list like this uses. The power fist is for counter charge and is never a waste of points. If I want to spread the CC love I can throw him in the other rhino or the RB.

The stern guard are a good option for this sized army but I went with 2 dreads instead because I lacked anti tank.

The las cannons are there for the str 9 with range. If I ditch the las/missile dread I wont have enough strength at range to take down MC's and walkers. THe dakka pred is in as a shield and as something to drop my comp score

I have taken the thunder fire to MOAB where I played 12 games over 3 days and found it to be a really solid choice. The 72" range is great and with the 3 types of ammo it has never been a wasted unit

I really don't like speeders. But that is probably because of how I play and they don't really fit what I'm trying to do with this list.

What I am trying to do here is, like I said above, attrition warfare, making the other guy take more saves while relying on the marines 3+ to maintain my own force unti I can charge forward and overwhelm my opponent.

The list you described is more mobile and aggressive where mine is more defensive and well rounded. I know alot of people say that the static gunline is out dated in 5th but I find it works for me.

RocketRollRebel
12-10-2009, 08:55 AM
hmmm well if you are going for a less aggressive style of marines then more power to you! I do agree with Chumby but I'm trying to make my self less cynical about competitive list builds ;). My only suggestion I guess would be to maybe switch up the TLLC/ML dread with a dual TLLC dread? Like Chumby said the TLLC/ML dread isnt all that great really. It looks nice on paper but when I had a GK army it never seemed to preform that well for me. If you do that you could afford to change your tac las cannon to something free like a multi-melta or ML. I do like the TFC tho, I've had Guardsmen mobs ripped to shreds by it in just one shooting phase. Just keep it well protected since it its kinda fragile.

Also the Captain does feel a little awkward. I do agree that maybe a libby would be better, or if you can afford it, take a chapter master so you at least get his orbital bombardment which could be helpful since you are doing a defensive style army.

Good luck to you with the tourny tho and let us know how it goes for you.

Cryl
12-10-2009, 09:06 AM
The shooty dread feels a little vulnerable to me. If you drop the assorted storm bolter upgrades etc you can probably afford another tactical with the weapon options you need to do the same job.

The pred will get the full wrath of the enemies anti tank as it's the only real armour you have, I'd either take more troops or take another pred like Chumbalaya suggested.

The meltaguns are a bit out of place since they're only really useful at very short ranges and you say you're playing gun line style tactics, swapping them out might help with points for more armour or tactical squads.

I've found thunderfire cannons to be too vulnerable but if you're getting results then go for it, variety is always good!

Chadmack
12-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Good luck to you with the tourny tho and let us know how it goes for you.

Result is in.

The Results
Comp 6/10
Paint 5/15
Battle
Round 1 - Vs Daemons - 3+ Win
Round 2 - Vs Dark Eldar - 3+ Win
Round 3 - Vs Guard - 2 point Win
Round 4 - Vs Orks - 2 Point Loss

RESULT
2nd Place
Space Wolf Army Box
Entry to the High Lords of Tera Invitational in Sydney, Australia

couple of pics at

http://miscmarine.blogspot.com

Chumbalaya
12-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Grats.

Post battle reports, nao!

Chadmack
12-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Game 1 VS Daemons
His Army
- Khorne and Slannesh (Pic at the photobucket link in my blog)

Dawn of War without night fight turn 1, 5 Objectives
I won the roll, Let my opponent go first
Korne half landed turn 1, was gunned down to only 1 imobilzed soul grinder

turn 2. 1 squad of daemonetts landed, 1 survived the guns

turn 3. More daeomonetts and squad of Fiends land, Daemonetts are completely wiped out.

Turn 4. Fiends are gunned down completely. Only a stunned and immobilized soul grinder remains.

Turn 5. Stun the soul grinder again,

turn 6. Game ends. I win, 5 objectives to 0

Game 2 Vs Dark Eldar
Spear Head. Whenever a unit kills an enemy unit it gains a counter. If a unit is destroyed it loses all counters, player with the most counters wins
My opponent wins and decides to go first.

I hid behind terrain, let my oponent get close and sprung my gun line on him while my thunder fire took out a squad of snipers and my dreads pummeled his vehicles
Result Win 8 counters to 2

Game 3 Vs Guard
Dawn of war, 10 objectives, roll off at the start of each turn (starting turn 2) winner removes 1 objective.

Opponents army 3 x Russes, 2 sentinels, infantry platoon, 2 vet squads in Chimera's, Commissar Lord

He formed his armor on one flank, I shot it with tac marines and dreads while my transports and pred strong sided the other flank.

End of turn 4 he was winning 2-0. I Assaulted and destroyed a tank to give me 3 objectives, I contested 1 of his with a transport.
End of turn 5, I win 3-1

Game 4 Vs Orks
2 x 20 boys in battle wagons
10 nobs w/painboy, Big mek in truck
20 other boyz, 10 lootas

I didn't stand a chance. I failed to get his vehicles turn 1 only managing to take out his truk and a few boyz. My thunder fire scattered wildly. turn 2 I was assaulted. I tried to contest what I could as the game dragged on but we overwhelmed.

In the end I lost 0-2 and was lucky to get that result

as far as the army goes

Captain - Did ok as a counter charge unit and won a decisive victory against the dark eldar

Tactical squads - flamers and heavy bolters would have been better all over. Power fist had its moments.

Rhinos and Razor Back - Great. Firing 6-8 bolt shots from a rhino is great

Dreads - did their job. both did well in different games

Thunder Fire - Did ok. Took out 13 boyz in 1 turn game 4, did little against guard due to dawn of war and LOS

Predator - Was great. firing 5-10 shots a game. was devastating against the Daemons and the orks.

If I was to do this again it would be

Captain - Relic Blade, Storm Bolter

Tactical Squad -Power Weapon, Heavy Bolter, Flamer
Rhino - 2 x Storm Bolter

Tactical Squad - Heavy Bolter, Flamer
Rhino - 2 x Storm Bolter

Tactical Squad - Heavy Bolter, Flamer
Rhino - 2 x Storm Bolter

Dread - Twin Linked Las, Missile
Dread - Twin Linked Las, Missile
Dread - 2 x Twin Linked Auto Cannons

Thunder Fire Cannon
Predator - Auto Canonn, Heavy Bolters, Storm Bolter
Predator - Auto Canonn, Heavy Bolters, Storm Bolter

Chumbalaya
12-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks, forgot the Aussie comp system is so *** backwards stupid, glad to see you did well with what passed as acceptable :P