PDA

View Full Version : 'Fixing IG Doctrines' - Help Wanted!

Atrotos
12-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Do you, as I do, love the Imperial Guard Veterans squad? I think they might be in the top 5 troop choices of the whole game; versatile and dependable. They have a handful of Doctrines available to them that make them even cooler. If I could change one thing about the whole IG army I would have given Vets a whole page of Doctrines to choose from not to make them 'better' but because I believe the inclusion of more doctrines would have each player personalizing their armies and making them far more unique and charismatic.

So I'm fixing it. And I need your help.

What kind of Doctrines would you like your Vets to have? Try to come up with some that reflect either famous regiments or that fit well with existing Doctrines so players can mix and match. Some doctrines might be available to Command Squads too to reinforce an "army wide" theme.

Here's a few to get us started. They are + 30 points just like the current ones.

Drop Troops: Any Company Command or Veteran (or Sentinel?)squad may be equipped with Grav Chutes (or tunneling equipment etc.). They gain the Deep Strike Universal Special rule and may take Valkyries as Dedicated Transports.

Skitarii: Available to Company Command Squads and Veteran Squads. Units with this upgrade gain a 5+ Invulnerable save due to their powerful augmentations. One member of the squad is equipped with a Signum.

Abhumans/Primitives: Available to Company Command Squads and Veteran Squads. Units with this upgrade suffer a - 1 to their BS but gain + 1 to their WS. Each model with this upgrade may exchange their lasgun with a laspistol for free.

More Doctrine Ideas can found it my Stellan Hoplites (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=2060) thread on this board. What ideas do you guys have for more Doctrines?

Master Bryss
12-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Aww... when you mentioned Doctrines I immediately thought of the Doctrines system from the previous Guard Codex... maybe I'll update that one day.

In the meantime, let's have one for Tanith. How about:

First And Only: Available to Command and Veteran squads. One member of the squad may exchange his lasgun for a sniper rifle for free. The squad gains Camo Cloaks and the Scouts special rule, however they may NOT take a dedicated transport.

Melissia
12-09-2009, 04:36 PM
What's to fix? They're good as they are right now IMO. Yes, you could add more options, but to be honest the options you're suggesting should be for the entire army, not just veterans squads.

Lord Azaghul
12-10-2009, 08:31 AM
You're really having a hard time switching to the new IG book aren't you?

Atrotos
12-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Master Bryss: I think you really nailed the Tanith but you don't have to give them a Sniper Rifle because they already have that option.

Melissia: There is nothing to 'fix' the title is there purely for continuity purposes. I really like the way Doctrines are already and I think it would have been unrealistic to expect Mr. Cruddance to add more than he did. However, I really think it'd be cool if every IG army you saw and played against had a totally different theme from the last. One guy might do 'Grenadiers + Skitarri' while another might just do Tanith. The models and the playstyle would be completely different and thus more colorful and interesting. IG players could have an army that's more or less totally unique.

I've noticed you're always grumbling (probably rightly so) about how many marine codicies there are currently. The Doctrine system could give each IG player more unique abilities than all of SM codicies combined without wasting time printing a 'Tanith' or 'Elysian' codex. I focused on the Veterans and CCS specifically simply because that's how the codex works. It also makes sense because not every Skitarii will have the augmentations that Veterans troops have etc.

Lord Azaghul: Actually I think the new dex is awesome with a lot of great units and only a few mistakes. The previous edition really only favored gunline armies and that was never my thing. This thread is really meant to celebrate the greatness of the new codex by adding to it, not replacing anything. If you respond try to add a Doctrine of your own. I think you'll find just thinking about alternate rules can be fun even if you like the current ones.

Lord Azaghul
12-10-2009, 11:56 AM
I don't really have anything against the current sets, (nor any of yours for that matter), however I've never really cared for the upgrade options. If anything confired outflank I"d be all over that.

Currently I run 2-3 squads, depending on the battle size. Melta,Melta, Flamer Chimera. I always keep then in reserve and use them to push back drop troops, or counter my opponents deployment. The doctrines just don't give me the vercitility I'd like.

The camocloak one sounds decent, but then I think you'd get pinnin in place and engaged in cc before you wanted to.

Master Bryss
12-10-2009, 12:59 PM
(On the Tanith) Bad wording. What I meant was that it would cost nothing to give a Veteran a sniper rifle, instead of the 5 points it would normally cost. Not many points, but it's fluffy.

Herald of Nurgle
12-10-2009, 02:19 PM
How about this: instead of making doctrines, you go the same way as all of the other regiments did and do special characters which represent said doctrines?

Melissia
12-10-2009, 07:40 PM
I've noticed you're always grumbling (probably rightly so) about how many marine codicies there are currently.

Only because they are the only ones to get such treatment. If all the factions got similar treatment I would have no problems with it.