PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Guard vs Iron Warriors - 2,000 points

mercer
12-09-2009, 08:08 AM
I wanted to test out my modified Imperial Guard list, the missus decided to jump on the bandwagon and play too – which I was surprised about as she hasn’t played for ages and usually gets fed up! I was going to test the Guard out on my Imperial Fists, as they’re perhaps the strongest army I have, however, my missus wasn’t fond of the “yellow men” and wanted to be something else, so I gave her the Iron Warriors aka the “nasty evil ones” lol.

Imperial Guard

HQ

1 x Company Command Squad w/ Chimera – 4 x plasma guns

1 x Company Command Squad w/ Chimera – 4 x plasma guns

Troops

10 x Veterans – 3 x meltaguns

10 x Veterans – 3 x meltaguns

10 x Veterans w/ Chimera – 3 x meltaguns

10 x Veterans w/ Chimera – 3 x flamers

10 x Veterans w/ Chimera – 3 x flamers

Fast Attack

1 x Vendetta

1 x Vendetta

2 x Hellhounds – 2 x multi meltas

Heavy Support

1 x Leman Russ Battle Tank

1 x Leman Russ Demolisher

1 x Leman Russ Demolisher

Iron Warriors

HQ

1 x Daemon Prince – warptime & mark of nurgle

1 x Daemon Prince – warptime & mark of nurgle

Elite

5 x Terminators – 1 x chain fist, 3 x combi meltas & 1 x heavy flamer

5 x Terminators – 1 x chain fist, 2 x combi meltas & 1 x heavy flamer

Troops

10 x Chaos Marines w/ Rhino – 2 x meltaguns – champion w/ power fist

10 x Chaos Marines w/ Rhino – 2 x meltaguns

10 x Chaos Marines w/ Rhino – 2 x plasma guns

Heavy Support

3 x Obliterators

1 x Defiler – heavy flamer & extra dccw

1 x Defiler – heavy flamer & extra dccw

Game: pitched battle & kill points

Turn 1

Imperial guard rolled to go first, using the scout move for the vendettas I turbo boosted them 24”.

In the guard turn the two vendettas moved 6”, one moved into terrain but passed terrain test ok. Both squads of melta vets inside bailed out, one squad aimed for a daemon prince the other squad at a defiler. All other units move forward as far as they can, though the demolishers didn’t move far using the lumbering behemoth rule and the battle tank only moved 6”.

In the shooting turn the melta vets put two wounds on the daemon prince, the other melta vets scored weapon destroyed and immobilised result on the defiler. The vendetta in terrain fires at the other defiler, scoring two weapon destroyed results and immobilised – both defilers are now useless. The other vendetta fires at a rhino the daemon prince was hiding behind, but only scores weapon destroyed result. The battle tank fired at a rhino, but the shot scattered and missed.

In the chaos turn the rhino which got shot at by the vendetta moves 6” towards the melta vets in terrain, the plasma chaos marines bail out and prepare to fire. The wounded daemon prince casts warptime, but fails and takes another wound! The other two remaining rhinos move, one rhino moves out in the open and pops smoke, the second daemon prince hides behind it. The other rhino moves towards one of the CCS and supporting flamer vets – it has popped smoke too.

In the shooting phase only one obliterator can draw LOS to one of the hellhounds, but its enough and scores a immobilised result which changes into wrecked as in a squadron, kill point for chaos! The plasma chaos marines open fire on the melta vets in cover, but after cover saves only score three wounds – melta vets pass leadership test and hang around.

In assault the wounded daemon prince charges and smacks about the melta vets which previously shot at it, it kills three and takes no wounds, though the brave melta vets stay in combat after passing their leadership test.

So far chaos is winning with one kill point.

Turn 2

Melta vets in terrain hold position, though both vendettas move 6” – the one in terrain passes terrain test ok. Other units move through terrain to get closer to the battle, though the melta vets in a chimera gets immobilised in a ruin in the centre of the board.

In the shooting turn the melta vets in terrain fire at the plasma marines, but only score one wound after armour saves. One vendetta fires at the obliterators and gives instant death to two of them as they fail their invulnerable saves. The battle tank fires at the rhino in the open with the daemon prince behind, but it scatters and misses, the other vendetta fires at the same target at the rear weak armour and pops it. The solo hellhound unleashes flame on the chaos marines but scores no wounds after saves :( . The two demolishers are now in range, but both misses their targets (cannot remember what they were!). Flamer vets chimera supporting one of the CCS fires at the other chaos rhino, but scores no damage, the CCS chimera fires at the same target and pops it – now two kill points to the guard! The tooled up plasma gun CCS fire on the chaos marines now out their tank, but roll three 1’s for gets hot – and all those guardsmen fail their armour save! After saves from plasma fire which hit, only 5 chaos marines remain but they pass their leadership test.

In assault the daemon prince casts warp time successfully and smacks the melta vets around again, killing for. They pass morale test again and the prince stays tied up.

One terminator unit arrives from reserve and teleports by the chaos marines which took a beating from plasma, though they arrive outside of the difficult terrain left by the exploded rhino.

Chaos movement turn, the other daemon prince moves over towards the closest vendetta. The chaos marines which got popped out their rhino by the vendetta move towards the hellhound, meltas ready. The chaos marines which got gunned down by plasma move towards the CCS chimera. Both princes cast warptime ok. The plasma marine unit move into terrain ready to assault the melta vets in terrain.

In the shooting turn the solo obliterator fires at a demolisher but misses. The chaos marines in front of the hellhound fire meltas and pop it, kill point for the iron warriors. The terminators unleash combi melta at the CCS chimera, but only score weapon destroyed, the chaos marines by the chimera fire meltas too and wreck it, another kill point for chaos! The plasma marines switch to bolt pistols and fire on the melta vets scoring two wounds, melta vets pass leadership test ok.

In assault the daemon prince tied up in combat against the melta vets kills them all in sweeping advance. The other daemon prince scores crew shaken, weapon destroyed and immobilised results on the vendetta. The plasma marines batter and kill the melta vets in terrain and consolidate towards the oncoming tag team of flamer vets and second CCS in chimeras. The other chaos marine unit which popped the CCS chimera charges, and kills them all in assault.

Iron warriors are winning with 6 kill points to 2 kill points for the guard!

Turn 3

The melta vets in the immobilised chimera in terrain bail out and move up to the first level in the ruin. All remaining tanks move 6” and are ready to fire. The remaining vendetta moves 6” away from the wounded daemon prince. The flamer vets which are supporting the second CCS bail out and light up their flamers ready for the plasma chaos marine squad.

In the shooting phase the CCS passes orders for first rank fire second rank fire on the flamer vets, the flamer vets BBQ the plasma chaos marines with help from the CCS, the entire unit is wiped out giving guard a much needed kill point. The wounded prince is gunned down from multi laser fire from the two chimeras of the CCS and flamer vets. The operational vendetta fires at the solo obliterator and scores two wounds, it fails them both and gives guard another kill point, giving them 4 in total. Both demolishers fire at each defiler, one shot scatters and misses the other scores crew shaken which daemonic possession ignores – not that a busted defiler can do a lot anyway. The battle tank fires at the chaos marines which wrecked the hellhound, it lands on target and kills all but three! The melta vets in terrain which bailed out the immobilised chimera fire at the same target as the battle tank, but only score another wound after saves. The other flame vet units unleash flamers on the chaos marine unit which battered the CCS in combat, but only scores one wound after saves, their chimera unleashes the heavy flamer at the terminators but scores no kills. All chaos marines called to take leadership tests pass ok.

In the chaos turn the two remaining chaos marines head towards the battle tank, one meltagun and a power fist ready. The terminators move through terrain ready to assault the chimera or the flamer vets inside.

In the shooting turn the solo meltagun from the remaining two chaos marines does no damage on the battle tank. The chaos marines close to the terminators fire meltaguns at the side armour of the chimera, but only score crew shaken. The remaining daemon prince casts warptime.

In assault the power fist champion charges the battle tanks and wrecks it, kill point for the iron warriors. The chaos marines which shot at the chimera charge it but do nothing, the terminators charge it as well, but do nothing. The daemon prince wrecks the immobilised vendetta.

We had to call the game a day in the end, but Iron Warriors win with 8 kill points to the Imperial Guards 5 kill points.

So, I just got my beat by my missus by telling her tactics to use against me, nice! Game was enjoyable, shame didn't go on for more turns. I found out in order to wipe out a marine unit, or do a lot of damage it takes the tag team of two guardsmen units to finish them off.

List wise I thought it did better than previous. I'm glad I got first turn as at last I can put my tactic into plan of scouting the vendettas forward, then in my turn dishing out the pain. The plan paid off a bit, a wounded daemon prince and two defilers which cannot do anything wasn't bad.

Vendettas I am still iffy about. I think they did ok this turn, but they're best for popping light armour. I think in total together they wrecked a rhino, killed three obliterators and took out two defilers out the game. Perhaps could have done a bit more. I'm going to play with them a little bit more, then try them as valkyries if I am still not impressed.

Hellhounds in a squad still take damage. One always gets popped before it can be used. My plan is to wreck a transport, then both hounds unleash the pain with inferno cannons - though this doesn't happen. Though I managed to put the plan into action when a vendetta popped a rhino and the hellhound put the pain in. I really do want two hounds, but I don't think its paying off.

Leman Russ Battle Tank worked well. It let me get in some early shots while the Demolishers still lumber into range. For 150 points it put the pain on a chaos marine unit. Perhaps could have done better, but I was impressed and will be keeping it - much better than the expensive Executioner variant.

The dual CCS's with plasmas I think worked well. Ok, one squad mauled itself after rolling several 1's and failed armour saves, but that was just bad luck, right? The second CCS did well kicking chaos marine *** and made sure none survived. I think if I re-jigged the list I'd put either carapace armour on or medi-kit for feel no pain. I like them, definately better than the all flamer setup and two are better than one for using orders once my vets are out the Chimeras.

The solo melta veterans in the Chimera were ok. I didn't really give them much thought on what to do with them. I guess they should roam ahead and do some damage against anything they can. I do like to use tanks in pairs, or give them support, but this one runs solo.

I've got some love for the flamer vets. Once whatever is out the transport they unleash flamer templates, they work will with a plasma CCS which can either pop a transport or provide them valuable fire support.

anilthi
12-10-2009, 09:35 PM
As I understand it, melta bombs act like grenades. So can they only be used during the assault phase? Is there a more ranged method of employing a melta bomb? It seems like a poor idea to get face to face with something you intend to blow up, but I guess we've all looked into that dark can of gasoline with a lit match before.
Simulation financement auto achat | (http://financementautomobile.org/)Capacite financement automobile occasion | (http://financementautomobile.org/)Calcul taux financement credit automobile neuve (http://financementautomobile.org/)

MasterSlowPoke
12-15-2009, 03:44 AM
The Hellhound unit only gives up one kill point when both Hellhounds are destroyed.

mercer
12-15-2009, 05:29 AM
Yeah, I couldn't make my mind up at the time. Makes sense as just one unit.