PDA

View Full Version : Lysander SMASH!!!

The Mystic
12-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Hey guys!

Played useing Vulkan for quite awhile now and decided I wanted a change of pace so I've made a list useing Lysander! Here it is:

HQ

Lysander

ELITES

Sternguard (8): 2 Heavy flamers, 2 combi-meltas, Lightning claw, Drop pod

TROOPS

Tactical squad (10): Powerfist, flamer, lascannon, Rhino
Tactical squad (10): Powerfist, flamer, lascannon, Rhino
Scout squad (5): 5 sniper rifles, 5 camo cloaks

FAST

Attack bike squad (2): Multi melta
Attack bike squad (2): Multi melta

HEAVY

Vindicator: siege shield
Vindicator: siege shield

TOTAL PTS: 1500
TOTAL KP'S: 12

So what do you guys think? Any good?

Thanks in advance guys!

Nabterayl
12-10-2009, 05:33 PM
I like it quite a bit, personally.

Datadep5
12-10-2009, 05:49 PM
I hope you are going after someone's weak flank with that sternguard squad; to which I assume that's where Lysander is going. If he are they land is too dense, then you can expect to lose all of them.

I like the two heavy flamers, that'll be very nice.

I might hold the vidicators in reserve as they'll be nice targets from the start. Or hide them really well, so when that enemy squad gets close, they'll be destroyed by your tank.

tjkopena
12-10-2009, 07:45 PM
I have trouble seeing the value in the two Sternguard w/ Heavy Flamers, certainly not if you're giving away the Sternguard bolter ammo selection to get them (can you swap pistols for them? I don't have my book with me).

The flamers can't shoot when the pod drops. If there's an enemy nearby, they're getting assaulted and won't be able to shoot them... If the enemy's not close enough to assault the Sternguard, the flamer's out of range and can't shoot if you move closer... If you're assaulting, the Flamers can't be used...

All in all I have trouble believing that they'll see much use for the price (both pts and loss of ammo), as compared to the baseline Sternguard's potentially devastating shooting and decent assault (for Marines; 2 attacks each).

Chumbalaya
12-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Heavy Flamers are assault weapons.

Swap the Tactical lascannons for multi-meltas and it could work. A Libby with Gate and null zone would help a lot, but I doubt you could fit him in.

Remember, Vindicators + DSing friendlies = bad.

The Mystic
12-11-2009, 04:03 AM
Hey guys!

Thanks for the replys so far and keep them comeing.

Time to explain some of my choices I think.

First, Heavy flamers. Basically just to give me some half decent shooting if I find myself in a situation where it is better for me to assault than rapidfire. Also, it never hurts that they ignore cover.:D

Second, Lascannons. I went for lascannons for the exta range as I already have multimeltas with the two squads of attack bikes and though the would do me better.

And third, Lysander. He does a nice bit for the army and he's rock solid but I am curious that I might do better with someone else. Vulkan springs to mind but I have also toyed with the idea of useing a Librarian in terminator armour with Gate and Nullzone as already suggested and even Cassius because he's cheap and quite tough and would also allow me to buff out the Sternguard abit.

What do you guys think?

Cryl
12-11-2009, 06:15 AM
I'd drop lysander and take a librarian to go with the sternguard, Cassius would also work in that unit but he's probably not as useful. Dropping the scouts as well gives you enough points to add an additional tactical squad with a transport into the list.

I'd also consider dropping the bikes and taking land speeders instead. You can give them the same armament (MM) and I find the deep strike useful they are 10 points more though.

If you combine the changes it's worth putting locator beacons onto your pods so your speeders can deepstrike where you want them and the libby can bounce the sternguard around the board safely.

davel
12-13-2009, 02:40 AM
trouble with lysander is that on one hand he is a close combat monster. on the other he has that bolter drill ability that can't be ignored. The compromise position seems to be stick him with terminators though this is pricy.
Also his ability to reinforce defenses may offer you a points saving on camo cloaks. Though it might be best to use this with tac marines guarding base objectives ( depending on mission).

dave l

12-13-2009, 07:15 PM
I am a huge fan of Lysander. He provides something that is lacking in the marine dex and that is Eternal Warrior. I run a unit of sternguard in a drop pod equipped with combimeltas and combiflamers it is the Lysander delivery system. Typically this unit has a smashing first turn of shooting either with meltas or with flamers depending on what I've sent them after. When your using Lysander he only needs to survive a round of shooting cause if he can do that he will eat pretty much everything else in CC. The other great thing about Lysander is you give your army stubborn that means you get to keep your marine leadership no matter whats happening which can be huge. Know going in with this list that your sternguard are an alpha strike unit more then likely they are going to die, but they tend to attract a lot of firepower and that buys time for your other units.

Lysander is an offensive unit I've always had greater success with him in an offensive role then a defensive one.

The Mystic
12-13-2009, 07:59 PM
That's pretty much how I intend to use them. :D