PDA

View Full Version : Dark Angels, Good or Bad?

CrimsonFist1149
12-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Ok considering the recent books that have come out for the Dark Angels I was wondering what people think, are the Dark Angels actually the bad guys and the Fallen the good guys?

Personally im leaning towards dark angels being the bad guys.

Melissia
12-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Neither, just as there aren't really "good guys" in 40K with rare exceptions (one could claim Sebastian Thor was a good guy, but there's a section of the Imperial population that thinks he is the ultimate heretic...).

RocketRollRebel
12-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Yeah thats kinda the fun of 40k is that their are no good guys at all. Except maybe Orks ;). Are the loyalist Dark Angels really traitors and heretics? Nah I dont think so.

sicarius2424
12-11-2009, 10:44 PM
i haven't read too much on dark angles but from what i know they are in the middle the grey area that lets them be what ever suits them because they keep to themselves alot and have their own private agenda

dmcq
12-12-2009, 08:39 PM
I think that its a complex situation, but Johnsons actions show an inate paranoia that is hidden by his charisma.

Think of his actions during the crusade, the constant checking on the old dark angels and the way that his newer fleet tracked them. The way that Luther and the other angels wer ebanished back to caliban and the fact that Caliban itself was a Death world infected by Chaos!!

Thoughts???

Melissia
12-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Paranoia? In 40K? Pshawww!

Just_Me
12-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Keeping in mind that everything in 40k is in shades of grey.

The Dark Angel loyalists are "good guys," generally they are jackasses (in the image of their primarch) but nonetheless "good." The Fallen are (or at least started out) nobly intentioned, but misguided, so also "good" guys. The Dark Angels are essentially tragic, nothing is as clear-cut as they think it is, but they just can't see it.

druchi
12-13-2009, 10:39 AM
This is the grim dark future of 40k nothing is good only shades of black, marines in general are not good guys they make the SS look like Mr Rodgers. Although as has been said nothing is ever clear-cut and when the 'bad' DA rebelled they did so for the good intentions just got corrupted down the line and then Lion in his fit of homosexual paranoia * read the poem called Dark Angel ;) * got a bit mad...

Culial
12-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Personally I don't think any of the Dark Angels Legion can be considered 'Good Guys'.

While their Emperor and Galactic Capitol were under threat from their insidious turncoat 'brother' Legions, they stopped off to check on the old 'hood, and catch up with family over a cup of Caliban Spikey-Poison-Purple-Leaf Tea (or whatever the native hot beverage of choice on that particular Death-World may be).

Dude, what the Hell?
Clean house after the traitors have been dealt with!

It's not like Johnson was worried about what the Lutherites would do to his beloved Caliban in the interim, because he blew that up himself! :rolleyes:

And if he was that paranoid about the threat they posed, why not send them to their deaths against the traitors, not lose loyal Astartes killing them yourself!
As far as I can see the Lutherites were basically just sick of sitting on their thumbs, so a good fight would have solved all his problems anyways :p

As far as the present-day Chapter goes, they most likely are 'Good Guys', if nothing else they've brainwashed themselves into believing that over the millennia ;)

archimbald
12-14-2009, 02:48 PM
read the book fallen if you want to get the best novella style of info, tho there was something going on about GW,( could even have been in this forum) deilbrately not releasing DA background as to add to their mystery