PDA

View Full Version : Power Armor

Sitnam
12-11-2009, 11:07 PM
So, I was thinking. Power armor is a very common thing in science fiction. as I am typing this on a warhammer 40k forum, I am positive everyone here knows what power armor is. But what is power armor? We know power armor in the elite of the Imperium: Space Marines, Grey Knights, Sisters of Battle, and the occasional Inquisitor. But power armor has been used so often in various sci-fi settings, the image of power armor in 40k terms isnt the only one. The original 'power armor' was Heinleins version in his novel Starship Troopers. But his versions was much different from 40k's. In all reality, his version actually reminds me alot of Tau Battlesuits (Low altitude flight capabilities, various weapons sytems, operate in much smaller teams then regular infantry.). Other versions include Master Chiefs MJOLNIR battle armor, FEAR's R.E.V.E power armor, Terminator Armor, District 9 Prawn armor, Matrix APU's (Arguable between mech or power armor), and the upcoming power armor in avatar (Similar to Matrix APU. More mech then PA.)

All of these very, some being little more then armored exoskeletons (Imperial power armor, Master Cheif.), while others are mobile weapons platforms (Tau Battlesuits, Prawn armor, R.E.V.E armor.) while others are more like mechs (APU's). So my question is, what do you guys consider the stereotypical version of power armor? What do you consider the classical image of power armor?

I myself consider Tau Battlesuits or Prawn armor as good examples, especially as I consider Heinlein's vision the original and best ideal of power armor

Aldramelech
12-12-2009, 01:42 AM
Don't forget Dale Brown's Tin Man Battle Suits in his novels.

Sitnam
12-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Don't forget Dale Brown's Tin Man Battle Suits in his novels.

Ahh yes. From what I read its a skinsuit, correct? I actually forgot about skinsuits, but I guess they could also be considered power armor. If so, wouldn't Eldar Armor count as power armor?

Aldramelech
12-12-2009, 12:26 PM
If memory serves its a lightweight exoskeleton with a positively charged special fabric, so a bit of both.

DarkLink
12-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Actually, Heinlein's wan't the original. That goes to the Lensman series by EE Smith, back in 1937.

Regardless, power armor is very simple to define. It is simply a mechanical device that is "worn", which amplifies the strenght of the user.

Technically this isn't powered armor per se. These are powered exoskeletons, which can have armor attached to them. In more advanced designs, the exoskeleton and armor become effectively merged together.

Sitnam
12-13-2009, 12:58 AM
Actually, Heinlein's wan't the original. That goes to the Lensman series by EE Smith, back in 1937.

Regardless, power armor is very simple to define. It is simply a mechanical device that is "worn", which amplifies the strenght of the user.

Technically this isn't powered armor per se. These are powered exoskeletons, which can have armor attached to them. In more advanced designs, the exoskeleton and armor become effectively merged together.

I had a feeling heinlein wasnt the first, I couldnt find any earlier examples.

BuFFo
12-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Emperor Titans are my favorite kind of power armor. To be the Princep wired into and piloting that thing must be sooo friggin cool. :p

Sitnam
12-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Emperor Titans are my favorite kind of power armor. To be the Princep wired into and piloting that thing must be sooo friggin cool. :p

I dont think titans count as power armor. That is a full blown mech1

Brass Scorpion
12-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Power armor is a very common thing in science fiction.
Not before 1959 and the publication of Heinlein's novel, Starship Troopers. And all the seminal iconic elements of "Space Marines" for 40K come from that book, power armor, hand flamers, jump packs. It's loaded with ideas worth "borrowing".