PDA

View Full Version : 1750 space wolves list Competitive

mjayc50
12-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Been trying to come up with a final list for space wolves but i need to open it out to the knowledgable gaming community.
This has been tweaked already and is so far unbeaten but not the standard that you would expect at a GT

HQ: Logan Grimnar

1 Wolf Lord
Runic Armour, WTT, Thunderwolf, SS, Frost Weapon, Saga of the Warrior Born

Troops:15 Blood Claws 1 pf, 1 melta, 1 plasmagun

5 grey hunters 1 motw, 1 flamer in razorback with tl/lc

5 grey hunters 1 flamer in razorback with tl/lc

5 grey hunters 1 flamer in razorback with tl/lc

Fast attack:4 thunderwolves 1 SS, 1TH, 1mb, 1 normal (for Thunderwolves anyway...)

Heavy Support: 5 Long Fangs, 4 missile launchers

Heavy Support: 5 Long Fangs, 4 missile launchers

Tactics : well as you can see its quite shooty. LF going after transports or MC. may even use logan in the squad if faced with something that needs to die or not shoot til the thunderwolves arrive.
razorbacks will shoot other tanks, mc or whatever they need to. the squad with the 1 motw will hang around with the long fangs in case drop podded (just to buy the fangs a few more turns if need be) other two will be moving 6 to an objective or staying in cover.
Logan is so versatile. he is uber in CC (the guy is biblical!) grants the BC 5 attack on the charge. re roll hits. or tank hunters (makes 10 st 9 hits on raiders/liths, normal doods at s5). Relentless could be used with the fangs or to rapid fire plasmagun and still assault (if going after transports that are yet to be destroyed).
Thunderwolves with the wolf lord. cant help but plough points into these guys. they are just going to get into combat with anything they can as quickly as possible. this squad is nice against 30 man ork squads or anyone else for that matter - dreadnaughts are out of bounds and make me cry. lord can leave squad to kill tac marines or any other troop type squad while the rest can so the same.
Im looking to give the enemy so many target options that they need to prioritise targets. fangs should be left alone whilst anti tank is going after my razorbacks and anti infantry are trying to get to grips with my thunderwolves or logan's delivery squad.

Problems i can see: tho it has 4 scoring unit 3 of them are a bit fragile i know - has to be this way or i cant get my toys in best of a hard choice tho. 5 man squads of the best troop choice in the game along witha lascannon thats virtually always going to hit is awesome!

Claws and logan could be ravaged early - they will be spaced 2 inches apart religously tho - also means my lf dont get hurt (maybe). lots of pie plates could hurt (from IG) but i have alot of firepower available (7 effective s9 hits from 48 inches away should be a deterant - tho logan has to be with lf.
LF could do with an extra man 5 ml each - ten a turn - could be brutal - am seriously considering this

no psychic defence or ability other than 5+ on the squad with the 2 hq's in. lash could hurt the TWC. Solution is just pummel him with missiles as soon as possible or get some kind of runepriest and have him near the centre of the board (possibly dropping the wolf lord and maxing the lf but i just cant figure it out at the moment so im going to stick with this - it could hurt against 1 or 2 players but most of all its going to be good having the lord on a cav.
i guess the question will be answered for me when they release the faq (if he becomes T4(5) then he might not be worth the points investment).

Have i missed anything obvious? what could other armies do to me at GT level? i know i will be facing double lash but i thin we can take em ;-) - think of the sneakiest tricks that could spell disaster for me. all comments appreciated, but please give me some reasoned arguments and not just fact statements - im not a begginer - but i may have chosen a lesser of two evils than you. Enlighten me!

Chumbalaya
12-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Walking Bloodclaws? Only 3 vehicles?

Those seem like pretty big problems.

Unholy_Martyr
12-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Chumbalaya only scratched the surface of your problems my friend. Walking Blood Claws, aren't that bad, add in the fact that they have a Melta Gun and Plasma Gun and you've got yourself a SERIOUS issue. Two groups of Long Fangs with 4 Missile Launcers each...threatening on paper, but if this is for a tournament, you may want to add some flavor in here. Next come your H.Q. choices...Logan, yeah he's awesome...but team him with a Thunderwolf Lord...you're easily looking at 500 points+ in H.Q., that's almost 30% of your points being poured into H.Q.'s and those points are DESPERATELY needed elsewhere, especially if you want flexibility.

I'll just point out some things to hopefully get you going in the right direction:
1) Drop Logan, at this level, the Thunderwolf Lord by himself will suffice. If you want another H.Q., invest in either a Rune Priest or Wolf Priest. If you want a superb fire base that will guarantee ownership of an objective, invest in a Rune Priest with Living Lightening, give him a Chooser of the Slain and Master of the Runes and I'm sure you can figure out the big picture, and you are still left with 115 points to play with. Also, this would help to protect you from your fear of Psychic powers. Wolf Priest is a no brainer, stick him with the Blood Claws and watch as they become a force to be reckoned with in close combat, or an awesome tarpit :-).

2) About your Blood Claws...they aren't given bolters for a reason...the Chapter doesn't want to waste those, you shouldn't even bother with Melta or Plasma. Granted, Melta would be a healthy choice, as 2 melta guns promote armor popping but we're still talking BS 3 and these guys are meant to assault, not shoot. I would drop the weapons from them, and invest the points elsewhere.

3) Your Grey Hunter squads are for lack of a better term...semi-useless. 5 Man squads? You realize these boys can fit 6 deep in a Razorback? More bodies my friend, this list needs it. Also, no Power Weapons, Mark of the Wulfen or even Power Fists (Save for the fellow in the first squad)? This army is focused on assault, they want to get tied in, they want to get ugly so don't deny them of it. With the points saving I pointed out before, you can kit these guys out more effectively.

These 3 points are just the beginning my friend, address them and maybe we'll be able to salvage something for you.

Erik Morkai
12-30-2009, 05:00 PM
If you absolutely must give your Blood Claws special weapons, then never ever ever give them plasma, which prevents them from assaulting that turn. Even meltas are a poor choice with BS3. If you must give an assault unit with poor shooting skills guns, then give them flamers. Flamers are good for supporting their charge and the BS3 is irrelevant.