PDA

View Full Version : Plasma Question

Mr. Smith
12-14-2009, 02:46 AM
After reading Goatboy's latest article I had a question, in his article he talks about using plasma weaponry becoming popular again. Now I'm confused, with the recent emergence of the new Tyranid codex and their losing of Eternal Warrior ( most likely). Why would you want to use Plasma guns instead of Melta?

Cryl
12-14-2009, 02:57 AM
That's more to do with the range on melta than anything else. If you're in melta range you're in assault range for the enemy and against 'nids that's pretty much bad for almost any army. Plasma on the other hand gives you nearly as good offensive power S7 vs S8 and increased range, the AP1 and 2D6 AP that you get from melta is meaningless against non mech. That range keeps you alive for another turn, which is another turn of shooting.

Mobious
12-14-2009, 04:36 AM
You also have to remember that no one is advocating that you replace all Melta with Plasma. Just that packing a few Plasma weapons (or equivalents) can be useful. Lately a lot of people are reverting to Las/Plas Razorbacks for the extra firepower. Not only do you have long/medium range anti-tank, but at 12" you can put out 3 (two of which are twin linked) high strength shots and really put the hurt on MCs and heavy armor alike.

Chumbalaya
12-14-2009, 07:45 AM
Plasma has twice the shots, hence the desire to swap out. A handful of plasmas probably wouldn't hurt, but meltas would still be your go-to weapon since they would still pop tanks and wound MCs on a 2+ (as opposed to a 3+) in addition to insta-popping medium bugs.

TheBitzBarn
12-14-2009, 08:03 AM
I would totally Keep some Melta and I think the thing to do is to split out the weapons Always keep some Plasma I have always been a fan of Mixing I think the Overload one way leave you vulnerable.

Mr. Smith
12-14-2009, 08:16 AM
Alright, gotcha, thanks.

brother drakist
12-14-2009, 08:32 AM
To be honest I will most likely stick to Melta. Instakill and Tank killing ability trump a weaker weapon with additional shots.....especially when it can kill you. My view from a CSM perspective is that you have to bring the all rounder when you do not know what your facing. For me that is two Meltas, and PF. This combo can handle both the shooting phase and CC phase pretty well.

Currently I do run a single dual plasma squad with a powerweapon for anti-infantry work. However there have been times whne they have been charged by a MC that they could not put a dent into. I am not a WAAC type player but being locked in combat with something you cannot hurt does get annoying.