PDA

View Full Version : 1250 Double Tournament, Daemons and Tau

MetalStorm4786
12-14-2009, 08:56 AM
There is a local teams tournament coming up, 1250 per person, 2500 per team. Each person has to use thier own FoC. I'm going to be teamed up with my brother who is going to bring Tau, I'll be bringing Chaos Daemons. This is what I'm thinking of bringing.

1250 Khorne Army

Bloodthirster
5 Bloodcrushers with Chaos Icon
10 Bloodletters
10 Bloodletters
10 Bloodletters
Soul Grinder with Phlegm
Soul Grinder

That's an even 1250

Any suggestions? Not sure what Tau is bringing, but w/e it is, it will compliment this, lots of guns obviously.

Chumbalaya
12-14-2009, 09:35 AM
Eh, I'd just bring as many big meanies as possible. 2 Thirsters and 3 Grinders would work, backed by Plaguebearers and Fiends. Tau can crack armor well, and with kroot infiltrating all over the place they can support your big bricks.

Duke
12-15-2009, 12:11 PM
If your going to run with tau I would do almost exactley what Chumby suggested, only for different reasons.

I have played a lot against Daemons and I have to say that Soul Grinders aren't as good as Daemon Princes.
They are too easy to kill, I had one sternguard kill 3 Soul Grinders this last weekend.

Also, I know that everyone and their mother wants to love Blood letters, but they are too easy to kill. If you run into one flamer you can say goodbye to a good portion of your squad.... And if you have a smart opponent he will have a null zone nearby.

I would suggest taking

2 Blood Thirsters
a few "objective holders," this would most likely be multiple small squads of plauge bearers.
3 Daemon Princes.

Then get your Tau buddy to bring anti tank and speed, which should be very easy for him.

Duke

SlavesToDarkness
12-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Theres an easy way to make a competetive Daemons list:

1. 2 big monsters for HQ (Pref. 1 Great Unclean One w/ Cloud of flies).
2. 3 Daemon Princes for Heavy Support.
3. 2+ Plaguebearer Units
4. As many good elites as you can fit in.

Monster mash is a nightmare. If you follow the above formula, you cannot go wrong. No matter what your choices are. All the greater daemons are fantastic and, so long as you don't go overboard with upgrades, Damon-Princes are always great. Except for beasts of nurgle (which are not bad! just worse than the other choices) all the Elites are GREAT.

Deep strike aggressively and get into your opponent's backfield. The Tau can explode land raiders and armor all day long and you will win.

MetalStorm4786
12-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Things have changed...

My brother is going to be running Nidzilla and I will be running Daemonzilla.

Combined, our lists wills be something like:

Bloodthirster
Keeper of Secrets
Soul Grinder with Phlegm
Soul Grinder with Phlegm
Soul Grinder with Phlegm
Some troops

Hive Tyrant
Hive Tyrant
Carnifex
Carnifex
Carnifex
More Troops

Should be pretty nasty.

eagleboy7259
12-21-2009, 11:52 PM
Keeper of Secrets is very meh IMOP. He is the least survivable of all the greater demons, pavane is only a weak lash type shooting and you either get to use it or run. The Bloodthirster and Lord of Change are high enough I that they should usually go first in CC and the only real benefit that the KoS over the others is being able to charge units in cover and still go first and ping pong between units with hit and run. Neither of which are usually an issue because of the prevalence of mech in competitive lists and that the KoS should be able to break units after the first round of combat and should ideally be supported in assault. Besides fluffly wise red guys hate pink girls.

One other idea might be to switch the Grinders from Phlegm to Tongue since Carnifexes can easily cover the same job with Barbed Stranglers or Hive Tyrants with double twin linked devourers. Both Nid's and Demons really struggle to have a truly effective way to deal with armor.

Do you have an idea about how your friend will be running the Nidzilla? Is he going the usual dakka flyrant, barbed / venom walker tyrant, 2x dakkafex and 2x sniperfex? with genestealers? because he's choices might let you get some use out of Skarbrand if you're both going assaulty high I... just something to consider

Scary Lobster
12-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Heres the brother giving an approximate list.

The 2 HQs will be the standard Dakka Flyrant and Walking Sniper Tyrant

Three heavys consisting of 2 Sniper fexes and a yet undecided 3rd Fex. I kind of want to run a godfex just because of how fun it would be but due to only 1250 per side may just end up bringing a screamer killer or boomfex.

This leaves me with under 500 points to screw around with troops. If I have the points i'm thinking of bringing 3 squads of 8 genestealers ungraded with only tendrils and if points allow a squad of WoN gaunts.

The holidays have been really busy so I havent had the chance to play around with point totals to figure out exactly what will be coming but thats the general idea of it. I have to ask the store owner if the game total counts as 2500 or 1250 for purposes of army building... If it counts as 2500 I may end up bringing more fexes at the expense of stealers. It would be just too funny seeing 7-8 montrous creatures on my side and 3 soul grinders a thirster and a keeper of secrets on the daemon side. Who the hell knows if it will be competitive, it sure as hell will be fun.

eagleboy7259
12-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Alrighty so I hit the nail more or less on the head? Man if only you had a bit more points and could take fateweaver - so many possibilites with monsters running 'round. I'm going to second what Chumbalyla said before: 'nids aren't exactly survivable as troops, so you can either use bloodletters and try to table everybody or take some plaguebearers. I'd say fiends and seekers would have a better snyergy with tyranids than Bloodcrushers, and ideally 1 Bloodcrusher should have rend in the horrible event that you get caught up by a dread or any other walke.

SlavesToDarkness
12-28-2009, 12:37 PM
What are you doing?!?

Vs. Nidzilla the answer is Nurgle! Lots of Nurgle Daemon Princes and Great Unclean ones. Noxious touch will DESTROY monstrous creatures.

Scary Lobster
01-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Thanks for all the comments and criticisms! The tournament was yesterday and we went into the final round in first place with a total of 15/16 points and just under 4k vp for tiebreakers. Unfortunately there was a family emergency and we had to pull out before we were even able to take our first turn in round 3. Great turnout for the tournament with 16 teams and 32 individual players. Wish we could have played it out and took the whole thing down but thems the breaks. Again thanks to all that posted ideas in the thread. Now to go paint some pink tau while I wait for my new nid dex!