PDA

View Full Version : Tyranids section on GW website - a new approach?

Mr Mystery
01-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Evening all.

Just followed Daboarders info about the codex organisation and had a look at the Nid section.

And I've spotted something unusual...

Termagants, Hormagaunts and Carnifex have all been reboxed to include more models.

Yet on the website, their previous boxings are still available, which makes the new boxes multi buy savings. After a fashion!

So what do we reckon? Are the old boxings just a stock clearance affair, to be removed when they've sold through, or the first of a new approach?

David Crossley
01-04-2014, 02:51 PM
Evening all.

Just followed Daboarders info about the codex organisation and had a look at the Nid section.

And I've spotted something unusual...

Termagants, Hormagaunts and Carnifex have all been reboxed to include more models.

Yet on the website, their previous boxings are still available, which makes the new boxes multi buy savings. After a fashion!

So what do we reckon? Are the old boxings just a stock clearance affair, to be removed when they've sold through, or the first of a new approach?

The Carnifex's have been re-boxed, since there's clearly a picture of the New Box in their section, but I wouldn't be too sure about the Termagant and Hormaguant 'Brood' packs, those two might well be a temporary deal for the duration of the new release much like the Eldar Vyper/War Walker/Support Weapon triple packs were.

Mr Mystery
01-04-2014, 02:55 PM
Checking WD, the 20 strong broods are web only, but not the Carnifex Brood.

Arguably, plot thickens. Could be that GW are looking at offering Web Only savings to offset discount web stores advantage.

Whilst they make a healthy profit from any 3rd party sale, regardless of the discount offered (sale price does not reduce wholesale price), selling direct from their own web store is likely more profitable still.

daboarder
01-04-2014, 03:11 PM
plot thickens further, you can still buy individual carnifexs....

as to your point mystery I'd find that hilarious.

After years of strangling online sales and enforced regioning through the use of terms and conditions, GW finally decides the best way to compete with online discount sellers is to offer their own.........:rolleyes:

Mr Mystery
01-04-2014, 03:15 PM
Already noted :p

The wording for the Gaunt Brood specifically mentions the value of it....

And with the Massive Swarm O'Stuff box....

One wonders if this might be an effort to make Horde armies less cash intensive? Or indeed a way to offer a lower start up cost for each army.

daboarder
01-04-2014, 03:19 PM
I'll be honest, all my experience with GW over the years has taught me to just take what we get, wooo a nice cheap way to get into nids, but I wouldn't bet on getting the same thing for the next release.

Mr Mystery
01-04-2014, 03:22 PM
It is likely just an experiment, but you never know!

Anything which makes getting into a new army, especially one with a high model count easier gets my vote!

Quite tempted to go get my gribble on again!

daboarder
01-04-2014, 03:25 PM
its would be good for say IG, Nids, or Orks

Mr Mystery
01-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Indeed.

I could see Orks getting a 40 Boyz, 20 Grots and a Deff Dredd box.

IG? 40 Guardsman, Command Squad and Heavy Squad.

That sort of thing. Provide a decent core at a cheaper price but at a volume where most would only need a couple at most.

daboarder
01-04-2014, 03:42 PM
hmm I'd expect a Leman russ over a HW squad, like the carnifex its an iconic part of the IG.

Mr Mystery
01-04-2014, 03:50 PM
True that! And around the same price.