PDA

View Full Version : Possible second space marine codex candidate?

Murphius Stevus
12-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Hi guys,

Having just been over to 40K Neophyte's blog and reading his article on the up coming DOW2 Chaos Rising game (http://40kneophyte.blogspot.com/2009/12/dawn-of-war-ii-chaos-rising-update-i.html), it got me thinking.

With the initial rumours surrounding Blood Angels and more to the bit that followed "BA are only half the story". There are certain things that point towards a Blood Raven codex. If the Chaos Rising story line reveals the BR's origins then it would be the perfect opportunity for GW to release a BR codex. Futher more the BR's main base is on a Battlebarge.

It would be quite a good twist on the "Blood angels are only half the story" as in Blood Angels/Ravens.

What do you think? Late night madness and wishful thinking on my end or is there some real possibility for a BR codex?

murrburger
12-15-2009, 04:26 PM
I'd say Black Templars or (I hope) Dark Angels are more likely, simply because they need new books. The Blood Ravens are basically a codex chapter, so I don't think they need a book.

It doesn't help that I don't like the Blood Ravens, either. Their fluff is bland and predictable. They were okay in the first DOW, then things got progressively worse until they have a guy named Gabriel Angelos (really?) shouting about Deep Striking. I know GW has done worse... but, damn.

Saying that, DOW2 made things a little better for them.

Scoota
12-15-2009, 04:55 PM
I doubted that Blood Ravens would get a codex, until I looked at the 2010 release schedule and looked at the rumors of the 3rd quarter 40K codex release:

Fall: 40K mystery codex: ~hints regarding it are:
-"Blood Angels are only half of the story"
-"fleet based marines"
-"very nice stuff winging its way in our direction"

I don't know if this is just reading into the GW play on words too much.
Personally I'd rather see more Xenos get codex updates.

Jokubas
12-15-2009, 04:57 PM
I thought about this before, but seeing as I'm still relatively "new" to the whole Warhammer scene, I wasn't sure of the likelihood. It seems to fit from what I understand, especially since some of the bigger names have apparently already been shot down, but it would be quite controversial I think.

Melissia
12-15-2009, 04:58 PM
You know, because we obviously need yet another Marine codex so soon after getting three practically in a row.

Rapture
12-15-2009, 05:05 PM
That is an interesting idea. However, I can't see them making another marine codex when they already have Black Templars, Blood Angels, Ultramarines, Dark Angels, and Space Wolves. Another might cause a little more dilution than is necessary.

DarkLink
12-15-2009, 06:12 PM
I'd say Black Templars or (I hope) Dark Angels are more likely, simply because they need new books. The Blood Ravens are basically a codex chapter, so I don't think they need a book.

Dark Angels got shot down almost immediately after the original rumor was posted. Went kinda like this:

[Rumor Poster] "blah, blah, blah... Blood angels are only half the story..."

a few posts later: "Hey, what if it's another Angels of Death codex?"

[Rumor Poster] "Nope, it's not Dark Angels."

Anyways, I'd put my money on Templars, at least until more rumors come out. They're completely fleet based, and are an old codex.

Subject Keyword
12-15-2009, 07:21 PM
You know, because we obviously need yet another Marine codex so soon after getting three practically in a row.

Amen.

I guess a Salamanders Codex would be out of the question... :(
If it has to be Marines, it should be midnight-black pyromaniacs.

HsojVvad
12-15-2009, 07:46 PM
I don't think it will be BR because, GW said there will be no new races, chapters, or what ever untill all other races have been updated. Yeah I know it's not much, but we have to go by that, other wise, any time anyone said, GW said this, it is irrelivent because they lie all the time.

So no BR for now. DA were shot down, so that leaves BT or maybe some chaos SM. (but are they considered SM and not a different race?)

Then again, somone asked a GW member, (darn I wish I could remeber names and events) at a GD about BT, and the GW memeber said he will be weeping or crying about them for some time to come. Does this mean that they won't be released for a long while, or he dosn't like the direction of the new BT codex? Hmmm something to ponder about eh?

Lord Anubis
12-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Fall: 40K mystery codex: ~hints regarding it are:
-"Blood Angels are only half of the story"

Thank God!! The Flesh Tearers are finally getting their own Codex!!!

;)

Brass Scorpion
12-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Definitely no new armies, so nix the Blood Ravens idea. GW can hardly keep up with updating existing Codex books for existing "chapters of renown" and other armies. Templars is much more likely.

DarkLink
12-15-2009, 08:45 PM
I don't think it will be BR because, GW said there will be no new races, chapters, or what ever untill all other races have been updated. Yeah I know it's not much, but we have to go by that, other wise, any time anyone said, GW said this, it is irrelivent because they lie all the time.

So no BR for now. DA were shot down, so that leaves BT or maybe some chaos SM. (but are they considered SM and not a different race?)

Then again, somone asked a GW member, (darn I wish I could remeber names and events) at a GD about BT, and the GW memeber said he will be weeping or crying about them for some time to come. Does this mean that they won't be released for a long while, or he dosn't like the direction of the new BT codex? Hmmm something to ponder about eh?

I agree. I doubt there will be a new army for a while. Which limits the candidates for a new codex down a lot. It's Marines, which leaves Vanilla, BA, BT, DA, SW and Grey Knights. Vanilla, SW and BA will have/do have updated codices by this time, leaving DA, BT and Grey Knights. Dark Angels have been shot down, and Grey Knights are still a ways off, and mentioned in entirely separate rumors, so I doubt it would be them. That leaves Black Templar as the most likely option, I think. Of course, until more solid rumors come out we can't really say anything more.

RocketRollRebel
12-15-2009, 09:24 PM
GW would be kinda stupid to invest creating a whole new stand alone marine army. I wonder if they could go back in time they would have made them all as one codex... But that aside, going on the whole "fleet based marines" thing I'd say BT for sure since they are... fleet based marines!:p They don't need an update per se but I can see the logic behind it. They are already fairly popular and wouldn't require much effort or capital to update them with a few new minis and a codex.

Murphius Stevus
12-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Were the Dark Angels really shot down or more the Angels of Death codex? I mean GW did bring out the Fortress of Redemption after all..?

I guess it's now relatively easy to say that the BRs wont be having a codex however this far out from the end of 2010 (not even at the end of 2009 yet!) that things still have time to be put into action and even enough time for GW to rethink any possible plans put forward for the end of next year.

Melissia
12-16-2009, 12:26 PM
If they rethink anything, they need to rethink putting out ANOTHER marine codex so soon after doing three, not which one to put out. Put out a xenos codex, or better yet Sisters or Grey Knights.

Renegade
12-16-2009, 12:39 PM
If they rethink anything, they need to rethink putting out ANOTHER marine codex so soon after doing three, not which one to put out. Put out a xenos codex, or better yet Sisters or Grey Knights.

No doubt there will be one before the next marine codex, it just that it is likely that a marine codex is maybe due out next year other than BA.

Imho, the =][= miniatures need a bit of a make over and made plastic. Hopefully they will get minis crafted with the care that seems do be delaying DE, who better look exceptional or the fan base may torch GW HQ.:D

Melissia
12-16-2009, 12:42 PM
To be honest I'd be fine iwth the same quality that went into the more recent plastics. GW's plastics have improved in quality over the past few years.

Marshal2Crusaders
12-16-2009, 01:08 PM
They did put out a Xenos codex. Tyranids. Now we can get back to the true 40K armies, Space Marines.

If it really is Black Templars I'll eat a brick. I doubt we'll get a new upgrade sprue though....

I wonder what they could do besides just update our rules, we dont have many divergent unit types with different weapons options...

Melissia
12-16-2009, 01:25 PM
They did put out a Xenos codex. Tyranids. Now we can get back to the true 40K armies, Sisters of Battle.

Right you are!

Marshal2Crusaders
12-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Whoa I gotta cut back on all that meth, I coulda sworn I
said space marines :-P

Prodigalson
12-16-2009, 01:56 PM
I'll be very surprised if we see Blood Angels then immediately Black Templars.

Also I think that we are reading a bit much into all this 'half the story' and 'winging it's way to us' stuff.

Blood Angels being half the story may have been talking about the missions book coming out, or anything else for that matter. I bet we get Black Templars for X-mas next year (at or around this time). I think we will see Blood Angels/Xenos/Black Templars.

I wouldn't be surprised for a xenos race that needs a bit easier update. Tau come to mind, as do Eldar, although Eldar have a newer codex and generally are a big Ork sized release. Tau can have a smaller release and the codex and model range doesn't need to be re-built from the ground up (*cough* Dark Eldar *cought*) or need about umpteenmillion new choices (Necrons). They could do a hazard suit and perhaps convert the baracuda over to a fast attack skimmer and call it a day for tau.

I would love to see some Bolter... Girls and Grey Knight plastics. I still have mine, but I just think that they are pretty far out at the moment. I just don't think the Inquisition stuff is a high priority at this stage of 5th edition.

Brass Scorpion
12-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Also I think that we are reading a bit much into all this 'half the story' and 'winging it's way to us' stuff.
Oh, I don't know. Perhaps if we click our heels three times and keep repeating, "there's nothing like a plastic Thunderhawk" one will magically appear for release next year.

But seriously, you may be correct about people putting too much on those obscure marketing blurbs. Those hints are vague enough that they could apply to a lot of things that are plausible, some more so than others, so it is probably best not to get our exercise jumping to conclusions.

Melissia
12-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Whoa I gotta cut back on all that meth, I coulda sworn I
said space marines :-PNaw, that was just a clever hypnotism trick I picked up during my travels with the Inquisition.

HsojVvad
12-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Well according to Harry, the other half of the story is a SM codex, no suppliment like Battlemissions, (or what ever it's called) or mini releases but a SM codex. As the above poster has said, it will be Tyranids, BA, Xeno, SM chapter. But I am not shure if we will see 4 codex next year, but you never know.

Someone said that when they would weep for BT, someobdy else asked about DA. Now I can be confusing 2 stories together now, but it was said DA would be weaping as well.

It makes no sense on how to look at this. If we go by SM, non SM release, SM, non SM release, that would mean, in 2010, its Xeno, Tyranid release, SM BA release, Xeno, my guess is Tau or Eldar, Then it would have to be BT or DA, since GW said there would be no new codex that havn't been released before.

There will be no Inquisitor releases soon either, so what could be the SM release? From rumours from a few months ago of BT being worked on, that is my bet for now that BT is the other half of the story.

Ah only if Harry could give a few more witty comments for us to examin on lol :)

DarkLink
12-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Well according to Harry, the other half of the story is a SM codex, no suppliment like Battlemissions, (or what ever it's called) or mini releases but a SM codex. As the above poster has said, it will be Tyranids, BA, Xeno, SM chapter. But I am not shure if we will see 4 codex next year, but you never know.

Someone said that when they would weep for BT, someobdy else asked about DA. Now I can be confusing 2 stories together now, but it was said DA would be weaping as well.

It makes no sense on how to look at this. If we go by SM, non SM release, SM, non SM release, that would mean, in 2010, its Xeno, Tyranid release, SM BA release, Xeno, my guess is Tau or Eldar, Then it would have to be BT or DA, since GW said there would be no new codex that havn't been released before.

There will be no Inquisitor releases soon either, so what could be the SM release? From rumours from a few months ago of BT being worked on, that is my bet for now that BT is the other half of the story.

Ah only if Harry could give a few more witty comments for us to examin on lol :)

DA as the other codex was shot down by the guy who posted the rumor. On the other hand, someone did mention that they talked to a GW store owner or something like that, and that person said "BT will be weeping". Whether or not a store owner actually knows anything about the release schedule, however...

Ultimately, we just have to wait and see. We don't have anything more than a vague rumor or two to go off of, anyways.

Renegade
12-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Isnt that the thing about rumours, its all rumours and hearsay.

I agree, that we could do with more information, though I am not going to put that many eggs in a mod on some forum.

DarkLink
12-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Isnt that the thing about rumours, its all rumours and hearsay.

I agree, that we could do with more information, though I am not going to put that many eggs in a mod on some forum.

Some of these sources of rumors are pretty reliable, at least about what GW is currently planning on doing. What GW plans might change, though. They might run into delays, or change plans.

For example, GW has supposedly started work on first a Grey Knight Codex, then shortly after a Sisters of Battle Codex. Supposedly in that order, to be released sometime in 2011 or possibly 2012. Also note that it is apparently a Sisters and Grey Knight Codex, not a DH/WH codex.

However, it is possible that GW might run into production problems, or decide on a paradigm shift and combine to two codecies, or squat them or any one of a vast number of things. It isn't what they are currently planning on doing right now, and some of the possibilities are pretty far out there, so we shouldn't expect it to happen, but the theoretical possibility is there. We just have to wait and see what happens. We're basically in the dark about anything beyond the next few months.

Atrotos
12-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Also note that it is apparently a Sisters and Grey Knight Codex, not a DH/WH codex.

What makes you say this?

Melissia
12-16-2009, 07:48 PM
Because that's wha the rumors have said. Also that's what Jervis Johnson has said as well. The Inquisition might not be removed, but the books are focusing (or in the Sisters case, focusing even more) on the armies rather than the political organization which they occasionally fight under.

Lerra
12-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Brass Scorpion brings up a good point. Was it ever confirmed that this mystery "other half of the story" is a codex release? It could easily be an upgrade sprue for one of the marine chapters, or perhaps a new model (such as the thunderhawk). I'd be much happier to see a Raven Guard/Blood Raven upgrade sprue than a whole new codex.

Renegade
12-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Brass Scorpion brings up a good point. Was it ever confirmed that this mystery "other half of the story" is a codex release? It could easily be an upgrade sprue for one of the marine chapters, or perhaps a new model (such as the thunderhawk). I'd be much happier to see a Raven Guard/Blood Raven upgrade sprue than a whole new codex.

Yeah, if you follow the "rumours" its a Codex. Though that rumour was confirmed by Brimstone, who seems to get about more, so I would put more trust in them than something from "The Pieman" Harry, who is a mod that I see only in one place.

Still, more will probably become apparent next year, after the bugz have come out.

Duke
12-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Im going to put my money on "the other half," being a Thunderhawk in plastic...

I mean seriously, they have done a stompa and half a dozen other major plastic models, you know the Thunderhawk is just around the corner. If not then I bet on the Warhound! lol

Duke

Marshal2Crusaders
12-17-2009, 01:08 PM
It could just mean the ' Wave 9' that comes with battle missions...

Still hope its Templars. With New Characters. And Vehicles. And Guns. And Ponies.

Asymmetrical Xeno
12-17-2009, 01:30 PM
funny, I just assumed myself that the legion of the damned stuff was the "other half of the story", what with them getting a release just for themselves and a rumoured second wave a little later on....

HsojVvad
12-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Im going to put my money on "the other half," being a Thunderhawk in plastic...

I mean seriously, they have done a stompa and half a dozen other major plastic models, you know the Thunderhawk is just around the corner. If not then I bet on the Warhound! lol

Duke

Well Harry did say that it's not a model or anything like that but a SM codex.

Hmm deja vu, I think I already said this, I must be loosing my mind lol. :eek:

MarshalAdamar
12-17-2009, 05:08 PM
They did put out a Xenos codex. Tyranids. Now we can get back to the true 40K armies, Space Marines.

If it really is Black Templars I'll eat a brick. I doubt we'll get a new upgrade sprue though....

I wonder what they could do besides just update our rules, we don’t have many divergent unit types with different weapons options...

OH wishing the wish!

They need to give the BT the dreadnought that has mocked us from the pages of our own codex for OH these many years!

A freaking dread with two CC weapons! That would be a start!

Other than that just line up the BT codex more of less with the Vanilla codex and the wolves’ codex.

Templars should be similar to grey hunters I think, we could finally have frag and krak grenades with out spending freakin 19 points a model!

I could go on but I digress.

I think the BT should get some tweaking to bring them in line with the other codices that are coming out.

Renegade
12-18-2009, 04:43 PM
It could just mean the ' Wave 9' that comes with battle missions...

Still hope its Templars. With New Characters. And Vehicles. And Guns. And Ponies.

If the BT get ponies, or any other cavalry unit that is not a bike, or motorised transport, I will make every effort to see that you eat the new codex without condiments. Thats nothing however that I would dream of doing to the codex writer. :rolleyes:

Still, a new 'dex in 2010 would be cool. Isnt it already written though, or close to? I am sure I read some rumour about that...:confused:

DarkLink
12-18-2009, 07:47 PM
If it is a new codex, it is probably BTs. If not, then there are any number of things it could be.

And if it is BT, then the codex is probably close to being finished. The process of printing a book is a very, very long one. It takes months and months just to print the finished version. It takes months to edit little detail and get the format of the book all set up and ready to go. And that all has to be done after the army list itself is finished. Plus they have to have some downtime between the printing and the release, in order to give themselves some breathing room, get out advanced copies and handle shipping and logistics. So I'd bet they're at least in the playtesting stages.

If it is a codex, anyways. Caveats apply.

mysterex
12-23-2009, 03:03 AM
Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, Grey Knights are space marines and after the Blood Angels and Dark Eldar, they must have oldest codex. So how about them as the space marine release.

Yeah, I know, they're not fleet based and their release is mostly wishful thinking.

Brother Tibirius
12-23-2009, 07:15 AM
It will probly be BT because there the only SPM dex left from 3rd ed not redone, what i would like for a BA codex for 6th ed is a Vermillion Codex : BA codex and all succesor chapters ,with specials characters for all ... Dont get me wrong in really glad to see a new one coming ... its gonna be a blast

Alvena
12-23-2009, 08:23 AM
my 2 pence is: iron hands / adeptus mecanicus

HsojVvad
12-23-2009, 08:52 AM
It will probly be BT because there the only SPM dex left from 3rd ed not redone, what i would like for a BA codex for 6th ed is a Vermillion Codex : BA codex and all succesor chapters ,with specials characters for all ... Dont get me wrong in really glad to see a new one coming ... its gonna be a blast

Not shure what you ment. BT have been redone in 4th edtion.

my 2 pence is: iron hands / adeptus mecanicus

Remember GW have said that they will not do anything new untill all other codex have been updated. That means new races, or SM chapters. Have Iron Hands been done before?

MarshalAdamar
12-23-2009, 09:45 AM

Ooohhh Ponies’! Can we have ponies WITH guns? Thunder pony cavalry?!

But seriously what new vehicles could they have for the Templars?

I think we just need a rules buff and a few new sculpts and we're right as rain.