PDA

View Full Version : Can priests work?

RocketRollRebel
12-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Mkerrs latest article on "Forgotten Heroes" has inspired me to dust off and re-paint my Uriah Jacobus mini (it was one of my first and leaves a bit to be desired;)). Anyway this got me wondering, is there a way to use priests competitively with IG? I know people like using them with super Straken squads but are there any other uses for these guys? Infantry blob perhaps? or do they work well with any sort of allies? What do you equip them with? Shot gun of course but do you go for the Eviscerator as well?

Whats your experience with and thoughts on making these guys work?

Atrotos
12-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Eviscerator is a must have. The Priest has 2 attacks on his profile and the eviscerator is a great way to take advantage of that. It's also great against vehicles because he get 3 attacks on the charge and allows him to contribute to combat which forces your opponent to deal with him even after the first round of CC.

Throw him in with Straken for best results. Add a grand master to the squad and laugh as Monstrous creatures run from you.

RocketRollRebel
12-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Eviscerator is a must have. The Priest has 2 attacks on his profile and the eviscerator is a great way to take advantage of that. It's also great against vehicles because he get 3 attacks on the charge and allows him to contribute to combat which forces your opponent to deal with him even after the first round of CC.

Throw him in with Straken for best results. Add a grand master to the squad and laugh as Monstrous creatures run from you.

Oh that poor Nurgle demon prince. He didn't even have a chance haha. That was the first time I got to see Straken in action actually haha. But I'm looking to fit a priest into something like a 1,500pt GT list maybe and I have a feeling that Straken and friends might just be too much at that point level if you want to play competitively ( I am down for trying it tho if you guys think Straken and pals can help at that pt level).

Mobious
12-15-2009, 11:48 PM
I don't have much experience with Priests, but here is a concept from Y.T.T.H:

Inquisitor, Holy Relic, Tarot, Null Rod, Bolt Pistol.
Palatine, Book, Bolter, Frag and Melta Bombs.

Inquisitorial Stormtroopers x5 w/2 MG
Inquisitorial Stormtroopers x5 w/2 MG
Retributor Squad x5 w/4 HB
Mounted in Immolator x2 w/HF and EA
Platoon Command Squad w/4 Meltaguns, Chimera w/HF, ML, and EA
5xHW Teams w/3 AC each

The Blob:

5 Imperial Guard Infantry Squads (mass combine), all with Krak Grenades.
5 Squad Sarge upgraded w/Power Weapons
1 Commissar w/Power Weapon
5 Witch Hunter Priests w/Eviscerators

Attach Palatine and Inquisitor to rear of unit.

Here is the link is you want to here the thinking behind it.
http://www.****************.com/2009/12/critical-mass-your-face-your-***-whats.html

Why is it that Y.T.T.H can't be written on here?

Chumbalaya
12-16-2009, 06:36 AM
Why is it that Y.T.T.H can't be written on here?

Long story mate. Suffice to say, some people don't appreciate He Who Shall Not Be Named's style and e-peens got damaged, it was horrible.

IG Priests are kinda meh thanks to them being ICs, so they tend to work better if you stick them at the rear of the unit and get the benefits of re-rolls. Priests from Codex: WH end up better since they can't be picked out.

RocketRollRebel
12-16-2009, 07:57 AM
That infantry blob does look kinda scary. I would be down for using a WH priest if that would work better but I am using Codex:IG for my main force.

How about something like Penal Legion? Yeah they kinda are the suck but its an idea. Also would they lose their scout ability if the priest joins them?

It looks like Priests do best with Straken squads and infantry blobs tho.

Melissia
12-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Just remember that you cannot ally in more than one Elites unit from C:WH if you play a C:IG army. So you can get a C:WH priest, maybe he's a different kind of priest (the stats are different...) than the C:IG ones?

The C:WH one has two wounds, two attacks, 8 leadership, 4 initiative, no armor save, but is otherwise GEQ. Yes, the C:WH one has to purchase his/her rosarius, but he/she CAN have power armor.

The c:IG one has two attacks and a 4++ save, but is otherwise GEQ.

Mobious
12-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Well wow thats just terrible. Its one thing to block a user, and a whole other thing to block anything that has any affiliation with him. What's funny is I find Voldemort's (Lol) personality amusing, but then again I am an insensitive jerk.

Anyway, I could see the Priest making a nasty combo with Straken. But then again what isn't a nasty combo with Straken?