PDA

View Full Version : New WD Weekly and Warhammer Visions info and pricing

ACE01
01-11-2014, 01:55 PM
Plenty of rumour and whispers about, but here's the info on the new publications:

White Dwarf as we know it today is no more.

Jan 2014 (Tyranids) was the last edition. 2 New publications are to replace the mag, as follows:

White Dwarf Weekly:

Priced at £2.50 (or £2.75?), this will be a weekly publication which will contain new release info and pictures, battle reports, gaming articles and Jervis (& possibly Vetock). A small volume (~1/3 the size of current WD) intended more for the 'gaming' crowd.

Warhammer: Visions

The new monthly mag now priced at £7.50 and for your extra £2 gets a ~100 page bump to 252 pages. Current WD subscribers will get mail containing info on their subscription and how it will be affected (a legal requirement for those paying by DD in the UK). Visions caters for the 'hobby' crowd, and will focus on collecting, painting (paint splatter) and conversions (kit bash), and will include Blanchitsu, Armies on Parade/Golden Daemon (Parade Ground) & Design Studio (This month in x) updates.

Commentary:

I'm indifferent about this update and change to my main monthly hobby mag, an extra 66% page count increase for a 36% cost increase doesn't seem too bad, assuming the content is worthwhile rather than filler. For me (and many people), the highlights of WD we're the insights and inspiration coming from columns like Blanchitsu and from the Design Studio, so the appeal of the new Warhammer Visions remains, and I think the new title is suitable.

On the subject of WD Weekly, I can see why people are struggling with it a little more, though I'm keeping an open mind. An extra ~£10 per month for access to gaming articles (and new release ads) is difficult to justify, as personally I don't think the current WD style, tone and level of report has really found a target audience that would buy them outright. As a very simple, brief report with a heavy bias towards the new release of the month as they currently are in WD, a mag of battle reports and 'ads' doesn't sound appealing, particularly as many already think that the current WD is too focussed on advertising.

The potential of the weekly, however, is exciting. WDW could provide Datasheets, Battlescrolls, altars of war etc as physical counterparts to the digital releases providing those who don't own/want the required tech to get access. Coverage of long lost topics from the past could resurface, articles on campaigns, scenarios, and even tactics would bring something missing back to the current white dwarf.

A bit more extreme, perhaps, but GW could also decide to use the mag as an opportunity to completely alter the way they handle release windows, to allow models to be released at a whim, more in line with how projects are handled at the design studio. Allowing the flavour of the month to occupy, for example the first three weeks of a month would leave one or two slots for additional kits or collections for another army or game. This style of release could even allow for more rapid response to purchasing trends, allowing GW to take advantage of sales popularity on particular SKU's, or provide content top boost others, helping them flatten their revenue model. Mid-term changes to - or updates for - armies are something I think the whole gaming community would welcome.

Right now, I'm interested to see what direction the pair of publications take...

ACE01

One irk I do have: As a long time subscriber, I really wish they'd stop changing spines etc in the middle of the year! After not finishing the Azrael spines, could they not have done this for January to give us 2013 = WD, and 2014 = WV?

kwelz
01-11-2014, 04:09 PM
So my question is this. If I am a subscriber and don't care for this change am I able to cancel or am I stuck receiving the new magazine..

Gingerpanda
01-11-2014, 04:16 PM
From where I stand in this hobby some of what I like about WD is in the weekly and the rest is in Monthly mag. Not sure I want to spend an extra £12 (£10 for the weekly and the £2 bump on the monthly) I will how ever judge this over the first issue and month, after that I think as there is no WD any more this could finally be the excuse I needed to stop buying WD (or in this case the new versions)

Nosebiter
01-11-2014, 04:22 PM
I seriously doubt that this will see any improvement in content.

There will be no rules related content, fluff stuff or other things they can sell to us in digital form on the side.

It will just be more of the same.

Wilfen82
01-11-2014, 04:45 PM
I'm just not impressed with the idea tbh, I'd been collecting WD for 20yrs when I finally stopped buying it with the last change when CSM were released. We saw a price hike for a nominal page increase that was more of the same advertising. An now there's two "mags" for a total of £17.50 per month reportedly doing exactly what WD was "doing" for £5.50. We've seen page increases before, we've had extras (datasheets, variant stats, campaigns, miniatures etc) and each time its fallen by the way side. When the weekly advert mag doesn't sell it'll go bi-weekly and those ads will creep back in because that's a better, regular, captive audience.

I just have a distinct feeling this is a case of "Hey everyone, look at the Emperors new clothes!", but remember kiddies the Emperor is stuck on a golden throne, he doesn't have new clothes!

40k_slimez
01-11-2014, 04:51 PM
So its another cash grab by GW then....

I can't see it for anything else.. I really can't.

ACE01
01-11-2014, 05:13 PM
It's certainly a move to get more from us, don't think anyone can argue otherwise, but I'm certainly going to wait before swinging the executioner's axe.

@kwelz if you're a uk direct debit subscriber, GW have to notify you of a price increase and you can choose to refuse.

tyrela
01-11-2014, 05:32 PM
Seems like it is also an attempt to stop the monthly WD leaks.

gcsmith
01-11-2014, 05:34 PM
Plenty of rumour and whispers about, but here's the info on the new publications:

White Dwarf as we know it today is no more.

Jan 2014 (Tyranids) was the last edition. 2 New publications are to replace the mag, as follows:

White Dwarf Weekly:

Priced at £2.50 (or £2.75?), this will be a weekly publication which will contain new release info and pictures, battle reports, gaming articles and Jervis (& possibly Vetock). A small volume (~1/3 the size of current WD) intended more for the 'gaming' crowd.

Warhammer: Visions

The new monthly mag now priced at £7.50 and for your extra £2 gets a ~100 page bump to 252 pages. Current WD subscribers will get mail containing info on their subscription and how it will be affected (a legal requirement for those paying by DD in the UK). Visions caters for the 'hobby' crowd, and will focus on collecting, painting (paint splatter) and conversions (kit bash), and will include Blanchitsu, Armies on Parade/Golden Daemon (Parade Ground) & Design Studio (This month in x) updates.

Commentary:

I'm indifferent about this update and change to my main monthly hobby mag, an extra 66% page count increase for a 36% cost increase doesn't seem too bad, assuming the content is worthwhile rather than filler. For me (and many people), the highlights of WD we're the insights and inspiration coming from columns like Blanchitsu and from the Design Studio, so the appeal of the new Warhammer Visions remains, and I think the new title is suitable.

On the subject of WD Weekly, I can see why people are struggling with it a little more, though I'm keeping an open mind. An extra ~£10 per month for access to gaming articles (and new release ads) is difficult to justify, as personally I don't think the current WD style, tone and level of report has really found a target audience that would buy them outright. As a very simple, brief report with a heavy bias towards the new release of the month as they currently are in WD, a mag of battle reports and 'ads' doesn't sound appealing, particularly as many already think that the current WD is too focussed on advertising.

The potential of the weekly, however, is exciting. WDW could provide Datasheets, Battlescrolls, altars of war etc as physical counterparts to the digital releases providing those who don't own/want the required tech to get access. Coverage of long lost topics from the past could resurface, articles on campaigns, scenarios, and even tactics would bring something missing back to the current white dwarf.

A bit more extreme, perhaps, but GW could also decide to use the mag as an opportunity to completely alter the way they handle release windows, to allow models to be released at a whim, more in line with how projects are handled at the design studio. Allowing the flavour of the month to occupy, for example the first three weeks of a month would leave one or two slots for additional kits or collections for another army or game. This style of release could even allow for more rapid response to purchasing trends, allowing GW to take advantage of sales popularity on particular SKU's, or provide content top boost others, helping them flatten their revenue model. Mid-term changes to - or updates for - armies are something I think the whole gaming community would welcome.

Right now, I'm interested to see what direction the pair of publications take...

ACE01

One irk I do have: As a long time subscriber, I really wish they'd stop changing spines etc in the middle of the year! After not finishing the Azrael spines, could they not have done this for January to give us 2013 = WD, and 2014 = WV?

what about people with the paper subscription, where you use the tokens?

eldargal
01-11-2014, 11:33 PM
By replacing them with weekly leaks?

If Warhammer visions has actual proper hobby content like terrain building and conversion articles as well as more in depth painting guides and such it could be really good. Hope GW are up to it.

Vogon
01-12-2014, 02:20 AM
Where has this been announced? I don't see anything on the GW website at the moment and as a subscriber my self I'd expect to be notified well in advance of it happening.

Cheers

Vogon

ACE01
01-12-2014, 03:52 AM
Your local gw has most of the info, and a proper announcement can be expected after Wednesday.

As I mentioned current subscribers can expect notification prior to the new mag.

Bork
01-12-2014, 03:56 AM
im very dubious of this change. i'd be very surprised if its any more than a re-hash of the same old style in different formats with a new price. GW stopped caring long ago what the hobbyists wanted to see. what they give us in white dwarf is all designed in a way to sell product. every battle report is contrived and highly biased towards new releases, every painting article towards new releases etc. very little actual useful content that isn' blatantly included as another form of advert.

bottom line is this. you can get everything white dwarf offers you for free online by true hobbyists who post it up on youtube or blogs etc for free. if i want battle reports i'll go to a dozen channels who put well made videos out fairly often and see battles with actual army lists designed to win, not sell you riptides or wraithknights, where the outcome isn't going to be decided by which codex just got released. if i wanted painting tips there is a plethora available online by people just as good as eavy metal team offering you advice based on a whole range of products not just GW's which aren't the best.
i'd much rather support those channels who do it for the love of it than support GW's overpriced magazine that offers me nothing whatsoever.

im very interested to see if this is true and if so what each issue will actually offer. im not optimistic to be honest.

abadon58
01-12-2014, 04:09 AM
I am interested as after nearly 20 years of WH I stopped in Nov 2013 then decided to renew in Dec and Jan with the Nids was the first. If I paid for a year will I get a year of the new more expensive mag or will they come asking for more money. They knew the change when I renewed 5-6 weeks ago as the new mag would already have been written for the printers. I am also with the original post why not change with the new year and end the WD in Dec.

ACE01
01-12-2014, 04:09 AM
Most of what you're saying regarding the talent of the internet is certainly true, I'm sure many of us use the various hobby sites to supplement our hobby knowledge.

Yet not everyone has access to the internet 24/7 and some hobbyists like warhammer/40k as it is primarily a physical hobby, an escape from the digital world. For many, a mag is something that's easy to consume on a commute or break, and ultimately, a man is something which GW feel is still relevant to its customer base.

Yes we're going to see slanted reports and ads on upcoming releases, but they are the way the majority of hobbyist get pre-release info, we forum crawlers must remember we are a minority.

jonsgot
01-12-2014, 05:05 AM

I think you are on to something there.
It's possible the weekly mag will pick up the expansions that hav'nt been selling well enought.
Will anyone pick up both the weekly and monthly mag. I can see myself chopping between the two depending on content, I.d love to know what a subscription will get you now it appears it's the same price for the monthly mag, but the weekly mag is separate.

jonsgot
01-12-2014, 05:08 AM
Where has this been announced? I don't see anything on the GW website at the moment and as a subscriber my self I'd expect to be notified well in advance of it happening.

Cheers

Vogon
iBooks now sells warhammer visions subscriptions as an in app white dwarf purchase. Therefore every thing else must be true :)

Flame of Udun
01-12-2014, 07:48 AM
This is stupid. The more I read of this the more I see GW just trying to find ways to see you their granny. I was optimisitc when WD last got a revamp but it went down hill so fast I haven't bought a WD for roughly a year now. I don't see why they need both a weekly catalogue and a monthly "hobby" zine when WD should have been the true "Hobby" magazine it once was. If they need a catalogue pamphlet I don't see why they can't churn out a freebie like they used to have in store years ago. Frankly I've had more enjoyment going round to my local independant game shop and picking up old copies of WD than anything that's been coughed out by GW. This Warhammer visions need to be pretty damned impressive and not just a bunch of over sized pictures and size 14 font text but some serious fluff content modelling/painting ideas etc. I know GW is a business and has to make money but frankly it feels as though very little love for the Warhammer-verses exists within the halls of GW and its all about churning out models quickly with all new bells and whistles to take as much cash as fast as possible.

Arkhan Land
01-12-2014, 09:32 AM
Where's the Beef?
Thanks to digital editions am I just waiting for hobby/fluff/battle reports?

Darren Richardson
01-15-2014, 09:07 AM
mehhh

GW have more details online now, and you can only get the weekly from GW Stores Independent stockists (good luck finding one) and the GW online store.....

bad decission IMVHO....

Still at least the Visions will be available from anyone who previously stocked WD....

I just hope issue one isn't polybagged, I want to look through it before decieding to shell out my hard earned Pound Sterling....

ACE01
01-15-2014, 12:00 PM
UPDATE 15/01/2014:

Further info on WDD and WH:V...

All DD subscribers will get a letter and will have their subscriptions converted into Warhammer Visions. Cost disparities will be handled on a case basis, depending on when you took out your existing sub.
Existing White Dwarf Vouchers can be traded in for Warhammer Visions, netting you £2 of extra 'value'
All existing WD home delivery subscribers will receive the first issue of White Dwarf Weekly for free as a 'thank you'. Whether Voucher subscribers will receive a free copy or not I don't know.
All new WV subscriptions will be for home delivery only. The voucher system has been scrapped and is no longer available.
New WV subs will be £65 for 12 issues, a higher % saving vs the existing White Dwarf monthly, but at a higher total price.
There will be no subscription for White Dwarf Weekly, & it will only be available from your local GW store, independent stockist or the GW website.
The first WDW has a rules section.

GW release here: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/blog.jsp?pid=12800022-gws

Bigred
01-16-2014, 12:54 AM
Indeed, straight from the horse's mouth: (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/blog.jsp?pid=12800022-gws)

White Dwarf magazine goes weekly!

Saturday 1 February sees the birth of the new, weekly, White Dwarf magazine.

Saturday 1 February sees the birth of the new, monthly, Warhammer: Visions magazine.

Yes, that’s right. We’ll be launching two new magazines on the same day, Saturday 1 February.

White Dwarf, now weekly.

From Saturday 1 February, White Dwarf will be available each and every Saturday exclusively in your local Games Workshop store, Independent Stockist and at games-workshop.com

White Dwarf will contain everything that’s new and exciting in the hobby that week, from news and information on all the week’s other new releases, to new columnists, interviews, painting, modelling, game rules and much more. And the price? The same as a pot of your favourite Citadel paint.

Warhammer: Visions, now monthly.

Warhammer: Visions will be available on the first Saturday every month in your local Games Workshop store, Independent Stockist, games-workshop.com and local newsstands in the UK, Europe and Australia.

Warhammer: Visions is a completely new monthly magazine, also from the White Dwarf team. It’s unlike anything we’ve ever done before and this super high-quality visual feast weighs in at a whopping 236 pages, each and every month.

Just 17 days to go and counting.

After months of planning and hard work, we’re really excited to be able to share this news with you. We were overwhelmed by all the support and feedback you gave us last time we relaunched White Dwarf back in September 2012 (and by your emails and photos that you send us every day – please keep them coming), and we’re even more excited by what we’ve got coming up for you in 2014.

If you can’t wait for Saturday 1 February and want to know more, then your local Games Workshop store manager has more info…

Arkhan Land
01-16-2014, 10:38 AM
rules are coolz