PDA

View Full Version : Can you shoot at fleeing troops?

c-wiseman
01-14-2014, 03:25 PM
I have looked through the rules several time trying to find clarification. Can you shoot at fleeing troops, and what happens to them if you can shoot them? If you can tll me the page number in the rulebook so I can see why I have been missing it, I would appreciate it.

Chris

klunc
01-15-2014, 06:05 AM
Generally, I've found, if there isn't a rule saying you can't, then you can.

In this case specifically, I don't see why you can't shoot at them. Not sure they would suffer panic as they are already fleeing.

Wolfshade
01-15-2014, 06:10 AM
You may, of course shoot them. But, if they are already fleeing there might be more suitable targets.

Mr Mystery
01-15-2014, 07:31 AM
You can indeed shoot them.

And there are good reasons for it. Below a certain threshold (which I can't remember in the modern game!), a unit can no longer attempt to rally.

And again, we'll have to check rulebooks, I was under the impression that fleeing troops who are forced to take a further panic test automatically flee once again? Certainly was a rule at one point, but couldn't say if it's current or not.

c-wiseman
01-15-2014, 10:51 AM
That is part of the problem, I have been playing Warhammer since it first came out, all the old rules creep into my mind, it is hard to keep straight at times.
Thank you for the responses.
Chris

DarkLink
01-15-2014, 01:37 PM
Generally, I've found, if there isn't a rule saying you can't, then you can.

That's actually the exact opposite of the way the rules work, in general. You need permission to do anything.

That said, you have permission to shoot any enemy unit under the general shooting rules. Since you have that permission, and there is nothing to redact that permission in the case of broken units, then you are allowed to shoot at them.

Wildeybeast
01-15-2014, 02:52 PM
You can shoot fleeing troops. The only ones you cannot shoot are those you cannot see or those in combat (p39). Fleeing troops do not take panic tests, nor do they flee again (p62). Units below 25% of starting strength can only rally on snake eyes (p24). I think that covers everything.

Merellin
01-16-2014, 03:42 AM
And there are good reasons for it. Below a certain threshold (which I can't remember in the modern game!), a unit can no longer attempt to rally.

This used to be true, But is not in 8'th edition. You can always rally, It is just that if you sufferd big enough losses, You can only rally on double 1 making it very hard to rally.