PDA

View Full Version : 1500pt Competetive IG List

SlavesToDarkness
12-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Hello All -

Quick one for this weekend:

(Caveat - I do not own any Valkyries - yet...)

HQ - CCS w/ Plasma Pistol, 3 x Plasmagun, Vox-caster, Chimera w/ Multilaser, Heavy Flamer
(165pts)

Troops - Vets w/ 3 x Meltagun, Chimera w/ Multilaser, Heavy Flamer
(155pts)

Troops - Vets w/ 3 x Meltagun, Demolitions, Chimera w/ Multilaser, Heavy Flamer
(185pts)

Troops - Platoon Command w/ 3 x Flamer, Vox-caster, Chimera w/ Multilaser, Heavy Flamer
Squad 1 w/ Autocannon
Squad 2 w/ Autocannon
Squad 3 w/ Autocannon, Comissar w/ Powerfist, Vox-Caster
Squad 4 w/ Lascannon
(410pts)

Heavy Support - 2 x Griffon
(150pts)

Heavy Support - 2 x Medusa
(270pts)

Heavy Support - Demolisher w/ Heavy Flamer

So... what do you think? Is it worth the demolisher? Would a standard russ be better for the range?

Chumbalaya
12-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Drop the plasma pistol, swap lascannon for autocannon, drop the Demo, split up your Medusas and grab something like a Hellhound to support your forward elements.

SlavesToDarkness
12-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Sounds good.

Suppose I drop 1 medusa and add in a hellhound? Ie. keep the demolisher? (it would be easier on my wallet).

Or is there a better Leman Russ Variant to take rather than the demolisher?

karandras
12-16-2009, 06:24 PM
I totally agree on adding the hellhound. Also, if you're going to plasma gun spam your HQ, you might wanna consider freeing up the points for a medic! Feel no pain really can help out all of the potential gets hots! Either way 70 troops and 9 tanks at 1500 points is just nasty!

Eyespy
12-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Drop the plasma pistol

Really? Where's the downside apart from the points? Its a three wound model, so a 1 on your roll won't phase you, particularly with "Bring it Down".

I'd throw some Grenade Launchers in your Infantry Platoons to be honest. Some anti-armour is good, more anti-armour is better.

Chumbalaya
12-16-2009, 07:23 PM
It's points you can spend elsewhere. If you have nothing else to splurge on go for it, but I never see much point.

My preferred Russ variants are the Demo, Exec, and Erad, in that order. The Demo is cheap, flexible, and scary as all get out. The Exec is death on a stick to infantry, MCs and light armor. The Erad brutalizes hordes and still wounds most infantry on a 2+. Everything else ranges from meh to terrible. Some people swear by the LRBT, but I find it too limited in its usefulness.

DoctorEvil
12-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Drop the plasma pistol, swap lascannon for autocannon, drop the Demo, split up your Medusas and grab something like a Hellhound to support your forward elements.

I've never heard Chumbalaya say drop the Demolisher....it's sacrilege :) It must mean he likes the Artillery better than the Demo!

Jwolf
12-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Platoon Squad Commissars can't have powerfists.
Give the Vox to the Lascannon.

Otherwise this is a solid IG learning list. Try mixing in some elements to see what best works with your playstyle. If you have <100 games of 40K played total, just play this list 100 times, as soon as you can. Then start deciding what works for you and doesn't.

Mobious
12-17-2009, 10:56 AM
I am with everything thats been said so far, but i would also consider adding Heavy weapons teams to replace a couple of the Infantry squads. More firepower is always nice, and then you can just ue the Infantry as a stubborn wrap for your vehicles.

I think Chumbalaya is suggesting the drop because the Demos are only really effective with 1st turn Valkyrie Assaults. Otherwise, its 30 points for something you most likely won't get a full usage out of.

Chumbalaya
12-17-2009, 11:01 AM
I'd drop it because he already has 2 Medusas and getting something different never hurts, something neat like an Executioner, Eradicator, funky artillery variant, or Hellhound variant.

Unholy_Martyr
12-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Well I guess everyone is in concensus on this list so far, so let me throw my .02 in:

1) Drop the Demolitions on the Veterans, that's 30 points you can use down the road, and 30 points better spent. With these guys in Chimeras you want to do a drive-by ala Compton style, not get out and have to tag something.

2) Using said points saved, invest in Vox-Casters on your Infantry Platoon to maximize on the orders you will be giving to said Platoon.

3) At this point you would be over-kill with keeping the Leman Russ Demolisher as your 2 Medusas can fill the role just as effectively with a little more reach. This would save you a heap of points so as to shower your boys with gifts. Another route would be to throw in another couple of squads into the platoon, or split that platoon into a 2 platoons, affords more orders and guns.

4) Med-Pack would be somewhat of a must with your Plasma toting Company Command Squad, especially if you're within 12" of something.

That's my take on the list, wish you the best with it.

Mobious
12-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Chum - I meant the Demo Charges, but thats also a good point.

SlavesToDarkness
12-17-2009, 01:46 PM
My only concern is if I upgrade to a medic, I lose the vox-caster. Wouldn't that help the command squad give orders? Especially "Bring it down!"

Unholy_Martyr
12-17-2009, 01:51 PM
That is a point, now if you want, you could just do Carapace to increase your chances of survival (in my experience it is just as effective as Feel No Pain in the long run).

SlavesToDarkness
12-17-2009, 02:00 PM
That is a very good point, and I do have the models.

I am considering this tank load-out: 2 x Griffon, Medusa, Demolisher, Hellhound

But I would be willing to try and squeeze in an Executioner instead (I really love the models - I have 3 forgeworld ones!). But I don't think I could get it in with sponsons points-wise. Is it worth fielding with just a lascannon or heavy flamer?

Unholy_Martyr
12-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Depends on if you want to play it static or not. Also, with the Heavy Flamer, you still enjoy ruining enemy Infantry's days. In all honesty, I would actually do an Executioner over the Demolisher.

My thinking for your heavies is something like this:
1 Griffon, 2 Medusas and Executioner or just two Medusas and the Executioner. Here's why: Executioner will eat alive anything with a 2+ Save (Terminators specifically) without you having to worry about the scatter vaporizing your own units. And well, the Medusa/s and/or Griffon can deal with the rest. Hellhound would be rather helpful, especially with Hordes and the Bugs coming up soon.

SlavesToDarkness
12-17-2009, 04:33 PM
That is very good advice. I think I'll swap the lascannon for a heavy flamer from one of my Executioners.