PDA

View Full Version : 2K Daemon List

evil_bryan
08-02-2009, 02:28 PM
This is the all comers Daemon list I've been running for a few months. I'd like to think it's a friendly list, but if all three flamers units do well then my opponent may not agree. :)

Bloodthirster
-Unholy Might
-Blessings of The Blood God

Great Unclean One
-Unholy Might
-Cloud of Flies

Flamers of Tzeentch (3)

Flamers of Tzeentch (3)

Flamers of Tzeentch (3)

Plaguebearers of Nurgle (7)
-Chaos Icon

Plaguebearers of Nurgle (7)
-Chaos Icon

Pink Horrors of Tzeentch (9)
-Chaos Icon
-The Changeling

Pink Horrors of Tzeentch (9)
-Chaos Icon

Bloodletters of Khorne (8)

Bloodletters of Khorne (8)

Daemon Prince of Chaos
-Instrument of Chaos
-Iron Hide
-Unholy Might
-Mark of Nurgle
-Cloud of Flies
-Noxious Touch
-Boon of Mutation

Daemon Prince of Chaos
-Mark of Tzeentch
-Bolt of Tzeentch

Total Roster Cost: 1997

Chumbalaya
08-02-2009, 03:00 PM
What happens against mech?

BT is a beat stick, but since he's the obvious threat he will draw fire and die.

GUO is slow and not hitting combat any time soon, good thing he'll be able to shrug off all the firepower not headed his way.

Flamers are a fragile suicide unit completely neutralized by riding in a transport or bad scatter or smart deployment/movement to limit your ability to safely DS.

PBs are great, icons are not. They don't work on your first wave and that's really when you need it. Too pricey for too little benefit.

Horrors are soft and poor objective holders. They need bolt to be useful, and that's only to have the remote chance of popping a tank. Daemons don't need help killing infantry.

Bloodletters are extremely killy, but slow and easy to gun down. You need faster units to get to grips with the enemy so the Bletters can finish, running 8 at an unengaged enemy = dead.

Single DP suffers like the BT, it's an obvious target and once it goes your army has no mobility.

Tzeentch DP is nice, but just 1 isn't going to have the effect on armor. Easy to down with high RoF weaponry.

It's too slow, relying on 2 MCs to catch up with fast armies, and has a lot of points wasted in icons.

More fast units and more armor busters are a must. 2 BTs or 4 Tzeralds/Sheralds, the former to smash face and the latter to cheaply catch units/tanks. Fiends are the best elites choice hands down, take 18. PBs hold objectives, BL smash what the Fiends have left over. Tzeentch DPs are cheap and can threaten armor.

mkerr
08-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Hi evil_bryan, it looks like a fun list but I wouldn't consider any list with a GUO or 9 flamers "friendly". It might not be hyper tuned, but it's definitely competitive.

Are you looking to improve the army? Or are you just sharing? If you are just sharing, let us know how it's performing and what's good/bad about it.

-- MKerr

Lerra
08-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Personally, I don't see any issue with taking a GUO in a casual list.

Chumbalaya
08-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Yep, an MC moving like infantry isn't really breaking the game, doubly so since he has no shooting.

Flamers are extremely fragile, have to DS really close (risking scatter because nobody is going to park by your icons) and don't do anything to vehicles or the troops inside.

mkerr
08-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Personally, I don't see any issue with taking a GUO in a casual list.

I don't think it's abusive, but I certainly wouldn't expect to see a GUO in a friendly list. There are a lot of lists that wouldn't have an answer to T6 W5 4++ FNP monstrous creature that lands in your backfield.

If my opponent called me up for a friendly game and dropped Noxxo the GCU on me, I'd grumble a bit (and feel less guilty about the pair of Medusas I brought). But as always, your mileage may vary.

-- MKerr

Darkwynn
08-02-2009, 09:34 PM
I don't think it's abusive, but I certainly wouldn't expect to see a GUO in a friendly list. There are a lot of lists that wouldn't have an answer to T6 W5 4++ FNP monstrous creature that lands in your backfield.

If my opponent called me up for a friendly game and dropped Noxxo the GCU on me, I'd grumble a bit (and feel less guilty about the pair of Medusas I brought). But as always, your mileage may vary.

-- MKerr
That is just two different views of being casuel I think Mkerr. I would expect if we played hobby down at our area you would expect a GUO with a whole nurgle list which would be fine.

I think if you want to tune it you need to have a mix with hard hitting units and speed in there.

I would agree with chambyala about the horrors and the flamers.

personally I would drop the GUO , flamers, and horrors for either Fiends/ Crushers mix. Strip some of the deamon princes and run three of them a little lighter. You don't have anti tank to begin with so your best bet is usually your MC's to begin with.

IF you can add a Keeper of secerts or another MC in the HQ slot do it. If not add a hearld with pavine to help your blood thrister and bloodletters get into combat easier.Beef up your Bloodletters to a bigger count maybe 10 or 12 because small arms can kill 8 blood letters pretty easily.

Chumbalaya
08-02-2009, 09:56 PM

-- MKerr

Really, a GUO would get you in a huff?

So by friendly, you mean completely unplayable? Who's that friendly to? Certainly not the daemon player, they have it hard enough with their gimpy, gimmicky army.

evil_bryan
08-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Hi evil_bryan, it looks like a fun list but I wouldn't consider any list with a GUO or 9 flamers "friendly". It might not be hyper tuned, but it's definitely competitive.

Are you looking to improve the army? Or are you just sharing? If you are just sharing, let us know how it's performing and what's good/bad about it.

-- MKerr

My thought in posting the list was to share the build, so I'd be happy to talk about how it's performing to date. Under this current build, I have around 20 plays and my overall winning percentage is maybe 50%. My gaming club has great mix of armies and have had a chance to match this force up against a range of opponents.

This army struggles against extreme lists (big hordes or all mech) and does best agaist MEQ forces with balanced lists. The overall randomness of Deamon armies make for varied experience every time they are played.

I see the individual units in this list as follows:

Effective Units:
Plaguebearers - The most dependable units in my army for their purpose, live and keep an icon in play. One unit goes in each half to ensure I have an icon in play after turn 1.

Horrors - Surprisingly with the amount of firepower they can unleash (which is a treat in Daemon armies), they have been performing well as long as you are selective with their placement and target selection. Their surivability is aided with their 4+ INV. The Changling has also provided some great benefit in certain games...well worth the added points.

GUO - Although he is slow, his purpose as a fire manget is very successful. I like to keep him cheap and use him to harass the enemy.

DP of Tzeentch - With his BS5, Bolt of Tzeentch has paid for itself many times. Another unit I like to keep cheap.

Hit or Miss Units:
Flamers - Clearly the feast or famine unit in the list. If they have the opportunity, they can cause a tremedous amount of damage. The balance is just how fragile they are. It takes very little firepower to destroy 3 T4 models with a 4+ INV. If they get ignored, they will make the opponent pay.

DP of Nurgle - Since I have him running at 200+ points, he is not terribly points effective. I do like playing him and I finally had Boon of Mutation pay off during round 1 of 'Ard Boyz when Snikrot got turned into a spawn. :)

Bloodthirster - He only makes his points back in less than 25% of my games, but causes fear and draws lots of fire when he hits the table.

Always Miss Units:
Bloodletters - Even though they are experts at dying, they consistantly choose to practice in every game they play in. If you ever get lucky enough to get them in close combat, they can do lots of damage (and if they get the charge, change "lots" to "tons".) With running a Bloodthirster, I feel guilting not having them in the army. I just wish they had better luck.

Next weekend, the Daemons will be playing in a 5 game tournament and I'll be sure to document how well they do.

Darkwynn
08-02-2009, 10:18 PM
GUO's are pretty easy to kill, Any combination of plasma and melta will take them out and they are just too slow to move around on the battle fields. The only thing they are great for is a diversion or using him as a combo with another unit so he can get in assault.

usekungfu
08-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks for sharing! I really like this list, it reminds me of what I use, something friendly with some decent hitting power. I've been wondering about using Daemon Princes, lately my Soul Grinders have been doing the dying trick too :( but once in a while they get through. This just seem like a fun list and I would love to play against something like this as well.