PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL Creature Caster launching on Kickstarter

CreatureCaster
01-17-2014, 02:15 AM
Hey everyone. Jeremy here, formerly of Ultraforge. I am here to humbly pitch the Kickstarter campaign for my miniatures company called: Creature Caster.

After researching, following and supporting a few Kickstarter campaigns, I found that I am not a fan of complex campaigns with confusing stretch goal maps and pledge calculators. Tho there is a story behind each miniature, I didn't write pages of fluff. I also don't want to explain too much about my personal life in my campaign. Instead, I spend my time trying to sculpt and manufacture the best miniatures I can, and with feedback and practice I can hopefully make gains and improve with each one.

I love this hobby. My best friends are the people in this hobby. I wanna make models that people appreciate, and it is really that simple.

Check out the campaign when it launches on Feb 1st, 12:01 PST. There will be door-crasher specials on the first day, and those units will sell out fast, so be there the minute it launches.

Most questions you have regarding the sculpting, manufacture and sales of the miniatures can be found on http://www.creaturecaster.com/ . There is even a short 'behind the scenes' video, and well as the video we will have on our Kickstarter page. If anything is not covered on the site, just post your questions here and I will be glad to answer it as soon as I can. I also posted some more information below.

Most importantly, thank you very much for your support.

Jeremy

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/creaturecaster/forum1_zps21375e89.jpg

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/creaturecaster/forum2_zps121f82af.jpg

Information on pricing/pledging (will be updated as the thread progresses)

- the idea is: you pledge on a model or a package deal, and then you may add other miniatures to your pledge (at a discounted rate) in the form of optional upgrades. You may also add stretch goal miniatures as optional upgrades. You will get a questionnaire at the end of the campaign for you to explain exactly what it was that you paid for. Easy
- shipping will be bundled. Pay a one time shipping fee on your starter pledge, and thats it.
- shipping goes to anywhere a package can be sent to on earth
- The Kickstarter discount on all minis will be at least 25% off what their retail price will be in the future
- The package deals are insane, and will have you saving closer to 35%.
- The stretch goals that will be unveiled during the campaign will be an exciting thing to keep checking up on, since they are all epic creatures
- I am making it very easy for you to 'adjust your pledge' and add any additional options as they get added to the campaign. This is going to be a very neat and tidy campaign.
- instead of adding a ton of miniatures as stretch goals, we will add a handful and then fulfill our orders ASAP, waiting till the next Kickstarter to add more creatures

Frequently asked questions and comments (will be updated as the thread progresses)

- we will eventually be doing smaller miniatures, with the same quality in sculpt and manufacture, but not in this campaign. We have plans for down the road
- the models are sculpted in the computer, with the sensibilities that I have picked up from physically sculpting for the last 10 years. We do things the hard way
- the master model is 3D printed with the most high-end printer on the market today, which is then resin-cast to capture all the detail and add durability. The Creature Caster team is a rare combination, with expertise and first hand experience in each of these fields
- actual heights for the models are on our website, with clear diagrams
- our models all are stood on base rocks. The rock is a counterweight which makes our models very stable on a tabletop while still fitting onto a small footprint. The height that the rock adds does not appeal to all gamers who are concerned about line-of-sight rules. I personally dislike and replace any LoS rule in any tabletop wargame I play and instead measure base to base, and discuss whether or not my model is in cover based on common sense and honor. LoS makes perfect sense in first person shooters, and makes little sense in tabletop wargaming when each sculpt should represent a unit, not actually be a frozen version of a real unit moving around a table.
- our models typically are featured in dynamic poses, with an asymmetrical height of each foot. I would personally prefer my creatures to be 'foot on rock' as opposed to 'feet flat'. It is a preference thing, but we are still open to applying the variety of feedback we receive when sculpting future models.

Useful links:
- our website: http://www.creaturecaster.com/
- sneak preview our kickstarter video: http://www.creaturecaster.com/pages/kickstarter
- behind-the-scenes video: http://www.creaturecaster.com/pages/features
- our youtube page with every model turnaround: https://www.youtube.com/user/creaturecaster
- our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/creaturecaster

Katharon
01-17-2014, 04:00 AM
You guys are doing great! I'm looking forward to more of your team's work and the future projects you've described above.

eldargal
01-17-2014, 04:01 AM
I rather like the absolutely-not-a-Keeper-of-Secrets.

Bigred
01-17-2014, 10:29 AM
Everyone should watch this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nmj1wnFNCk

eldargal
01-17-2014, 10:45 AM
OH MY GOODNESS IT'S THE ULTRAFORGE PEOPLE BACK!

*ahem*

So I might be pledging for this one... Amusing actually as my first thought when seeing the non-KoS was 'That reminds me somewhat of the Ultraforge one'.

Erik Setzer
01-17-2014, 11:06 AM
I don't care if I can't use them in a GW store, I want those greater daemons so bad... Those are AWESOME models.

Erik Setzer
01-17-2014, 11:08 AM
I also like that they had old *and* new style Keeper-of-Secrets (oh, but not really KoS, I know, wink wink).

Keaton James Callaghan
01-17-2014, 11:27 AM
WOW just wow! I love these models. Will defo getting my hands on some in the near future.

Mad Cat
01-17-2014, 11:36 AM
Well I adready own Non-great-unclean-ones from Scibor, Puppets war and Ultraforge (Not GW obviously that model is pathetic).
What a relief to find that this big fat diseased daemon in completely not a Great Unclean One either. So that's me sorted with a double force organisation chart.

I will also get one of the Lords of changing things (cough).

Could there be an option for tatterd remenants of wings to be a stretch option for the Balrogoth daemon? I can't think of any specific reason why any popular rule set would require such a conversion, honnest.

Brovatar
01-17-2014, 11:41 AM
This will be epic.

Orange
01-17-2014, 11:45 AM
Somebody is going to get a Chapter House slap on the wrist unless GW started handing out hall passes.

Xarga
01-17-2014, 12:42 PM
These look fantastic, good job! :D

I hadn't planned on doing a Daemons army yet, more in a year or so but those "not-Greater Daemons" looks gorgeous. Especially liking the "not-Lord of Change", it looks like it fits much better into the line of current Tzeentch sculpts with all those mouths and eyeballs.

angrybear
01-17-2014, 03:55 PM
Amazing minis! It are the first dragon minis who are in my view absolute perfect:eek:. Love your work. I normally never contribute to a kick starter but will make a exception for this;).

simonbeard
01-17-2014, 05:17 PM
These look fantastic, good job! :D

I hadn't planned on doing a Daemons army yet, more in a year or so but those "not-Greater Daemons" looks gorgeous. Especially liking the "not-Lord of Change", it looks like it fits much better into the line of current Tzeentch sculpts with all those mouths and eyeballs.

Why does everyone keep comparing these to GW sculpts. These sculpts are obviously created from ideas far more inspired than anything GW has come up with in years. These folks at CC (previously UF) have a unique view of monsters in the world of fantasy miniature wargaming, and they should be congratulated for it. They should most assuredly not be compared to a company that hasn't done anything successfully since 1996 (with the exception of bullying throughout the industry).

Jeremy, good on you for all you accomplished at UltraForge, and all you continue to accomplish with your sculpting efforts. You're a boon to the industry. Keep up the good work.

live long and prosper.

Katharon
01-17-2014, 08:09 PM
Somebody is going to get a Chapter House slap on the wrist unless GW started handing out hall passes.

They did everything themselves, from scratch, so GW can't touch them. GW doesn't own the rights to model form unless it is identical to their own product. Ergo even if it seems similar, it's not applicable for a lawsuit. Which let me qualify that by saying GW would probably try to bring it to a court if they like, but they wouldn't win because of the reason I stated above. They don't hold patents on model form, just their IP, so they have to sit there and stew.

Chris*ta
01-17-2014, 09:34 PM

They did everything themselves, from scratch, so GW can't touch them. GW doesn't own the rights to model form unless it is identical to their own product. Ergo even if it seems similar, it's not applicable for a lawsuit. Which let me qualify that by saying GW would probably try to bring it to a court if they like, but they wouldn't win because of the reason I stated above. They don't hold patents on model form, just their IP, so they have to sit there and stew.

Pretty much what I was going to say.

I just wanted to add that the reason GW went after Chapterhouse was that Chapterhouse was using the specific names of GW products, that GW had a copyright or trademark on (I can't remember which is which.).

Oh, and these models look absolutely fantastic!

Crevab
01-18-2014, 12:16 AM
I'll definitely be there at midnight, just... what expression is Arushnee supposed to have? Cause I see "dumbfounded" or "gawking"

eldargal
01-18-2014, 12:50 AM
There is nothing particularly GW/FWesque about Arushnee. One third of the correct number of breasts for a KoS for a start and I could find as many visual cues from Kerrigan to asari and elswhere than to GW/FW models.

Crevab
01-18-2014, 05:12 AM

Maybe a lolifex conversion is in order?

eldargal
01-18-2014, 05:26 AM
Gosh, I'd kill for some bone sword knickers like that.

'Hey, show us your...'
*decapitate*

CreatureCaster
01-18-2014, 09:37 PM
I am really impressed with the positivity coming from these boards. It is nice to see for a change. :)

For the record, we do models inspired TSR and Tolkien. Same as GW. Same as countless other companies.

I have gotten a few requests for a signature banner that you can use to help us promote our campaign. Thank you very much for your support.

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/creaturecaster/banner-medium1_zpsbacf5c2b.jpg (http://www.creaturecaster.com)

Chris*ta
01-19-2014, 09:37 AM
Gosh, I'd kill for some bone sword knickers like that.

'Hey, show us your...'
*decapitate*

:D

I'm a guy who wears kilts (in Sydney, Australia, so it's not common). I was walking past a park near my home the other day, and there was a bunch of adult guys sitting in the park, and one of the guys shouts "Hey. Lift up your kilt."

I, keeping walking, roll my eyes and say "Would you?"

[/Off-topic]

Harley
01-20-2014, 10:57 AM
Really looking forward to this. As a long time TSR/Forgotten Realms player I see more resemblance to TSR monsters than anything Games Workshop has done. However, most frequenters of these boards are probably a younger, GW oriented crowd. The Balor and Pit Fiend/Glabrezu are spot on and would make for awesome boss battles for any party of RPG adventurers. Arushnee seemed derived from Lolth, and of course there is the Ent/Tree folk.

Would be great to see more versions of these creatures to be used as secondary poses when more than one creature of the same type is required and of course other Baatezu/Tenar'ri inspired monsters would be welcom.

Maskedaxe
01-20-2014, 04:22 PM
dose anyone know the price of these models yet. seeing the detail and size of them im guessing there not going to go cheap. $50-$80 is my guess

Jean-Yves MacDougall
01-20-2014, 09:53 PM
When seeing the stuff that you are producing... jaw drops to the ground wow!!! I am just wondering what type of price range they would be so that I can try and hide enough money from my fiancee enough to cover at least 1 or two of them....

Sarge
01-22-2014, 10:33 PM
These models are fantastic! Honestly, the detail in Ganadhar's sword and Morbat's skin are phenomenal! The poses are all fantastic. It looks like the models are ready to jump off the table! I'm definitely contributing to this kickstarter!

Kaptain Badrukk
01-25-2014, 08:37 AM
Nice minis, very nice.

Harley
01-25-2014, 08:42 PM
When seeing the stuff that you are producing... jaw drops to the ground wow!!! I am just wondering what type of price range they would be so that I can try and hide enough money from my fiancee enough to cover at least 1 or two of them....

They have said the large demons will be around $60-100.

CreatureCaster
01-31-2014, 10:26 PM
Hello BOLS Loungers. The conversation here is always positive and informative. I will be back soon to address specific questions.

We have a very important update: We have decided to extend our pre-campaign.

We realize this is short notice and apologize for any lost sleep. We are doing this to offer an entire new set of upgraded rewards to our backers. We did not originally expect the demand to be as huge as it has become, and we are now preparing to make this campaign bigger than ever, with the best rewards possible.

We are taking every precaution at the beginning of the campaign to ensure that everything goes smoothly in the end. We know that you will be happy that we decided to make this small change, because it will ultimately lead to huge rewards for our backers. Trust me, you are going to really love these new rewards. We thank you for your continued support.

Post any questions, comments or suggestions here and I will respond as soon and as often as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds52ClHB56c

Jeremy

Crevab
01-31-2014, 11:27 PM
Wow, 4 hours before launch? Might wanna change your Facebook main pic ASAP.

Reminds me of a package I was eagerly tracking, yet when it got to my local post office, they sent it back!

angrybear
02-01-2014, 04:24 AM
Wow, 4 hours before launch? Might wanna change your Facebook main pic ASAP.

Reminds me of a package I was eagerly tracking, yet when it got to my local post office, they sent it back!

I think its a good idea of them, I can imagine its hard for a small company to set up a kickstarter without knowing their audience size. Also thankyou creaturecaster for giving such a nice explanation.

eldargal
02-01-2014, 07:56 AM
It's not really a big deal.

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-13-2014, 11:17 AM
Would so love to see these guys do a Nyarlathotep model. Please do a Nyarlathotep model.

angrybear
02-14-2014, 04:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxcSDIkqAKI&list=UUXGnQIJTGS-e5D-E0PdE1_Q

Last news on this kickstarter!

Bigred
04-19-2014, 10:52 AM
Creature Caster Kickstarter Launches!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-mFiUJ5jDo

Kickstarter Page (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jeremyglen/creature-caster-first-wave)

eldargal
04-19-2014, 11:01 AM
Going to get Spider Demon for a Keeper of Secrets and maybe the emperor dragon.

Littha
04-19-2014, 02:41 PM
Thinking of ordering the demon bundle myself. It is sad that there is no shipping estimate though.

Edit: aaand I caved... still $315 CAD is ~£170 and the forgeworld bloodthirster is £144 on its own...

bob sprocket
04-19-2014, 03:22 PM
Lovely models. Unfortunately will never order without knowing shipping costs

Ezaviel
04-21-2014, 05:09 PM
Kinda sad there isn't a Plague Demon :(

But still very tempted to pick up a Demon pack...

TheCreator
04-23-2014, 02:23 AM
Potential models and concepts form Dakka Dakka and Facebook.

eldargal
04-23-2014, 02:53 AM
You know what I'd really like to see? A giant female Bloodthirster type demon. Head to foot baroque plate armour, no cleavage windows...

Mad Cat
04-23-2014, 09:03 AM
I will wait to see the postage costs to the UK.

I will buy a Vulture Daemon and possibly a Plague Daemon which may be added to the Kickstarter campaign as it progresses.

Littha
04-24-2014, 08:44 AM
You know what I'd really like to see? A giant female Bloodthirster type demon. Head to foot baroque plate armour, no cleavage windows...

As cool as a female bloodthirster would be, anything head to foot in plate armor is going to be basically genderless anyway. Unless of course you deliberately make the armour either more form fitting or emphasise things that shouldn't be visible anyway...

eldargal
04-24-2014, 08:57 AM
Actually it depends on the style of armour and how well fitted it is. Gothic plate is really quite feminine:
http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1371/11/1371119491122.jpg
And when the cuisses are made to fit a womans larger thighs it looks even more so.

Littha
04-24-2014, 09:18 AM
Well yes but telling the difference between a man and a woman wearing that armor is going to be nigh impossible even at real scale, in miniature it's going to be even harder. That and not all baroque armor is gothic being as not all of it was german. Baroque armor would imply italian armor from around the 16th century which has a much less exaggerated waistline generally. (not always of course as it isn't like the suits were mass produced.)

eldargal
04-24-2014, 09:23 AM
Well I was thinking her head would be bare but yes baroque was probably a bad choice of word. I meant more in terms of decoration, it being highly ornate, rather than the actual period from which the armour dates. There are ways of making it appear female without sexualising the armour though. Not to mention at the larger scale of this demons the differences would be much more visible than at 28mm scale.

Littha
04-24-2014, 09:34 AM
Fair enough, I have a particular bias against people wearing full plate and skipping the helmet so that didn't occur to me (made my sisters of battle even more expensive than usual...)

The problem with trying to engender a suit of armor is that most ways you can differenciate genders usually are going to be completely covered. The waist is unlikley to be tailored in more than usual because the angle of deflection changes make the armor less effective and while the cuisses might be slightly wider you probably wouldn't be able to definitavely work out the sex of the wearer from that alone.

Of course this assumes you still want it to be functional armor, generally that gets sacrificed in fantasy settings anyway.

Theik
04-24-2014, 01:08 PM
I am not particularly worried about female demons wearing armor, as generally speaking the male demons in the whole bloodthirster theme don't wear armor either, it's part of their whole "come at me, I'm a raging berserker and I don't need armor" gimmick. What does confuse me to no end is that apparently demons work the same as orangutans, with the males being huge and scary and the women looking cuddly. Does a bloodthirster really need sex appeal? o_O

Littha
04-24-2014, 05:33 PM
I am not particularly worried about female demons wearing armor, as generally speaking the male demons in the whole bloodthirster theme don't wear armor either, it's part of their whole "come at me, I'm a raging berserker and I don't need armor" gimmick. What does confuse me to no end is that apparently demons work the same as orangutans, with the males being huge and scary and the women looking cuddly. Does a bloodthirster really need sex appeal? o_O

Both the GW and forgeworld bloodthirsters are wearing heavy armor.
Besides that, most depictions of demons that don't have anything to do with sex are effectively genderless anyway. All of the GW lesser demons fall into this, I couldn't say whether Bloodletters, Plaguebearers or Horrors were male or female, their anatomy is too different from human anyway. The bloodthirster might be a product of this too, if you took a creature with no sexual characteristics at all and then fed it enough steroids to hulk out like that I imagine it would look similar just because of the way muscle builds in extremes. Look at female body builders (the extreme ones) sometimes the only way to tell they are women at all is because they are wearing a bra in their pictures...