PDA

View Full Version : Dark Eldar Tactica

BuFFo
08-02-2009, 02:32 PM
I have been messing with Dark Eldar since 1998, and my love for this army knows no bounds.

Keeping things short and sweet....

If you have any tactical advice to play as or against Dark Eldar, or if you have any questions regarding Dark Eldar in particular, I will try my best to answer your questions.

Let the gates to Commorragh swing wide open to all who dare enter!

Mindless-Focus
08-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Tactically, how can i force GW to go ahead and release my beloved DE in all its new and updatedness?

Nikephoros
08-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Tactically, how can i force GW to go ahead and release my beloved DE in all its new and updatedness?

As a Black Templar player I've always been puzzled when people ask for a new codex since I know full well it isn't likely to be as powerful as the current one. The same is doubly true for Dark Eldar.

Mindless-Focus
08-02-2009, 04:27 PM
as i said in another post, all i really want is miniatures that dont look like bison balls...

BuFFo
08-02-2009, 08:11 PM
as i said in another post, all i really want is miniatures that dont look like bison balls...

So what does that have to do with a codex? I don't understand what paper has to do with models.

You know GW has a huge line of models outside the Dark Eldar line right? I use a mix of Fantasy Dark Elves, Wood Elves and Eldar in my army for my models.

Now please stay on topic. This thread has nothing to do with personal taste for models. It is for tactical advice and questions concerning the Dark Eldar rules in tactical situations.

Bigred
08-02-2009, 08:19 PM
I'll bite,

Webway Portals?

Reliable way to get the jump on the bad guys and protect your forces?
or
An unreliable gambit that is a quick path to losing half your army?

Lets hear the skinny on how, and if you should use these devices.

Xai
08-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Being an ex-DE player, the only real tactic I was able to perform with, and that I ever saw perform consistently, was the kite army. As many raiders as possible, blasters in every squad, and a nice fully loaded Archon (7 attacks on the charge, re-roll misses, always woulds on 4+ was GLORIOUS!) with a full incubi retinue that would dice absolutely every non vehicle unit that it touched.

The problem with raiders is that you could close your eyes, pull the trigger and blow them away in the old edition. With the 5th ed rules at least it's trickier for bolters to pull them out of the sky. Couple that with a large fleet of them, and you're capable of putting some serious open topped fire and CC hurt on a lot of armies. Unfortunately, without a new codex, their squad options are very limited. You have to rely on some units to soak up the attention, ie: Talos - bad mofos. I used to run 2 and a ravager for fire support.

But it's been awhile, and I haven't tried to run them in 5th edition yet, so I'm curious to see what other people have to say!

BuFFo
08-02-2009, 08:30 PM
I'll bite,

Webway Portals?

Reliable way to get the jump on the bad guys and protect your forces?
or
An unreliable gambit that is a quick path to losing half your army?

Lets hear the skinny on how, and if you should use these devices.

Well, Web Way Portals worked perfectly in 4th edition because LOS was completely blocked by area terrain.

In 5th edition, your WWP carrier is much more vulnerable to fire and dying.

With the buffs given to skimmer vehicles in 5th edition, it is just easier, and safer, to just use a Raider based army and zoom forward.

I used to use WWPs in my Wych Cult for many years, but since 5th, I just go back to my 3rd ed days and use a Raider force to fly my Wyches into combat.

Has anyone had constant success against a competent opponent using WWPs? I tried using it once last month, and it was meh at best. Not as reliable as just airforcing my army into the thick of it.

Mindless-Focus
08-02-2009, 08:43 PM
since 5th, no. I have tried to use WWP and have had no real success. Kite armies is really the only way to go now. Raiders are your friend.

BuFFo
08-02-2009, 10:55 PM
(7 attacks on the charge, re-roll misses, always woulds on 4+ was GLORIOUS!)

How are you getting seven attacks?

3 base
4 for charging
5 for two CC weapons
6 for drugs

Am I missing something?

Don't tell me you are misreading the Tormentor Helm and using that for an extra attack on top of the extra attack for two CC weapons?

helvexis
08-03-2009, 02:14 AM
well thats a cheap bit of word twisting that can be done ... ive only done it once and it was so cheap i didnt ever do it again.... and i felt bad for beating the little 14 yr old so badly he was wishing hed brought kneepads

my question is about talos i dont use them never have, like my ravagers too much, but are they good? mostly to me they are too slow to keep up with the raiders in wwp lists i can see how they would work just not in a raider heavy list.

oh and your archon do you use punisher or agoniser???
me i go with punisher T.helm, drugs, shad field, plasma grenades, animus vitae. and sometimes a jetbike and terorfex though i rely mostly on horrorfexes
or i go with an agoniser and drop the animus and T.helm for a pistol

thecactusman17
08-03-2009, 03:13 AM
There is one enemy that the Dark Eldar fear above all others: The dreaded Sisters of Battle and their vehicles of doom.

Sisters have big, mean advantages against Dark Eldar. The copius invulnerable saves, tons of high-strength ranged weaponry, and other associated problems mean that if you DON'T get that first turn advantage on the charge or shooting, you are potentially very boned.

your biggest weakness is one of your biggest strengths: The high mobility of your skimmers means that a few lucky bolter rounds are going to drop your Raiders and Ravagers like rocks. The heavy flamer is perhaps the greatest bane your army can encounter -- beware things like Heavy Flamers, Incinerators, Flamestorm cannons, or the new Hellhound. It will reduce your close combat monsters to puddles of plastic and pewter goo.

With so much less fully obscuring cover, it can be doubly hard hiding your skimmers and transports. In non-KP games, don't be afraid to use the long profile of the DE vehicles to create walls in front of your more vital troops and vehicles.

Finally, coming in on turn two can be a powerful tactic. with 12-24 inches of viable movement across the board, choosing to leave your most prized units unassailable for the first turn can potentially be a winning strategy. Especially in a game with rules like Dawn of War.

DE are an army that, true to the fluff, excels when your raid is the quickest, your opponent's reaction time the shortest and your hammer-blows are the most concentrated.

Mindless-Focus
08-03-2009, 07:45 AM
My biggest bane right now are the Tau. I run against a player that maxes troop choices. He has 6 max squads with markerlights and what have you with an uber Crisis suite HQ. I can not get close enough quick enough to engage in CC. In fact, in one game, he shot everything down and killed everything to a man. any advice on cracking tau? i know if i can get into CC with him that he is through but when you get close enough to charge and he pulls out 30+ rapid fire shots, i know i am dead. any help?

BuFFo
08-03-2009, 11:50 PM
my question is about talos i dont use them never have, like my ravagers too much, but are they good?

Well, now that Talos is a Monstrous Creature as per the Dark Eldar Errata, it can now pop tanks pretty easily compared to before.

oh and your archon do you use punisher or agoniser???

I give him the Punisher. Just because 99% of the time he is killing toughness 4/5 models.

I let my wyches with their Agoniser toting Succubus deal with Carnifexes and Demon Princes.

My biggest bane right now are the Tau. I run against a player that maxes troop choices. He has 6 max squads with markerlights and what have you with an uber Crisis suite HQ. I can not get close enough quick enough to engage in CC. In fact, in one game, he shot everything down and killed everything to a man. any advice on cracking tau? i know if i can get into CC with him that he is through but when you get close enough to charge and he pulls out 30+ rapid fire shots, i know i am dead. any help?

Well, unfortunately Dark Eldar's main nemesis in 5th edition is actually one of the lower tier armies, the Tau.

I 'fear' Tau as well, and for the same reasons as you.

The best I can say is Raider Rush everything you got forward, while your Dark Lances try to pick their vehicles apart from afar.

Mandrakes are great for killing Tau. I would advise taking two units of them so they can kill just about anything the Tau have without fear of being shot up.

helvexis
08-04-2009, 03:00 AM
yeah tau are something i dont like too much and chhaos daemon have been really annoying recently.

can talos keep up with the rest of your force though just looks too slow and cheaper to just use the lances to kill the tanls and keep the ravagers for everything else?

Oldgrue
08-04-2009, 09:53 PM
DE are well rewarded by unadulterated speed. Slowing down enough for a webway portal is dicey, and heaven forbid you get two unlucky hits on folks carrying them.
DE players will argue back and forth over the value of running a Wych Cult or Warrior heavy army when it is effectively the same thing. Raider squads with dual dark lances, and Wyches in Raiders for HTH, with Ravagers to take down clusters of infantry (S4 AP3 heavy 3, with 3 per open topped ravager)

In my opinion the Talos is a waste of points because of how fragile DE are. They can't afford to wait for the talos to really be a viable threat, and are susceptible to its weapons much more than most opponents.

In the same bundle of useless are Hellions because jetbikes perform the same role while being more reliable in HTH. Scourges while able to deliver similar firepwower to a ravager are much more fragile while not being able to deliver their firepower consistently. Perhaps if they get *jet* packs in some future codex. The Splinter cannon is an OK weapon, but simply doesn't have the punch to be truly frightening to infantry. Mandrakes are sort of neat, but they really don't have the ability to capitalize on their shadow-skinned ability. If they could run while they sneak up or could get a single power weapon I'd change my mind on them.

helvexis
08-05-2009, 02:08 AM
i completely agree with the helions the mandrakes and to a lesser extent the scourges.. i run 5 scourges depending on the mood im in iether lances or cscannons but ussually lances just sit them up high and start shooting hq's and things like nob bikers with them and the begin to really annoy people... sure i would love a 3rd ravager.. i just dont have one to use :/

havent really run a wych list past 750 pts so wont argue but there fun and useful for killing everything on the table but they cant hold an objective and never should.

BuFFo
08-07-2009, 12:41 AM
In my local area, including my local 'Ard Boys locations, the Nightmare Doll still functions normally.

I wanted to know, as Dark Eldar players, how often do you take a Nightmare Doll?

Me? Its pretty much standard in all my lists, just like the Goblet of Spite.

helvexis
08-07-2009, 01:03 AM
umm nope i dont take it not any real reason i suppose just never have.

do you use drazhar in your retinue i like to use him instead of an incubi master.
and question to his swap rule, dont have codex on my and cant remember exact wording, it says something along the lines of swap before attacks have landed cant remember if it says all or not because that would be fun keeping draz at the back and swapping him in after yuor archon attacks but before your opponent just a thought i had recently

BuFFo
08-07-2009, 01:09 AM
umm nope i dont take it not any real reason i suppose just never have.

do you use drazhar in your retinue i like to use him instead of an incubi master.
and question to his swap rule, dont have codex on my and cant remember exact wording, it says something along the lines of swap before attacks have landed cant remember if it says all or not because that would be fun keeping draz at the back and swapping him in after yuor archon attacks but before your opponent just a thought i had recently

Thats how it works.

The problem is that in this edition, the bodyguard rule, even though still allows switching, does nothing because the Archon is in a retinue, and as such, he just counts as one of the models in the retinue and cannot be picked out individually by enemy models.

So yes, you can switch models, but in this edition, doing so really does nothing as wound suffered by the retinue is applied to the Archon as well.

Lord Inquisitor
08-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Because you made me feel stupid, it was on like the 3rd or fourth page.
As I am starting a Dark Eldar army, have ordered the codex from my store and won 10 Warriors and a Raider on ebay. I'm looking at starting out with a 750 point army, for the tournaments we have at my store every month. From not knowing any point values I'm roughly guessing on having 1 Archon, 5 or so Incubi, more or less than 30 Warriors, 1 Ravager, and a Raider for every infantry squad. So what kind of tactics are good for this army? Got any good tips for playing with Dark Eldar? What kind of wargear should I give my guys? For anyone with a codex it would be appreciated if someone could get a rough points estimate for my army so I don't go buying to much. As I won't get my codex until next Friday.

BuFFo
08-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Because you made me feel stupid, it was on like the 3rd or fourth page.

Normally I would respond with my typically dry and sarcastic humor, but you had me at hello.

As I am starting a Dark Eldar army, have ordered the codex from my store and won 10 Warriors and a Raider on ebay. I'm looking at starting out with a 750 point army, for the tournaments we have at my store every month. From not knowing any point values I'm roughly guessing on having 1 Archon, 5 or so Incubi, more or less than 30 Warriors, 1 Ravager, and a Raider for every infantry squad.

The models you have can come up to...

750ish lol.

Tooled out Archon + Incubi + Raider = 325ish

10 warriors = 100

10 warriors = 100

10 warriors = 100

Ravager = 120ish

So what kind of tactics are good for this army?

Take two dark lances in each warrior squad to snipe vehicles and hqs.

Get your archon into combat with anything and watch it die.

Get triple disintegrators on your Ravager to take down marines and terminators by the boat loads.

helvexis
08-10-2009, 02:47 AM
yep thats about right for pints and tactics sorry in other thread i thought you wanted a raider for your warriors as well which would make things expencive

oh those warrior costs are with the dark lances included you can also take 2 blasters for each ssquad if you want to drop the incubi to wychs just so that anything that gets within 12" will have 4 lance weapons fired at them :)

Commissar Holt
09-01-2009, 05:07 PM
I haven't played Dark Eldar since 3rd Edition and have recently started getting back into playing them. I've noticed people mentioning wargear such as Animus Vitae, Horrorfex, Nightmare Doll, etc., but I can't find any info on these things in my codex. Where can I find rules for this wargear?

Tom
09-02-2009, 04:52 AM
Normally they're found with the wargear descriptions, just after the army unit entries, however you may have the first edition of the codex (that is; the first edition of the third edition codex).

Tom

Commissar Holt
09-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Normally they're found with the wargear descriptions, just after the army unit entries, however you may have the first edition of the codex (that is; the first edition of the third edition codex).

Tom

Hmm, that might be it. They're definitely not listed in the wargear choices and the copyright year on my codex says 1998.

Hokiecow
09-03-2009, 05:54 AM
Hmm, that might be it. They're definitely not listed in the wargear choices and the copyright year on my codex says 1998.

You'll have to buy the new codex if you want the correct rules for all the new goodies and updated old ones.

Commissar Holt
09-03-2009, 03:08 PM
You'll have to buy the new codex if you want the correct rules for all the new goodies and updated old ones.

Seems like I'm gonna end up doing just that. I thought about waiting for the 5th Ed. codex to come out, but I'm sure GW will end up postponing its release once again.

bunker_o_matic
09-03-2009, 06:22 PM
I'd say lots of raiders with double darklances and night shields is the way to go.

crazy_irish
09-04-2009, 04:05 AM
I'd say lots of raiders with double darklances and night shields is the way to go.

Double Darklances? you mean 1 DL on the raider and one in the squad?

Why is anyone playing a DE Gunline. I realy can't understand.

I play my DE fast and evil. Meaning:

Lord with about 5 Inccubi and 1 or 2 warriors.
Raider with Fex

wych squad(7) with the usual and succubus with agoniser
raider with fex

maybe a second wych squad

a few raidersquads, either gunboat, or super gunboats:

gunboat:
5 warriors 1 SC, 1 shredder, syb with fex, raider with dissi

supergunboat:
10 warriors 2 SC, 2 shredder, syb with fex

5 warriors, 1 DL, raider with dissi
10 warriors get into the raider at the start of my game, and the 5 warriors take up a sniping position

the rest of the points are usally spend in 2 ravengers. 1 with all DL one with all Dissi. somethimes nightshield.

thats it. about 1500P.

Taktik:
My hole army goes against a part of his army(coming over one flank)
fexes can be very nasty so use them!

jep, thats my tacic

Commissar Holt
09-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Here's my 1000 point army:

HQ
Drachon - Combat Drugs, Plasma Grenades, Punisher, Shadow Field, Tormentor Helm

TROOPS
Raider Squad 1
8 Warriors - Blaster, Splinter Cannon
Sybarite - Agonizer, Plasma Grenades
Raider - Disintegrator

Raider Squad 2
9 Warriors - Blaster, Splinter Cannon
Raider - Disintegrator

Raider Squad 3
9 Warriors - Blaster, Splinter Cannon
Raider - Disintegrator

HEAVY SUPPORT
3 Ravagers - Dark Lance, 2 Disintegrators

The Drachon is joined to Raider Squad 1 and all three squads try to get stuck in close combat as soon as possible. Meanwhile, the Ravagers fly around and shoot stuff.

Lord Inquisitor
09-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Raider squads can only take one special weapon. other wise looks pretty good. Might want a Dark Lance sniper squad though.

helvexis
09-05-2009, 01:02 PM
arent you allowd iether one dark lance or splinter cannon And iether one shredder or blaster? so hes fine for the list

Dunadan
09-05-2009, 01:17 PM
A few bits of info I've discovered in my experience:

Don't move into to do any kind of shooting from your raider squads(in raiders) at rapid fire range until the squad you are shooting at has been whittled down and could potentially be wiped out in the shooting. Otherwise the survivors will find a way to blow you up.

Speaking of Raider, squads, I generally equip mine with a Blaster and a Splinter Cannon, and give the Raider a Dark Lance and Horrorfex(though it might be better to give the 'fex to a sybarite).

Kroot Mercs(Chapter Approved 2003 should be viable in friendly play) are an excellent addition to the army. I ran some basic Kroot Carnivores, and threw in an Eviscerator-wielding Shaper. Stick them in some woods and blast away.

3x Disintegrator Ravagers are your friend.

Commissar Holt
09-06-2009, 02:28 AM
Raider squads can only take one special weapon. other wise looks pretty good. Might want a Dark Lance sniper squad though.

arent you allowd iether one dark lance or splinter cannon And iether one shredder or blaster? so hes fine for the list

The rules for the raider squad state:
"Up to one model may be armed with a shredder... or a blaster..."
"Up to one model in the squad may be armed with either a dark lance or a splinter cannon..."

I believe helvexis is correct in his assessment.

JavaKnight
09-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Did any one ever use warrior squads with 2 x DL and 2 x Blasters with a Sybrite and Agoniser.
About 8 units of 10 interlaced to get a 4+ cover save shooting every thing in range and let the Sybrites with agonizers do their thing to every thing in charge range.

Farmer
09-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Did any one ever use warrior squads with 2 x DL and 2 x Blasters with a Sybrite and Agoniser.
About 8 units of 10 interlaced to get a 4+ cover save shooting every thing in range and let the Sybrites with agonizers do their thing to every thing in charge range.

No,because Sybrites with Agonisers make the unit expensive when it really doesn't need to be.

In small games,yes it would be acceptiable but in large games it's pointless.

If you wanting an idea for it the best loadout your going to get is a 8 man raider squad with splinter cannon and blaster.

JavaKnight
09-08-2009, 06:04 AM
How are you going to kill any thing with a high toughness in close combat if it gets to you?

Denzark
09-08-2009, 09:59 AM
I have been messing with Dark Eldar since 1998, and my love for this army knows no bounds.

Keeping things short and sweet....

If you have any tactical advice to play as or against Dark Eldar, or if you have any questions regarding Dark Eldar in particular, I will try my best to answer your questions.

Let the gates to Commorragh swing wide open to all who dare enter!

If the gates of Commorragh swing any wider there is a real danger you may disappear up your own warp portal.

PS that's what passes for what my colonial cousins call smack talk would love to offer your pointy eared skulls to Milord Khorne.

Havik110
09-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Lately I have been playing a wych cult. I play 1850 a bunch and that gives me about 56-63 wyches (depending on how im kitting up) and 3 ravagers with full lances...every raider has a horrorfex.

a few keys to this army.

- Unless you are playing hoards, using dissys on the ravagers = killing the troops your wyches should be killing. use lances...
- pop rhinos asap, wyches for the most part are useless for anything other than killing troops and carnifexes
- never leave home with at least 1 squad with haywire grenades. when you run into monoliths your will thanks me. they can never move more than 6 so you will always hit them easily and sometimes people forget to move them. This has been hapening more and more with Lemun russ squads too!
- turbo 24 with your raiders the 1st turn pretty much every time now. with mech armies being so big now I keep the ravagers back with night shields and knock out transports. If someone shoots at a raider i have 50% to ignore (chances go down depending on # of shots I know) and if they shoot down a raider they then need to kill the wyches. If you kill 1 squad i have 1 more and 2 I have 5 more. Most I have lost using this tactic is 3 raiders and 2 whole squads and i still won that game...
- I know its been debated and people will tell you the rule book faq on pinning ruins it but horrorfexes pin fearless creatures. (they either pin them or they dont work at all based on the faq that the words pinning check is in the codex but not under the horrorfex) My shop didnt like it but raw is raw and now the 2 other de players at my store use it too (They are pretty game breaking so dont use them on anyone you want to be friends with) . If you dont like it tell gw to faq it or finish our codex...

Valkerie
09-23-2009, 12:04 PM
IMO you should always take night shield on your vehicles. It effectively makes your vehicle six inches further away from shooting attacks. In my last game, a SM vet squad with plasma guns, walked on the board, 12 inches away from my raider. Potentially very double plus ungood. My night shield put the raider out of rapid fire range, and since the Marines had moved, they couldn't shoot at all. My raider survived long enough to drop a squad of Wychs on the veterans, wiping them out. It also means melta guns can't get their extra dice for pen. Not that they really need it, but every little bit helps.

The main reason the DE work so well now, is that they aren't played much, so most people don't really know what they can do and how to stop them. Right now, I'm the only one who is playing them in my LGS.

Lord Inquisitor
09-24-2009, 06:45 AM
It also means melta guns can't get their extra dice for pen. Not that they really need it, but every little bit helps.

I'm pretty sure they still get the second dice. Night shields only take down the range for range.

Havik110
09-24-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm pretty sure they still get the second dice. Night shields only take down the range for range.

nope...if you are 6 inches away from a vehicle with night shields and plan on shooting at it you are for all intensive purposes 12" away from it...this means if you are 7" you can't double tap, if you are 19" you can't hit it with a bolter and if you are using a melta gun where you need to be 6 inches away to get melta, you cannot use the melta rule ever because you have to be an inch away from the model and night shields then make you 7 inches away (**unless you assaulted it last turn and it did not move**)

40kGamer
10-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Sweet. You guys are giving me some great ideas! I love fast armies - I played Mech Eldar in 4th, picked up SM bikes&speeders in 5th and now am migrating toward a Dark Eldar Raiding party. I actually like their codex and am not overly enthusiastic about any update. A new dex will probably nerf them! :p

BuFFo
10-02-2009, 10:40 AM
A new dex will probably nerf them! :p

Agreed....

Glad to see you on board the sexy DE train! All aboard!

40kGamer
10-05-2009, 10:54 AM
It's amazing how easy it is to win games through speed and maneuver. It takes a lot of effort and you are seriously punished when you make a mistake, but overall I'm in love! I erased a marine player from the board by turn 3 in a 1k game last week and even squeaked past an Eldar army! Our wimpy cousins are plenty fast too!!! :p

I need to paint more troops!!! ;)

BuFFo
10-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Yeah, what other races, especially Marines, have been learning in the past few years is that in 40k, the most important phase is the movement phase, and Dark Eldar are the kings of the movement phase.

I am glad you have found a new home with the Dark Eldar, and have found the secrets to using the army for victory. many new DE players quit after a few games because they can't grasp the concept of a 'speed wind' army in table top games.

Squirrel_Fish
10-06-2009, 09:18 PM
So I've been considering taking a delve into the dark side of the space elf side (Eldar player here!) and have been experimenting with a few Kabal builds.

Would you say that it would be more effective to throw Night Shields on *everything* as opposed to buying another Raider squad/Ravager or whatnot?

In my latest 1500 point build, I have 4 Raider Squads (Sybarite w/ Agonizer, Splinter Cannon), Archon w/ Incubi Retinue in a Raider, 2 Ravagers and a Warrior squad with 2 Dark Lances. All skimmers have Night Shields. I believe that this would make all my units a little more survivable, but I also feel that it's moot considering the army still a glass-cannon.

Therefore, could it be more effective to just go with more Raider squads or another Ravager?

Silver
10-07-2009, 07:38 AM
personally, id take the night shields off the raiders and give the sybarite a terrorfex. youre hoping to prevent a melta from getting its 2D6, the raider is going to die anyway with its AV10 and +2 to the table (+1 for the AP1 and +1 for the open topped).

the terrorfex gives the possibility that the unit you are shooting will be pinned and not shoot back. it also keeps them stuck in one place so if it is a vulnerable position (such as in the open), then you can make use of their mistake for another turn.

the ravagers should have disintegrators aswell.

i suggest giving the raider squads blasters aswell. their manouverability would mean if they come up to a tank, theres 1 DL from the raider and 1blaster from the squad. nasty...

~Silver

ZCMI_Nig
01-01-2010, 03:39 PM
I've played Dark Eldar for 10 years. The first 8 I had little success. but then I thought "Go back to basics". Do what it says in the book - Strike Fast, Strike First, Strike Hard! Basically, lob your assault units down the throats of anything that can stop you achieving your objectives (Devvie Squads, Tanks, CC Units). Wyches will even pull down Genestealers and Berserkers IF they get the charge! (I have had 10 Wyches wipe out 12 'Stealers without them getting a hit back!).

Splinter Cannons can kill Terminators (weight of shots).

The other thing I have learnt, and this is very general, is never give up! Keep shooting and hiding, and sometimes it comes good!

On the subject of the fabled new codex, given the form of the recent codexes, the new codex will mean DE are even more awesome. And those whinging that the new codex has been too long coming, think of this... how much of the old codex doesn't work now? NOT MUCH!! Yes, the models need a revamp.

BuFFo
01-01-2010, 11:40 PM
The current DE codex is a thing of beauty.

me_yourself
01-04-2010, 01:42 PM
couldnīt agree more. It has certainly aged with dignity. except for s few units htst can go and hide in the closet.

anyway, I have been playing De for a short while now in comparison to the board elders. But Iīd like to talk about the DE army where you donīt play any raiders at all. cause frankly, they die quickly so either it is a lot or none at all. Usually I play a raiderlist (9 boats totalt). But I have tried playing them without boats and found that it actually worked quite well. I did manage to win a tournament without raiders(though the list had ravagers). But it was 1k pts which was definitely in favour of that kind of list. being able to take double the normal amount of weapons can be quite a boon, especially with scannons it turned out to be.

BuFFo
01-05-2010, 12:38 PM
That is a secret I like to use myself that 99% of online list makers never seem to do.

I take a swarm DE army, packing in 120 Warriors for under 1200 points, which leaves enough for a cheap but deadly HQ and a few Ravagers.

My opponents hate facing so many warriors. Except for my Chaos opponent. His Plague Marines make short work of my entire force if they can get into hand to hand, which they normally do lol.

islyfe
01-11-2010, 09:02 PM
I wish I could this much dakka with my Eldar.

1500 Pts - Dark Eldar Roster

1 Dracon @ 180 pts (Terrorfex)
1 Retinue
5 Warriors (Splinter Rifle x3; Splinter Cannon x2)
1 Raider (Dark Lance; Nightshields)

5 Wyches @ 150 pts (Close Combat Weapon; Splinter Pistol; Blaster x2; Combat Drugs)
1 Raider (Dark Lance; Nightshields; Torture Amp)

5 Wyches @ 150 pts (Close Combat Weapon; Splinter Pistol; Blaster x2; Combat Drugs)
1 Raider (Dark Lance; Nightshields; Torture Amp)

5 Raider Squad @ 120 pts (Splinter Rifle x4; Splinter Cannon; Raider)

1 Ravager @ 140 pts (Disentegrator x3; Nightshields)

Total Roster Cost: 1500

Mr. Smith
01-13-2010, 08:30 PM
^ That's a shiny list, sir. Though I worry about either close combat specialists and heavy weapons. they looks like the bane of this list.

BuFFo
01-13-2010, 09:55 PM
^ That's a shiny list, sir. Though I worry about either close combat specialists and heavy weapons. they looks like the bane of this list.

Wyches eat close combat specialist for breakfast.

Curk39
01-14-2010, 09:01 AM
Everything in the DE army is useful some how...except for scourges. nah even they have their uses.

The main problem with the army is alot of it relies one luck, whilst space marines comanders have 3+ armour save and a 4+ invunerable save as standard whilst an archon has comes with a 5+ armour save and has the option to get a 2+ invurable save until it fails. Problem then is what do you the 3 lasgun wounds do you take them on the his normal save and dice with death or risk taking them on his shadow field. Then there is the chance that the first invunerable save you have to make fail and he is killed out right by a lascannon.

The other risk are quite obvious such as webway portals or having your archon's raider shot at crash and make your archon call his mother to come and give him and his friend a lift because he didn't have road side insurance.

Some of the less apealing units have there place:

Talos: are much slower than most dark eldar units and do not belong with a raider, jet bike army but arm a monster(ous creature) in close combat, whilst it is not the kind of thing that can take out a terminator squad by itself it can cause havoc amongst squads which are meant for ranged support.
Alternitively it can be used as a distraction, show it stats to your opponent and tell them that you are going to use it against their 10 man tactical squad with missle launcher. They must then decided either to direct their efforts against the talos allowing a chance for your raider squads to get where they need to or ignore it and allow it to first tie up a squad then destroy. Each option is bad but they will have to 'choose their own poison'.

Scourges: In theroy the idea of the jump infantry with heavy weaponary sounded good and was later perfected with the tau jet pack. but with scourges it was flawed, they are expensive, half the time can't fire their weapons and take up valuable Heavy support slots. With this said they do have so good things, They have alot of fire power a five man squad can obliterate lone characters and with four dark lances they will make monstrous creatures and vehice shake in their boot (or treads as the case may be). 4 splinter cannons are dangrous against hoare armies. But keep in mind whilst they put out alot of damage with toughness 3 and a 5+ they won't take much in return.

Grotesques: it is obvious what their strengths are but they are very situational, most times they are played they will stand in front of a warrior squad protecting from assault whilst giving a 4+ cover save, which is good that's their job, but is it really worth the 150 points? The other option is a rather dirty tactic of using them as bait, most people haven't heard of grots and have no idea what they do so, telling them that they have a toughness 3 and no save. Tell them after they have rapid fired into them that you can't hurt them unless you're a necron (the guass rule), you don't have to tell them that their storm bolters can't hurt them unless they ask. Often then they will charge them because they have no other option or because they are angry from being tricked and will be looking for some revenge (it's fun to tell eldar players 'Strike them down with all your anger and your journey to the kinky side will be complete'). Just make sure that the squad you are temping doesn't have too many weapons over strength 6 cause leadership 5 is not going to keep you there.