PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Guard 2000 pts.

Necrontyr
12-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Gentlemen,

Would any of you be interested in giving me some feedback on this list I just created? It's a pretty standard Guard list, 1997 pts., with the only anomalies being that I use Forgeworld Chimera autocannon turrets instead of multilasers. Thanks for your input.

2000 Pts - 5th Edition Roster

HQ: Company Command Squad (9#, 285 pts)
4 Company Command Squad @ 285 pts (Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon x4; Lasgun x2; Carapace Armour; Krak Grenades; Regimental Standard; Vox Caster; Heavy Flamer; Meltagun x1; Bodyguard; Bodyguard; Master of Ordnance; Chimera)
1 Company Commander (Frag Grenades; Refractor Field; Carapace Armour; Krak Grenades; Plasma Pistol; Power Weapon; Senior Officer)
1 Bodyguard (Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon; Laspistol; Carapace Armour; Krak Grenades; Look out - Arghh!)
1 Bodyguard (Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon; Laspistol; Carapace Armour; Krak Grenades; Look out - Arghh!)
1 Master of Ordnance (Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon; Laspistol; Carapace Armour; Krak Grenades; Artillery Bombardment)
1 Chimera ((IA1, pg. 128); Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Turret Autocannon; Heavy Flamer; Hunter Killer Missile; Pintle Storm Bolter)

HQ: Lord Commissar (1#, 90 pts)
1 Lord Commissar @ 90 pts (Frag Grenades; Refractor Field; Bolt Pistol; Carapace Armour; Power Weapon; Stubborn)

Troops: Infantry Platoon (27#, 357 pts)
1 Infantry Platoon @ 357 pts
4 Platoon Command Squad (Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon x4; Lasgun x1; Vox Caster; Grenade Launcher x1; Meltagun x1; Plasmagun x1; Commissar; Chimera)
1 Commissar (Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Bolt Pistol; Power Weapon; Stubborn)
1 Platoon Commander (Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Bolt Pistol; Power Weapon; Junior Officer)
1 Chimera ((IA1, pg. 128); Heavy Bolter; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Turret Autocannon; Hunter Killer Missile; Pintle Heavy Stubber)
7 Infantry Squad (Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon x6; Flak Armour; Lasgun x7; Vox Caster; Grenade Launcher x1; Heavy Weapons Team)
1 Heavy Weapons Team (Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon x1; Flak Armour; Lasgun x1; Missile Launcher)
1 Sergeant (Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Laspistol; Close Combat Weapon)
7 Infantry Squad (Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon x6; Flak Armour; Lasgun x7; Vox Caster; Plasmagun x1; Heavy Weapons Team)
1 Heavy Weapons Team (Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon x1; Flak Armour; Lasgun x1; Heavy Bolter)
1 Sergeant (Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Laspistol; Close Combat Weapon)

Troops: Veteran Squad (10#, 170 pts)
9 Veteran Squad @ 170 pts (Carapace Armour; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Close Combat Weapon x9; Lasgun x3; Vox Caster; Shotgun x3; Heavy Flamer; Meltagun x1; Plasmagun x1; Grenadiers)
1 Veteran Sergeant (Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Carapace Armour; Plasma Pistol; Power Weapon)

Heavy Support: Ordnance Battery (3#, 440 pts)
1 Ordnance Battery @ 440 pts (Basilisk; Medusa; Medusa)
1 Basilisk (Earthshaker Cannon; Heavy Bolter; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Pintle Heavy Stubber)
1 Medusa (Medusa Siege Cannon; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Heavy Flamer; Enclosed Crew Compartment; Pintle Heavy Stubber)
1 Medusa (Heavy Bolter; Medusa Siege Cannon; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Pintle Storm Bolter)

Heavy Support: Leman Russ Squadron (2#, 425 pts)
1 Leman Russ Squadron @ 425 pts (Leman Russ Battle Tank; Leman Russ Demolisher)
1 Leman Russ Battle Tank (Battle Cannon; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Lascannon; Heavy Bolter Sponsons x2; Pintle Storm Bolter)
1 Leman Russ Demolisher (Demolisher Siege Cannon; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Lascannon; Plasma Cannon Sponsons x2; Pintle Storm Bolter)

Troops: Veteran Squad (11#, 230 pts)
9 Veteran Squad @ 230 pts (Carapace Armour; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Close Combat Weapon x9; Shotgun x6; Grenade Launcher x1; Meltagun x1; Plasmagun x1; Chimera; Grenadiers)
1 Veteran Sergeant (Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Carapace Armour; Plasma Pistol; Power Weapon)
1 Chimera ((IA1, pg. 128); Heavy Bolter; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Turret Autocannon; Hunter Killer Missile; Pintle Heavy Stubber)

Total Roster Cost: 1997

Created with Army Builder - Try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com

Lord Azaghul
12-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Ok seriously don't post in army builder format, that is the hardest thing to read.
Simply type stuff like:
HQ1 130pts
CCS: Power weapon
Vets: meltax2 vox, medic
Body guard.

Necrontyr
12-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Okay, I'll do that next time. Any thoughts on the list?

Unholy_Martyr
12-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Well...I'm gonna jump all over this list so I hope you don't take offense:

1) From what I can tell you have almost everything mounted up in Chimeras, while you have your Infantry Platoon and one Veteran Squad hoofing it. Is that out of preference or part of your overall strategy?

2) Mixing of the Special Weapons: I'd be careful with this as in trying to make units ubiquitous you are actually detracting from the strength. Just taking one weapon of each isn't really going to help you out in the end. (i.e. The Company Command Squad with one Melta Gun Rolls up to the side of a Land Raider, rolls to hit: 2...Kiss the Command Squad good-bye). You should try and pile on the pain with these weapons as many of them are cheap.

3) Carapace on your Command Squad: Unless you plan on these guys being on the receiving end of a fusillade of fire, or using Plasma, I would vote against it.

4) Carapace on the Veterans: I personally like it, but if the guys are going to be doing Drive-By's all day long and you don't intend on them getting shot up, I'd invest the points elsewhere.

5) The random Missile Launcher on the 1st Squad of the Platoon: Were you just trying to add some reach on these guys or is this a model issue. If it is a point issue, I believe that can be remedied in any of the above modifications, or even below.

6) Ordanance Battery: I would split these guys up into two different batteries...The minimum range of the Basilisk is the Maximum range of the Medusa...see where I'm going with this?

7) Vehicles in Squadrons tend to benefit from redundancy, if you want to keep the demo in there, I would add another or split these guys up.

Those are my thoughts, hope they help.

Necrontyr
12-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Thank you for your input! This is exactly what I need. I've been deployed for over a year, and I haven't yet had an opportunity to try the Guard under 5e rules.

1.) Well, I didn't have enough pts left to give everyone Chimeras, so I prioritized the Cmd Sqd and Vets. I figured they could be doing drive bys and generally making a mess of things while the rest of the guys either hold the line or hoof it to the obj.

2.)My thinking was that I wanted my Cmd Sqd to be able to shoot and scoot to wherever they were needed most. That's why I gave them a Flamer and a Melta. Plus, I've got that Master of Ord. in there to provide some extra pain where I can. I don't know what I might be up against, so I leaned towards the general purpose build.

3.) In all of my previous games, my Cmd Sqd was indeed on the recieving end of lots of fire. I figured for the low cost of carapace armor I could save myself a lot of grief. Then again, they are going to be in a Chimera, so that could go either way.

4.) Same as 3.)

5.) I have Steel Legion, so missiles are standard. However, I have many heavy weapons to choose from. What would you suggest instead?

6.) That's a great point. Thanks.

7.) I only have one Demo, but 3 Russ, so unless I buy another Demo, I'm stuck with the one. Might be worth the investment.

Thank you very much for your input.

Unholy_Martyr
12-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Understand what it's like to be deployed and to feel like you're on a new planet when trying to get back into the swing of things. Well with your feedback, I guess I can throw some suggestions.

1) With the way you have your fire base set up, I would want my Infantry Platton to act as the anvil and everything else act as the hammer. With a few adjustments, you'd be able to make anyone cry when being crushed between the two. For this, I would have the Platoon Command Squad dismount and give up their Chimera for the other Veteran Squad, this way you can keep them in range of your Infantry for their orders without having the desire to run around like a group of gang bangers. Also, with these guys beiing Steel Legion you may like this. I would get a few more squads and if you have the models try and do two or three squads with the same Heavy Weapon (i.e. 3 Missile Launcher Squads). Combine them, and then you have 3 Heavy Weapons that you can Twin-Link, 3 Twin Linked anything would be pretty satisfying. Additionally, if you're oppoenet messes up and gets within Rapid Fire Range you could do First Rank, Fire; Second Rank, Fire and someone will be on the receiving end of 60-90 Lasgun shots...for horde armies and the incoming Tyranids, this tactic would be priceless.

2) What Heavy Weapons to use? Very good question, if you want to be competitive, Autocannons are always a safe bet as you can reach out to just about anything, good against Light Armor as well as Infantry. Missle Launchers fill in this role as well being able to switch between Frag and Krak; however, at this point it becomes a matter of preference and what you face. Lascannons aren't really worth the points especially when you have so much that can make Heavy Armor cry already (Medusa, Basilisk, the Master of Ordanance (when he hits), Demolisher, Melta Veterans). Heavy Bolters...well you may as well just go with the Autocannons and make it a sure bet as well as garner yourself some time. For you I would recommend Missile Launchers/ Autocannons, the former for the fluff and the models you own, the former as they are just amazing. You're going to want the extra something for Infantry and the like.

3) With the Squadron I would try it out with the two you have first, then try it with 2 Leman Russ Battle Tanks instead and see which produces more results for you.

4) I'm thinking just mount up and ditch the Carapace on those folks and use the left over points as party favors for your foot sloggers.

That's what I got this round, let me know if there's anything else.

On a side note, you can take a look at a list I threw together just for funzies for an Apocalypse game with a 40 man combined squad that included 4 Lascannons...you'll see how it could work out.
Here's the link: http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=3908

Necrontyr
12-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Thank you. I will try your suggestions out. I do have 3 autocannons in my arsenal, and they are Krieg, so they blend with my Steel legion nicely. I believe I will take two autocannons instead of the ML and the HB. Also, your suggestion of dismounting the HQ and mounting the Vets sounds better to me as well. Two mounted vet squads on the flanks, inf. plt. in the middle, and the tanks and artillery should make a good combo. I plan to try this list out next week when I am in an area with a GW. I still am trying to get the hang of the new orders system, but so far I really love "First Rank Fire, Second Rank Fire." I've been matching some of my Guard vs. my Chaos and this seems to work pretty well. Thanks again.

Jwolf
12-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Comments on efficiency in the list:

The pintle weapons are wasted points; enough to get you another Chimera.

The Commissar should be in a Platoon Squad, so that you can make a blob of doom. Give at least 1 Sarge a Power weapon.

Give your commander a powerfist, not a power weapon.

One Bodyguard is awesome; 2 is wasted points.

Lord Commissar is wasted unless you have a bunch of HW Teams, which you do not have. So ditch him.

You lack adequate flaming. Ditch the Basilisk, get a Hellhound chassis.

Valkyrie Chassis are the best thing in the IG Codex. Get one, no matter what you are cutting to get it.

Necrontyr
12-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Wow! The famous Jwolf himself has looked at my list! I am honored, sir.

I will definitely look hard at your ideas and will probably implement all of them. This list is getting unleashed at a GW location next week. I will be sure to add battle reports, although I must admit that I am not an expert, certainly not with 5E since I've been gone a year and a half overseas. I had already strongly considered getting a Valkerie, probably the tank-killer variant with the Lascannons, now I will get one for sure. Thanks for your input.

Necrontyr
12-18-2009, 10:49 PM
I am not able to give my commander a power fist, because of WYSIWYG. He's modeled as a power weapon, and I don't have any power fists to give him (Krieg). However, I did remove the pintle weapons from all but the Russ's and was able to squeeze another Chimera in there. Also, traded the Basilisk for a Hellhound and the Lord Commissar for two regular Commissars. As soon as I can, I will get a Valkerie. Any input on which Valkerie variant is the most bang for the buck?

Sam
12-18-2009, 11:42 PM
For Valkyrie variants I would go with either a Vendetta for anti-tank or a Valkyrie with Multiple Rocket Pods for anti-infantry.

Jwolf
12-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Generally I preferthe Valkyrie, as you can move 12" and shoot a multilaser and 2 large blasts. I might take a Valkyire, or get the FW conversion kit and magnetize to do either.