PDA

View Full Version : Campaigns vs. pick-up games

ThePov
08-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Okay, this is kind of an open-ended question, but I'm wondering which the other BFG admirals play more, dedicated campaigns or just normal, pickup games? I think the stock campaign system for BFG looks great, but I can imagine getting enough players to commit to it could be an issue. Me, I'm obssesed with narrative gaming, but because of a lack of competition, I pretty much only get the VERY occasional pick-up game in (which is sad, because I love the game, and I think the set roster of a campaign would likely add a lot of tactical and strategic depth to an already very deep rule set).

So, which do you play?

unsafercat
08-03-2009, 12:17 PM
in my short history of BFG playing, i've found a well run campaign to be far more enjoyable than pick up games

Khestra the Unbeheld
08-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Pick-ups mostly. A campaign would be fun, though.

Psychosplodge
08-10-2009, 02:09 PM
I've only ever played against my mate at bfg, and the problem I found was he knew countered appropriatly the make up of my limited sm fleet, whereas the size and depth of the chaos fleet in comparison didn't allow me the same options, So I suppose I would have faired better against a more balanced opponenet in pick up games that wouldn't know n exactly what he was facing...

L192837465
08-10-2009, 03:26 PM
A campaign is amazing.

1) you actually use the disengaging rules to effect. "you mean my ship will fight better in the next engagement if i don't die like a little girl!? AWESOME!"
2) it actually requires strategy and planning to pin an enemy (especially in a "map campaign")
3) your crews can gain experience, as they should, and you actually grow attached to named ships. naming a ship "The Unkillable" and having it survive 18 engagements is very awesome.
4) Necrons don't just flat out win, because you can deny them fights until you have the upper hand.
5) multiple people in the same engagement fighting for different objectives that no one else know of is an amazing experience.

and 6) you can't tailor a fleet to beat someone.

just_chris
08-13-2009, 06:39 AM
Campaigns are much more fun than one-off games, for reasons already listed well by L19. But I have found the campaign system included in the rules to be somewhat borked - we've found that one mistake or bad defeat early in the campaign leads to a downward spiral of misery for the remainder of the campaign - although it's probably just a balance issue. I'm working on building some new campaign rules, but don't hold yo breath as it's not a Priority Gaming Project.

Evil & Chaos
09-02-2009, 07:33 AM
I prefer BFG in campaigns than in one-off games.

Horus Aximand
09-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Although campaign games are fun, it is often fairly hard to get enough players in my local area together to play a campaign. Despite the fact there is one currently running in my FLGS, I cant afford to travel in every thursday to play.

However, when I get the chance to play the campaign games, I usualy find they are far more fun to play then usual PUGs

horizon
09-03-2009, 02:22 AM
Would love to play a campaign but getting a single game is already diffucult to do!

Ivarr
10-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Would love to play a campaign but getting a single game is already diffucult to do!

You ain't just whistlin' dixie...I love campaign play, but it is so very much easier to get a pick up game than managing to get a group of players to show up regularly for campaign...even when I have run league play, different people show up each week and it is hard to get anything cohesive going.