PDA

View Full Version : Red Scorpions Marines 1500pts (for weekly Games Night use)

Culial
12-19-2009, 06:48 PM
HQ
Chaplain: Jump Pack, Plasma Pistol, Melta Bombs - 135pts

Elites
Dreadnought: Multimelta, DCCW, Heavy Flamer, Drop Pod - 150pts
Dreadnought: Multimelta, DCCW, Heavy Flamer, Drop Pod - 150pts

Troops
Tactical Squad: 10-man, Plasma Gun, Plasma Cannon, Apothecary - 210pts
Tactical Squad: 10-man, Plasma Gun, Plasma Cannon, Apothecary - 210pts
Tactical Squad: 5-man, Sgt. Bolt Pistol & CCW, Razorback w/Extra Armour - 145pts
Scout Squad: 5-man, Sgt. Bolt Pistol & CCW - 75pts

Fast Attack
Assault Squad: 10-man, 2x Plasma Pistol, Sgt. Power Fist & Plasma Pistol - 260pts
Land Speeder Storm: Multimelta - 65pts

Heavy Support
Thunderfire Cannon: - 100pts

OK, that all comes to a total of 1,500pts right on the head.

The only substitutions I came up with when building the list were:
- Replace the 2 Dreads in Drop Pods with a squad of Sternguard Vets in a Pod, with 2 Meltas & 8 Combi-Meltas and Combat squad them after drop.
- Swap the Scouts & LS Storm for another plain Tac Squad in a Razorback.
Would either of these fare better then the options I included in their stead?

The plan would be:
- Plasma-Tacticals camp on/near an objective and blaze away
- Thunderfire behind their line, gets a cover save from them, uses it's 'no-cover-save' rounds
- Dreads drop in enemy deployment zone to tank hunt/tie up nasties
- Chaplain & his Assault buddies get all up in the opponents grill, kill what they can and generally be annoying
- Scouts in the LS Storm in reserve/hide in deployment zone and late-game objective-grab/snipe late kill points with multimelta
- Razorback Tacs same goals as Scouts

Please can someone give me some feedback on this list?
I'm very out of practice & tend to be rather indecisive when it come to sticking to a list.
I need a set list, with a set strategy, and a set batch of models to work on painting.
Is this it? :confused:

rkiviman
12-19-2009, 08:52 PM
It should come to 1500 pts or under it. That is unless you and your opponent agree that 5 pts doesn't matter. After all we're out to have fun, but that's an agreement you would have to make before the game starts.

Rapture
12-19-2009, 11:51 PM
I dunno.... going over is pretty lame. You can very easily stay under and you know it so I can't see why you wouldn't.

Culial
12-20-2009, 05:15 AM
OK guys, the offending 5 points is gone :)
List updated.

Basically I just wanted that little extra 'oomf' for the Chaplain from the digital weapons, and couldn't find anywhere else to take it from without grossly compromising another units performance or usefulness.
Never mind, all better now! :D

Can I hear what you guys think about the list in general now?
Should I have used the alternatives I came up with, or stick to what I put in?
Can you think of a unit that'd perform a job better to one I've included?
Am I just generally barking up the wrong tree?
Well? :p

Nikephoros
12-20-2009, 07:34 AM
The scout squad is a waste of points, realistically. And the razor back squad is pretty useless as well.

I would...

Go three tactical squads with Plas/Plas and apothecary, pay for this by dropping scouts, dropping razorback, and dropping the plasma stuff in the assault squad.

My list...

Chaplain - jump pack, digital weapons - 125
3x Tacticals w/ apoth, plas/plas - 630
2x dreads with HF, drop pod - 300
Assault marines w/ PF - 205
Thunderfire Cannon - 100
2x Land speeder w/ MM + HF - 140

Total: 1500

Culial
12-20-2009, 08:42 AM
My only problem with those changes are that the scoring units have no mobility at all.
With 2/3 of the missions (for now at least) involving objective grabbing that's a bit of an issue...

And would you run the Speeders as a Squadron or individuals?

Why is it that you say the Scouts a waste?
Just curious, I've got 4 squads of 'em in various configs...

Nikephoros
12-20-2009, 09:09 AM
In my experience with objective missions, you only need to hold one to win. You can contest the other objectives, or just erase your opponent off of them. Your tac marines can easily hold at least one objective thanks to feel no pain and should have no trouble trading shots with any shooty unit in the game.

I would run the land speeders individually.

Scouts aren't particularly good at CC and 5 scouts are going to do much shooting. As you have them configured they are just existing to do a last turn objective grab or be a nuisance. Thats pretty passive for a space marine army. I'd rather have units that actively do something to the enemy. Especially in low point games, you dont want to put too many points into units that can't bring the pain.

Rapture
12-20-2009, 10:47 AM
I dig the land speeder storm, it is a bold choice. However, that BS 3 multimelta is only hitting 50% of the time. I don't know the stats for destroying a vehicle with it but I am much more fond of the templates that come with the Heavy Flamer.

Holding back the scouts can be a tempting choice, but I like getting them in there to stir up some trouble as soon as possible. If you see you opponent a nice squish target don't hold back. Adding a Power Fist to the sergeant (WS 4) will allow you to smash a vehicle or maybe an unprotected IC. Since you are drop podding a dreadnought on the first turn maybe you can have them work together and really cause some mayhem in your opponents DZ.

Scouts are fun and Land Speeder Storms are even more fun. Making the most out of them requires a little creativity and some luck.

Culial
12-20-2009, 11:43 AM
I dig the land speeder storm, it is a bold choice. However, that BS 3 multimelta is only hitting 50% of the time.Hmmm, hadn't thought of it like that...
If I drop the Multimelta & the Melta Bombs I'll have enough to replace them with Digital weapons (yes, again!) and the Heavy Flamer!

Still having problems finding the points to give the Scout Sarge a Fist though...only way I can see is to leave off one of the above and drop the Heavy Flamers on the Dreads, and that'll make the Dreads a fair bit less effective by my reckoning...
any suggestions?

Scouts aren't particularly good at CC and 5 scouts are going to do much shooting. As you have them configured they are just existing to do a last turn objective grab or be a nuisance. Thats pretty passive for a space marine army.Well...yes...but it looks pretty cool, doesn't it? :D
and there is also this;

Scouts are fun and Land Speeder Storms are even more fun.