PDA

View Full Version : Looking for painting advice for old, primed models

jayheretic
02-06-2014, 04:38 AM
Having been collecting models and wargaming for the best part of 2 decades I have finally been getting into painting them up over the last few months - yes, a bit pathetic.

Anyway, some of my models have been primed over the years, typically just with a layer of Black Citadel Spray - so my question is whether I can go straight over this (after brushing off the dust) or would those with much more experience than me recommend stripping them and starting again? Would the benefits of being primed have worn away over time?

Thanks

Wolfshade
02-06-2014, 05:17 AM
If the coat is in good order, and dust free then yeah why not paint away.

I would say, that you may want to check to see how thick the layer is and if it is obscuring detail. If it is then it might be worth stripping and repriming a thinner layer.

Stripping is quite easy to do with things like Detol or other products depending where you are in the world.

jayheretic
02-06-2014, 12:25 PM
Thanks Wolfshade - I think I will end up stripping the paint - i used to be pretty generous with the primer and most of the models seem to have areas here and there where the spray has gone on very thick.

I was only familiar with using acetone for paint stripping - is using Dettol safe for plastics?

Wolfshade
02-06-2014, 06:01 PM
Yeah perfectly: http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?27672-Blood-Angels-3rd-Company-Ironhelms&p=275283&viewfull=1#post275283