PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Guard 1,500pts (Catachan)

BlueRonin
12-23-2009, 12:31 PM
I have a tournament coming up in March, and this is the list I'm currently working on - comments appreciated:

Catachan 1500pts

HQ: Company Command Squad (6#, 205 pts)
4 Company Command Squad(Medi-pack; Plasmagun x3)
1 Company Commander (Plasma Pistol; Power Fist)
1 Chimera (Heavy Bolter; Turret Heavy Flamer)

Elite: Guardsman Marbo (1#, 65 pts)
1 Guardsman Marbo

Troops: Veteran Squad (11#, 180 pts)
9 Veteran Squad (Shotgun x6; Meltagun x3)
1 Veteran Sergeant (Shotgun; Power Fist)
1 Chimera (Heavy Bolter; Turret Heavy Flamer; Dozer Blade)

Troops: Infantry Platoon (42#, 370 pts)
1 Infantry Platoon
4 Platoon Command Squad (Flamer x4)
1 Platoon Commander (Laspistol; Power Fist)

7 Infantry Squad (Grenade Launcher x1)
1 Heavy Weapons Team (Autocannon)
1 Commissar (Bolt Pistol; Power Weapon)
1 Sergeant

1 Sergeant

1 Sergeant

6 Special Weapons Squad (Demo Charge x1; Flamer x2)

Fast Attack: Vendetta Gunship Squadron (1#, 130 pts)
1 Vendetta (Twin-linked Lascannon x3)

Fast Attack: Valkyrie Assault Carrier Squadron (1#, 130 pts)
1 Valkyrie (Multiple Rocket Pods x2)

Heavy Support: Ordnance Battery (1#, 135 pts)
1 Medusa

Heavy Support: Ordnance Battery (1#, 135 pts)
1 Medusa

Heavy Support: Hydra Flak Tank Battery (2#, 150 pts)
2 Hydra Flak Tanks

The battle plan is to build my formation around the two Medusas, covering them with the Hydras and protecting them with the Infantry Platoon (usually combining squads so all benefit from one commissar and the occasional single order).

The two Chimeras move up along the near flank, ideally finishing off units hurt by the Medusas and Hydras.

The two skimmers outflank, dropping their passengers for suicide missions as soon as necessary, supported by Marbo. They can then be used as gun platforms or transports as necessary

Merry Christmas! :)

Unholy_Martyr
12-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Nice to see a Catachan list after all this time. I like the theme and the idea; however I am slightly confused.

Questions:
1) You mention using your skimmers to Outflank and dropping off passengers for suicide missions. Who would be the passengers in this instance? I am assuming your special weapons squad would be one.

2) Why keep the hull-mounted Heavy Bolter and go for the Turret Mounted Heavy Flamer? Wouldn't you rather have a little higher strength with the Multi-Laser, or is this something you have modeled already?

With that said, I only really have one suggestion, try and fit in an Astropath. That way you can have your Valkrie and Vendetta show up with a higher likelyhood of arriving when you want them, where you want them.

That's all I've got, hope it helps.

BlueRonin
12-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks for your input, Unholy_Martyr; you are right about Special Weapon Squad being passengers of the Valkyrie - the Platoon Command Squad are the passengers of the Vendetta (as they are equipped with flamers and need to get out of their vehicle to fire anyway).

I've been thinking about Advisers, but in the case of the Astropath my skimmers would turn up earlier, and to be honest I'd rather have them arrive in turn 3 or 4 and react to the battlefield - either dealing with a persistent threat or providing mobility to take objectives. As for the Officer of the Fleet, I simply don't face that many opponents who have figured out that Reserves is a good thing :)

I play pretty aggressive with the Chimeras (hence the dozer blade, which has saved me from getting immobilized on numerous occasions), and considering the passenger load-out with Melta/Plasma the Heavy Flamer is good for cooking a few exposed troops after the squad inside has popped a transport.

Thanks for your comment, though; especially on the army type - I do indeed like the Catachans! I've been working on this army for a while, I plan to share some pictures when the Hydra and Medusas are finished (taking my time, practicing a lot of the techniques presented in Forgeworld's Model masterclass book - very enjoyable).

SlavesToDarkness
12-23-2009, 03:12 PM
I looked at it and, personally, I think it's pretty solid.

I definately think Power Fists on the veteran squad and platoon command are useless. They'll just get killed in assault before it can even be used anyway. When playing IG, just assume you'll lose every assault except with big, blobs of comissar-led guys.

Every point in an IG army is precious. Look at it this way: if you dropped all the powerfists, the plasma pistol, the dozer blade and all the grenade launchers (useless anyway - flamers are way better) you can score 75pts which is enough for a THIRD Hydra.

But why Hydras anyway? Doesn't feel very Catachan. How about Griffons? They are worth their weight in F**KING platinum. Remember: the damn things cause pinning checks at -1! Not that Hydras are bad, but they are such a default, go-to tank. You've got autocannons already. See how Orks like 3 x huge templates that can force them to go to ground!

Rafe_131
12-23-2009, 03:13 PM
I might suggest taking out an auto cannon team and having two squads with flamers. Reason being, by March there are gonna be a lot of 'Nid armies seeing a table top. The extra template weaponry may pull your butt out of the fire. (pun intended) Plus,with two Hydras, you have all the AC fire you could need.

BlueRonin
12-24-2009, 07:26 AM
I definately think Power Fists on the veteran squad and platoon command are useless (....) if you dropped all the powerfists, the plasma pistol, the dozer blade and all the grenade launchers (useless anyway - flamers are way better) you can score 75pts which is enough for a THIRD Hydra.

But why Hydras anyway? Doesn't feel very Catachan. How about Griffons? They are worth their weight in F**KING platinum. Remember: the damn things cause pinning checks at -1! Not that Hydras are bad, but they are such a default, go-to tank. You've got autocannons already. See how Orks like 3 x huge templates that can force them to go to ground!

I agree there are too many fists, and to be fair painting up a couple new officers isn't that big of a deal :) The dozer blade is there because my Chimera has one, and I won't be doing another Chimera in the short-term (there are just too many other cool vehicles I want).

The same goes for the Griffon - in the short-term - but I'll certainly take a look at it as I expand beyond teh current list. I just haven't had the opportunity to try it yet - but I'm curious about it and the Colossus/Bombard.

I have Hydras because they are cheap, points-wise; and I personally don't have a problem seeing Catachan with them, it's the heavier Russ hulls I'm not quite jiggy with as a 'tank-top' player :)

I might suggest taking out an auto cannon team and having two squads with flamers. Reason being, by March there are gonna be a lot of 'Nid armies seeing a table top. The extra template weaponry may pull your butt out of the fire. (pun intended) Plus,with two Hydras, you have all the AC fire you could need.

That is also a good point, now that I look at it - no need for two Hydras and three ACs in what will usually be a mobile squad of guardsmen.

Dropping two of the fists and the three ACs frees up 60 points... I could go hard for that third Hydra, as mentioned, but it doesn't look like that's really needed. I'd like to enclose the Medusa, though; removing the open-topped clause. If so, I'm left with 30 points I'm not quite sure what to do with... any suggestions? The biggest weakness I now feel is lack of ranged anti-armor firepower.

Regardless, thanks for more good input - I've already gotten more tips that I really expected - thanks and Merry Christmas!! :)

Unholy_Martyr
12-24-2009, 06:35 PM
I would personally enclose the crew compartments and throw extra armor on the chimeras. That's about the only place I can see dumping those 30 points, or maybe an advisor if you so choose.

BlueRonin
12-25-2009, 03:24 AM
Considering your feedback I'm currently at the list below, clocking in at 1470pts.

I see the purpose of Extra Armor, although I could only mount it on one of the Chimeras (the first is already built and painted, and I want to stick to a bit slavishly to WYSIWYG - there is a bit too much unpainted and "counts as" in my local community, and I want to try to set an example).

However, having lost the option to spew out ridiculous amounts of AC fire, I'm worried about how I deal with full Mech or Drop Pod lists, where I would have to pop numerous AV12 vehicles...

4 Company Command Squad(Medi-pack; Plasmagun x3)
1 Company Commander (Plasma Pistol; Power Fist)
1 Chimera (Heavy Bolter; Turret Heavy Flamer)

Elite: Guardsman Marbo (1#, 65 pts)
1 Guardsman Marbo

Troops: Veteran Squad (11#, 165 pts)
9 Veteran Squad (Meltagun x3)
1 Veteran Sergeant
1 Chimera (Heavy Bolter; Turret Heavy Flamer; Dozer Blade)

Troops: Infantry Platoon (42#, 325 pts)

4 Platoon Command Squad (Flamer x4)
1 Platoon Commander

9 Infantry Squad (Flamer x1)
1 Commissar (Bolt Pistol; Power Weapon)
1 Sergeant

1 Sergeant

1 Sergeant

6 Special Weapons Squad (Demo Charge x1; Flamer x2)

1 Vendetta (Twin-linked Lascannon x3)

1 Valkyrie (Multiple Rocket Pods x2)

Heavy Support: Ordnance Battery (1#, 150 pts)
1 Medusa (Enclosed Crew Compartment)

Heavy Support: Ordnance Battery (1#, 150 pts)
1 Medusa (Enclosed Crew Compartment)

2 Hydra Flak Tanks

Merry Christmas! :)

weeble1000
12-25-2009, 09:16 AM
Yea, I'd be concerned about having too many flamers and not enough autocannons. Flamer templates are fantastic for infantry squads, but it wouldn't hurt to put in two autocannons. I think your concerns about putting a heavy weapon in a squad that is going to be moving around are quite valid, but it looks to me like you're a little slim on AT firepower.

That said, you've got plenty of high strength weaponry on the table, but a lot of it is up close and personal. Your Medusas and Vendetta will be able to reach out and touch someone, but your Vendetta won't be on the table for most of the game and your Medusas will probably be very attractive targets. Autocannons have a nice, long range, pop transports fairly well, and make for an unattractive target next to a plasma-packed CC squad and a quartet of tanks.

karandras
12-25-2009, 10:26 AM
Maybe throw an outflanking sentinel with multilaser in there with the last 30 points. Normally, I would *** a Master of Ordinance, but it looks like your HQ will be mobile making him useless. A sentinel will generally do nothing but die, but there are occassions where those 3 Str. 6 shots have ended up taking out an Exorcist or Razorback from behind and been able to tar pit a unit of 15 Lootas in HtH. Just an idea.

Alternatively, if it's not a model issue, I might use the points to swap the Valkyrie into another Vendetta as you are a bit light on long ranged anti-armor.

SlavesToDarkness
12-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Yeah, not so sure with the Colossus. I haven't heard much, but it always fires indirect and is crippled by a massive minimum range of 36". By contrast, the Griffons have only a 12" minimum range and have the AWESOME "Accurate Bombardment" rule. You may want to consider a switch to Griffons in the future so you can cripple Tyranid armies.

That being said, I think with all the Hydras you won't have too much trouble with AV12 armies.

BlueRonin
03-19-2010, 05:38 PM
This is how the army turned out:

4 Company Command Squad @ 205 pts (Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon x4; Lasgun x1; Medi-pack; Plasmagun x3; Chimera)
1 Company Commander (Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Refractor Field; Plasma Pistol; Power Fist; Senior Officer)
1 Chimera (Heavy Bolter; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Turret Multi-Laser)

Troops: Infantry Platoon (49#, 437 pts)
1 Infantry Platoon @ 437 pts (Infantry Squad; Special Weapons Squad; Special Weapons Squad)
4 Platoon Command Squad (Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon x4; Flamer x4; Chimera)
1 Platoon Commander (Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon; Bolter; Junior Officer)
1 Chimera (Heavy Bolter; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Turret Heavy Flamer)
9 Infantry Squad (Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon x8; Flak Armour; Lasgun x9; Flamer x1; Commissar)
1 Commissar (Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Bolt Pistol; Close Combat Weapon; Stubborn)
1 Sergeant (Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Laspistol; Close Combat Weapon)
9 Infantry Squad (Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon x8; Flak Armour; Lasgun x9; Flamer x1)
9 Infantry Squad (Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon x8; Flak Armour; Lasgun x9; Flamer x1)
6 Special Weapons Squad (Close Combat Weapon x6; Flak Armour; Lasgun x3; Demolition Charge x1; Flamer x2)
6 Special Weapons Squad (Close Combat Weapon x6; Flak Armour; Lasgun x3; Demolition Charge x1; Flamer x2)

Troops: Veteran Squad (11#, 167 pts)
9 Veteran Squad @ 167 pts (Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Close Combat Weapon x9; Lasgun x6; Meltagun x3; Chimera)
1 Veteran Sergeant (Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Close Combat Weapon; Bolt Pistol)
1 Chimera (Heavy Bolter; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Turret Heavy Flamer; Dozer Blade)

1 Valkyrie Assault Carrier Squadron @ 130 pts
1 Valkyrie (Extra Armor; Searchlight; Multilaser; Multiple Rocket Pods x2)

1 Vendetta Gunship Squadron @ 130 pts
1 Vendetta (Extra Armor; Searchlight; Twin-linked Lascannon x3)

1 Hydra Flak Tank Battery @ 150 pts (Hydra Flak Tank)
1 Hydra Flak Tank (Auto-targeting System; Heavy Bolter; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Twin-Linked Hydra Autocannons x2)
1 Hydra Flak Tank (Auto-targeting System; Heavy Bolter; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Twin-Linked Hydra Autocannons x2)

Heavy Support: Ordnance Battery (1#, 140 pts)
1 Ordnance Battery @ 140 pts (Medusa)
1 Medusa (Heavy Bolter; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Medusa w/Bastion-breacher Shells)

Heavy Support: Ordnance Battery (1#, 140 pts)
1 Ordnance Battery @ 140 pts (Medusa)
1 Medusa (Heavy Bolter; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Medusa w/Bastion-breacher Shells)

Total Roster Cost: 1499

BlueRonin
03-19-2010, 05:52 PM
I took it to a local tournament (Strategikon 3) in Oslo, Norway and fought against Tau, Tyranids, two Ork armies (one Battlewagon list, the other a Green Tide), and a Space Wolf army.

I defeated the Tau and Tyranids, drew against the Orks (although we ran out of time in both games, while I was looking very good to take home the victory had we played on just one more turn), and suffered a narrow defeat by the Space Wolves. Several of the games were close, exciting matches.

My feelings on the list were that the powerfist was a waste (no suprise), and the Hydras didn't impress me much. I'll try to get another 15-20 games in with the list before I form a definite judgment, but I'm already looking at what else I can spend 166pts on.

On the other hand, I was mightily impressed by the Plasmagun squad and the Valkyrie or Vendetta and Special Weapon Squad combo, both performed exceptionally well! The Medusas also deserve a special mention, although their great performance wasn't much a surprise (although I loved blowing up two Battlewagons before the Ork player's first turn, despite his Kustom Force Field).

The army did make the beauty pageant, though; despite not having finished the weathering on my tanks (daughter was sick the last week, unfortunately; so I ran out of time) and I had to borrow a Chimera from a friend (I've had one on order for 6 weeks now, still hasn't arrived...).

The Beauty Pageant was filmed and published here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-li-3Cybwc (My army would be the Imperial Guard with the classic Catachan jungle scheme, 35 seconds in - the Autconnons have have since been smoothly re-attached) :)

For those who are interested in more reports and videos from the tourney visit one of the organizers' BLOG at http://xadh00m.blogspot.com/

Thanks again to those who helped me with some input on the list - I'll keep dropping notes on things I tweak until I'm happy with the current 'style' of list. I'll also post pictures when I get the weathering finished!