PDA

View Full Version : MOVIE MARINES vs Necrons

Norbu the Destroyer
12-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Well its almost Christmas and here at my FLGS a friend of mine wanted to play a game using the BOLS Movie marines. I havent gotten to play my Necrons in a couple weeks so we thought we would try them out. The marines will be hard to kill, 3+ armour with re-rolls, 4+ invul. and T6.

Hearing he was playing the Movie Marines I decided to use the best Cron force I could muster. We decided on 1750 and built our lists.

Mine
HQ
Deciever
Lord (warscythe, res. orb, phase shifter, destroyer body)

TROOP
10 warriors
10 warriors

ELITE
4 Pariah

FAST
3 wraiths
3 wraiths
5 Destroyers

HEAVY
1 monolith

MARINES

HQ
Sergeant (plasma ..(cough)..lascannon.(cough)...pistol, power fist
The "dude"

TROOPS
4 marines w/ H. bolter
4 marines plasma gun
Razor back.

Thats It!!

We roll mission and get 4 objectives (should help me except I only have two troops as well) and table quarters.

He wins the roll off and chooses to go second since it is objectives.

Board is light area terrain with the four objectives roughly in a 3' X 2' rectangle in the center of the board.

DEPLOYMENT

I put monlith as close to the center as deployment allows with pariah and Deciever safely hidden behind. Both wraith squads with the lord next to that. Destroyers behind wraiths. Warrioirs are sitting in reserve.

He places Razor back about 36" away with plasma gun squad and the dude. Sarge and H. bolter squad deploy in cover about 24" away and towards the center of the playing field.

TURN1

I turbo boost wariths and lord about 12" away from his marines in the open. Destroyers fly behind cover and shoot at the same unit and do no wounds. Monolith advances and fires at the same squad and puts a wound on 1.

Bottom 1 He moves up the razorback, everyone gets out and they unload on all the wraiths. When all is said and done, all of my wraiths are dead (so no WBB) and the lord has 2 wounds.

Top 2
One unit of warriors comes on so they walk behind a wall in my deployment zone to avoid any shots. Monolith and the units behind it move 6" forward agian. Destroyers shoot at the same marine unit as last turn and do a wound killing the previously injured marine (Hooray more than I was expecting). Mono shoots at the same squad and does nothing. Lord assaults the squad and they kill him before he even swings.

Bottom 2
He loads the dude and plasma unit back into razorback. Unloads on my destroyers and kills every one of them (so again no WBB) Its now end of two and all my destoryers and wraiths are dead and the lord is down. He has lost a marine.

TOP3
Other unit comes in from reserve and follows path of the first. I plan on hiding all game and dashing for the objective late. Monolith Ctan and pariah advance 6". Lord makes WBB, asaults the "dude" does a wound and they stay locked. Mono fires at razorback and causes it to explode. (thats how my lord was able to assault the "dude".

Bottom 3 Sarge moves to have LOS on Deciever and shoots his S9 assault 4 pistol at Deciever causing a wound. Squad with Plasma gun does 2 more wounds to the Deciever. Dude kills Lord. H. Bolter takes long rnge shots at warriors and kills 2.

Top 4
Lord makes WBB. Mono moves forward and shoots and does 1 wound to plasma squad. Deciever assaults Sarge, does three wounds in Melee killing him outright. Lord assaults H. bolter squad but dies in the process.

Bottom 4 He shoots Dude at Deciever and kills it. Deciever explodes and kills the marine with the wound and wounds another. Plasma fires at monolith and blows it up. He took 25% casualties due to the Decievers explosive death and rolls morale "8" Passes....oh wait Pariah within 12". This means they fail. Well Movie Marines have a re-roll and it says "9" . Unit breaks and falls back 6".

Top 5 Lord WBB and flies behind the broken squad to push them off the board at the bottom of the turn. Troops start making a dash for the objectives. One is in the other will take a turn. Pariah assault squad with H. bolter. Marines swing first causing 5 saves but the pariah make all their 3+'s. I swing my 3 attacks and cause 2 wounds. He takes morale, is stubborn so the -2 doesnt apply but the Pariah make them a "7". He fails morale and the re-roll so they fall back 10". My pariah consolidate after them and stay within 6".

Bottom 5
Both his units are broken and within 6" of one of my units so both run off the board. Dude fires at lord and kills it.

Top 6 Lord WBB assaults dude and kills him in melee. Game is over, no marines left.

Final consensus. Well most of the crazy marine trickery was ineffective vs the crons. My melee attacks negated all of their saves. My mono did not allow rending or crack grenades to get bonuses. My lord kept getting up (which was extremely lucky). Deciever can still kill charachters like nobodies business. Also, my opponent failed 4 straight Ld7 morale checks which is again extremely lucky.

So I was lucky on a lot of ends but it worked out. I like the movie marine list but if I hadnt been Crons I dont think I would have pulled this off. Hell even with crons I dont think I would do it again. Im glad BOLS posted the list. It was a fun game in the middle of a snowy day.

Ill have to come up with an 1850 list to bring to Adepticon Championships this year with my Necrons since they took out a bunch of Movie Stars.:)

person person
12-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Sounds like fun, always wanted to see a Movie Marines Battle Report. Always thought games with Movie Marines should be versus horde army, then get one person to be each marine or unit and see who can kill the most models for extra shenanigans.

Power weapons sound very important in games like these.

Okidus
01-27-2010, 01:53 PM
nice, I've always wanted to try out Movie Marines

Duke
01-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Great report, congratz on killing those pretty boys!

Duke